“We loved this resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“We loved this resort”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Our family spent Christmas 2013 week at the resort and enjoyed our stay. We had three-two bedrooms through an Interval timeshare exchange. Several weeks prior to arriving, we requested that the units be together and our request was well met. Our 3 units were on the 2nd floor, of a 4 unit second floor, just across and down the hallway from each other. The units were kept spotlessly clean and had daily maid service which is not the norm for a timeshare. The 2 bedroom units were very spacious and we had plenty of room even when the 3 families gathered in one unit for dinner or Christmas morning celebration. The furniture and decor were dated but in good repair. The kitchen was well stocked which allowed us to reduce expenses by eating our meals in the units. However, recommend, if you want to have meals in the unit, bring your food with you. The resort is remote and there are not many grocery stores in the area. The only downside in the units was that two of the units had just had the coils on the heaters cleaned and the residue had not completely burned off which resulted in a bad odor being present for a time after we arrived. Housekeeping attempted to cover the odor with Fabreeze, but that didn't work well. Beds were a bit hard and if you have neck issues, bring your own pillow. The pillows are large foam type.

The activities are extensive and well run. The family enjoyed the skiing which is on- site and was not very crowded over Christmas. There was no wait for the lifts. Many in the group got quite good at Bocce Ball available in their activity center. We also took advantage of the bowling center, bingo, line-dancing lessons, the welcome free wine and cheese reception, and the kids "Bouncing" equipment facility. There were many more activities which we didn't have the energy or time to participate. The resort is compact which made getting around quite easy, especially since there were several shuttle buses running constantly and there was never more than a several minute wait to get one. Only exception was getting shuttle service to/from the ski chalet. A call must be made, but service persons all appeared to have walkie-talkies and requests for that shuttle-run were handled efficiently.

I'd highly recommend this resort for families.

Room Tip: Call them in advance for requests. Rooms facing the main hotel building have an excellent view of th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
long Island
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was hesitant in booking at Villa Roma because of the negative feedback, but I have to say it is better than I was expecting. I have only two complaints: 1 - the beds are soooo small. I'm assuming they are full size. It was my husband, daughter and myself. After the first night of being squished, we asked for a cot in the room and all was fine. 2 - (and most annoying) was the herd of elephants above us. If you are going to book here, ask for the 2nd floor with no one above you. The floor/ceiling is very thin and you hear EVERYTHING. There had to be about 12 people in the room above us because there was constant heavy walking and running. Unfortunately we slept according to their schedule. No sleeping late during our long weekend vacation. <sigh> Otherwise, we had a great time. There is lots to do, the people are very nice and the place is well kept and clean. There are a lot of complaints about the place being decor from the 70's/80's. This is true, however, it is well maintained. If you can look beyond the throwback decor, you'll have a great time. There were also complaints about the food. We found the food to be pretty good, especially the desserts. Food could have been hotter, as most came out lukewarm, but still edible. Would I recommend Villa Roma? Yes. Would I go back? Maybe. I liked it, but wasn't overly impressed to say "I can't wait to go back!" I would probably try during the summer to see what they have to offer or come again alone with my daughter and her friends because I feel comfortable and know my way around without my husband accompanying me. Otherwise, I would try somewhere else before giving Villa Roma another shot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvcamping1234
New York
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have been having my Annual Red Hat Ladies Convention Weekend Getaway since the Fall of 2009 here at the Villa Roma. All of the ladies have enjoyed themselves tremendously and are looking forward to returning again in October 2014. The food choices, accommodations, service have always been outstanding and some of the ladies have even come back with their families, friends and other groups in between their yearly convention participation. As the organizer (group leader / Queen Mother) of the convention, some of my friends and I have come to the VR at other times such as for the Irish weekends, the Italian Festival Weekends and on several other occasions; and each time we have been extremely satisfied. If you want to keep busy, there are lots of activities scheduled; if you just want to relax, may be go swimming, it's all up to you. At night the VR provides a "special" entertainer -- I would like to suggest that you check out their website; see what's going on; get onto their mailing list; the VR resort could be just what you are looking for!!

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites (have 3 beds; a large bathroom; a living room; 3 TVs) There are other option...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank QM_RedHatter_2007
Guttenberg, New Jersey
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We used an extra timeshare week at my wife's insistence and I expected to be bored all week. Boy, was I surprised. I went horseback riding, rode a Segway, played indoor tennis and hiked around the area. There was (wooden) horse racing & turtle (real) racing. We played Pictionery and charades. My wife (not me) enjoyed bingo daily. Nightly entertainment was good. Food was only OK which is why I gave it 3 stars instead of 4. We ate dinner in town 3 nights; the 1906 Restaurant being the best of a good selection. There was a Murder Mystery Weekend our last 3 days. It was lots of fun. Kudos to Doc Holiday, the entertainment director for making the week interesting. We are actually considering going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steven R
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Villa Roma!

We are glad you were able to experience some of our great activities like horseback riding and segway riding! There are always lots of activities going on at the Villa Roma from early in the morning to late at night!

We have a variety of places to eat on site at the Villa Roma. There is the Roman Garden Café, Ronnie’s Deli, The Clubhouse, The Dining Room, and The Beachwood’s Grill. Each dining area has many options and are different ranging from large 5 course meals or just a bite of pizza! We apologize that your dining experience was not a positive one.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the Murder Mystery Weekend! This is one of our most popular weekends. It has fun filled activities all weekend and keeps you in suspense and wanting more! We will give your positive review to Doc Holiday! He is a great asset to the Villa Roma and keeps all our guests entertained year round.

Thank you again for your review! We hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2013

It is the second year I visit this resort and can't be happier.
The resort is really great. Installation are updated and service is excellent.
My unit was part of a timeshare exchange and I choose a two bedroom/two bath unit because I was expecting another traveler that cancelled plans at the last minute.
The unit is fantastic, very comfortable and peaceful.
The views are great as it is all the Catskill area.
The amenities are excellent too. From a nice size pool, Jacuzzi, sauna room, game center, to good restaurants and bars, to the impressive lobby with good oldies playing in the sound system..
But what is most important is the feeling of being welcomed and appreciated that result from the great staff that make your stay a fantastic experience.
I will be back. .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are glad you had a great time!

We are constantly updating our resort from our timeshare rooms to our WIFI. There is always something we are looking to make better for our guests!

There are plenty of activities to do at the Villa Roma. We have lots of facilities to interest all of our guests whether they are children, families, couples, or elders.
We take pride in our resort and want to make sure all guests feel welcomed and have that sense of the Villa Roma being their “home away from home”. We are glad we were able to make you feel that way!

Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was here for a conference a few weeks ago, and had a wonderful time. I'll start with the few minor things that didn't bother me at all, but that I could see some other people worrying about.

- The place is gorgeous, but severely dated. They get a lot of senior groups going through there, and it shows by how they've kept the decor (if you want to be kind, call it "retro"). if you like modern and sleek, this is not the place for you.

- The surrounding area outside the resort doesn't hold much in the way of things to do, particularly in the colder seasons. If you're the type who wants to go away and then go out and about to explore, and you don't like nature/scenic byways, then this isn't the place for you. There is a large variety of things to do right on the resort though, even for free/cheap. Still, you need to come in with the right attitude otherwise you're better off somewhere else.

- Certain things are a bit on the pricey side. They have package deals that includes a variety of stuff, but if you pay as you go, it can hurt the wallet a bit. It's to be expected a little bit considering A. Most resorts are, and B. There is little in the area to give competition to this place, so they have little incentive to lower their prices. I've seen worse, just be aware before you go or it may surprise you a bit.

-Be ready to walk... a LOT. it's a big resort, with a sprawling layout, built around nature. This means a lot of walking, and a lot of ups and downs with inclined hallways throughout. It seemed like there were certain rooms that simply could not be reached without going up/down at least a small flight of stairs, so if that's an issue for you, be sure to work that out with them when you make your reservation.

If you can handle those things, you should have an excellent time. All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. And I was particularly impressed with their cleaning staff. On the first day of our conference the lobby was an absolute disaster area (our fault, not theirs) and in just a couple of hours a crew of what I think was only 2, maybe 3 people (there could have been more i didn't see though) had that place looking like no one had been there. Then, later on, someone had dropped a jar of honey on the floor/carpet...which if you've never cleaned spilled honey, is NOT fun to clean... and the gentleman and woman responsible for cleaning did so quickly, with a smile on their face and friendly comment/explanation for all the curious onlookers streaming by on their way to the show in the night club. If it was me, I would not have been happy, and I'm sure they probably weren't, but it never showed.

That's the kind of service that was all around the resort, which makes a huge difference in whether your trip is a success or not. Mine was a success, and I would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100s and 200s are closer to the variety of amenities they have like the night club, poo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Derek S
hungarya
Reviewed November 29, 2013

It was haven of tranquility, beautiful food, good service. Rooms are sparsely furnished. Rooms were very clean and air conditioned. Good location for the important historical sights and the national parks. It has a beautiful swimming pool.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Villa Roma with us!

At the Villa Roma we have many places to dine on site. There is The Roman Garden Café, Dining Room, Ronnie’s, Beachwood’s Grill, and The Clubhouse. There are always a variety of meals to chose from ranging from if you want a 5 course meal or just a snack!

Even though there are many activities and facilities to visit on site at the Villa Roma, the area is a beautiful place to visit! There are many local sites to visit including Bethel Woods, Monticello Raceway and Casino, Lander’s River trips, wineries, farms, Fort Delaware, and much more!

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we love to hear from our guests! Hopefully we will see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Woodloch Pines Resort
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!