“Great Place for a Family Vacation”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had a really nice time at Villa Roma for my in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary. We stayed for 4 nights/5 days. I would definitely recommend it for a family vacation as there are a lot of activities for kids and adults. There are a few cons - parts of the resort are tired, the evening entertainment was so-so, and the dinner seemed a little assembly line and not very personalized. However, the pros outweigh any complaints. First the rooms - we were in a renovated room - not super fancy but comfortable and clean. Phyllis kept our rooms very clean and did so in a very timely manner. The pools are awesome - lots of different areas so our toddler could swim with us in the big pool but be independent inthe kiddie area. I read a lot about people saving chairs which is 100% true - but we never lacked for lounge chairs - they may have just been a little further from the pool then we would have liked - no big deal. There was a nice bar and a little cafeteria for a quick bite (but the hotel was close enough if you wanted something more substantial). We ate 2x at the cafe in the lobby - the staff there was so accommodating and nice - never made us feel unwelcome even though we changed tables on them :)

There were a lot of other things to do there - there is a very nice playground and a whole area for bouncy houses which was the favorite of our 3 year old. My husband went horseback riding and I had a facial which was awesome (I think it was Karen but my apologies if i have her name wrong).

Last but certainly not least, was the dining room. To be fair, it was not my style, but our servers - Edson and Jarou (pls forgive me if my spelling is incorrect) were AMAZING. We were with them for breakfast and dinner and they bent over backwards for us. No request was refused at our table for 10 and they were always smiling. The food was good and plentiful.

I would definitely recommment it for family travel. I feel like some of the reviews here were overly harsh - we had a nice time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We appreciate you writing such a great review regarding your vacation with us!

First off, we would like to extend congratulations to your in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary! What a milestone!

Our resort is the perfect place for any event. Whether you are holding a marriage, reunion, group outing, conference, social event, or a 50th Anniversary, we make sure that special day or weekend is taken care of.

We are happy to hear you were satisfied with your accommodations and that Phyllis took care of your needs. Phyllis is a long tenured employee of Villa Roma Resort, and truly enjoys her job as a chambermaid! We will make sure Phyllis is aware of your kind comments.

Whether you are a child or a grandparent, Villa Roma has something to offer everyone. We are happy to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy much of what we have to offer. The Inflatable Fun Land is a new addition to Villa Roma opening this past June. It has been a popular activity among the youngsters and we are happy this has been a positive experience for your child’s stay.

We certainly realize that Trip Advisor can be a place for guests to vent over some of the issues they may encounter at any resort or business. We take all of our guest complaints, suggestions, comments, and concerns, very seriously and look at what they have to say to improve. Some of the negative reviews we have are certainly over exaggerated, but we do our best to get to the root of any issue and correct it. We appreciate you realizing this and seeing our resort for what it truly is.

Thank you again for sharing such a wonderful review. We look forward to your next stay with us and hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went to Villa Roma in August. Stayed in a time share. Room was nice. Food was disappointing. Variety of free things to do... especially loved the water arobics & Zumba. (Great fun at Bingo, horse racing & turtle racing. $)

Haven't been to Villa Roma since August 2010. Big problem in 2010 & still in 2013 is the outdoor pools. People grab loungers, chairs & tables when the pool opens. Leave their stuff to mark their turf for the whole day & then leave. There is never seating for people who come later for a few hours of swim. There are arguments among guests & the Villa Roma staff is hopeless to help.

I have no intention of ever coming back to Villa Roma.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 3Peggy

We appreciate you sharing your review with us.

Our outdoor pool area is of course, one of the most busiest areas of our resort during the summer months. We have devised a system which has helped out greatly and gives all of our guests the opportunity to sit at the outdoor pool comfortably. There is an area that is reserved for late arrivals to start off with. We also have additional lounge chairs stashed away when the pool starts getting pretty busy. We also have instructed our pool staff that if you do have difficulty finding a seat, they will gladly help you.

It is disheartening to hear that you will never come back to Villa Roma Resort. Although there is so much to do and our staff cares a lot about our guests, we do understand that there are some out there that may not believe Villa Roma is suitable for them.

We appreciate you sharing your review with us and hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the villa Roma because of the views....We booked two room with breakfast and dinner....First night we went to dinner. They sat us at a table...The waiter came over and said get up ..You don't belong here...This is already taken..Go back to the person who sat you here.. We walked all over the crowded dining room. They sat us by the staff working area..I told them I can't sit there. Because I am not having plates passed over my head..After moving around three times..We were settled. We talked to them, and the next day service was better..The last day we had breakfast...We had to wait an hour..Because there was not enough waiters in the dining area...During the day we used the free mini van...We asked to be dropped off at the fishing pond...He said, Where are your poles? This is really for timeshare...He dropped us off...He said, call the front desk, and they will call me...I said our cell phones don't work up here...I can't pick you up...I was livid...I am a senior citizen...My legs were killing me... we rented the poles..just to have fun with the family...I told him you better pick me up...I am not going to be left here...We asked him to pick us up at 2;30...we had to find staff with a radio..He called the front desk for us...We bought drinks at the pool bar ..He was nasty...We tipped him. Still nasty,, Customer Service is everything...If you don't like your job..Work somewhere else....Maybe if you owned timeshare it's different...One Good thing..Doc is excellent...He does bingo, horse races, turtle races..He is great..Good luck at Villa Roma
by kathy

1  Thank Kathy W

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review with us.

We are sorry to hear that you had some issues in the Main Dining Room in regards to your seating. Traditionally, guests enter the Main Dining Room and see the maitre’d who will then seat you. This is done so it helps prevent the confusion of seating arrangements when guests decide to seat themselves.

Our shuttle service is complimentary and takes our guests throughout all areas of the resort. Our shuttles serve a lot of guests at any given time throughout the day and evening hours. Our drivers will be more than happy to pick you up at designated times as long as they are told to. Traditionally at any of the outside outlets, a radio or phone is usually available to call them back.

Doc Holiday is a huge asset to Villa Roma Resort. He has a very involved social and recreation program that keeps our guests busy all day every day. We are happy you had a great experience with Doc and will make sure he knows about it.

Thank you again for sharing your review with us, we hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been going to Villa Roma since I was a little girl. We are timeshare owners and look forward every year to week 33. I was really impressed with the renovations and remodeling that has been done at Villa Roma. It has been a few years since I was able to make the trip but i'm glad I did this year. We got to get away with our family and enjoy the time off. lots of family activities and something to do for all ages.

1  Thank Pina S
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been going to Villa Roma for years. We come up atleast twice a year. One for a family vacation and we choose have adult time so we come up on a theme weekend. We do stay in the hotel, the rooms are very clean and staff is awesome. The food is out of this world, i wish I could cook like they do, the dailiy activies and entertainment are awesome. The Villa Roma is a place that if you dont have a great time there, you will never have a great time any where. You will never be bored at the Villa Roma.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hi Dawn! We appreciate you writing such a wonderful review about Villa Roma!

Your review is an accurate reflection of what Villa Roma is all about! A place for families or a place for “adult time”. We accommodate couples, groups, conferences, local organizations, families, and so much more. Villa Roma is the place for everyone, no matter the time of year.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your meals here at our resort. We will make sure that our entire kitchen staff is aware of your great comments and commend them on their great work. Working in the kitchen, especially when we are in the peak of the season, is a daunting and challenging task, but they always seem to do a fantastic job!

Thanks again Dawn for sharing a great review with us. We look forward to having you at one of our theme weekends. Take care and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have been going to Villa Roma since I was a little girl and it has always been a memorable experience for my entire family. We are timeshare owners and look forward every year to week 32 as we get to reunite with family, friends and the wonderful staff at the Villa Roma. I was quite impressed while visiting last week since it has been a few years since I was able to make the trip. The grounds are still as beautiful as ever, there are new playgrounds for kids, water activities, more pools and they have built of bunch of new timeshare units. That alone shows the great demand for this wonderful vacation spot. My boyfriend, an avid golfer, throuroughly enjoyed his time on the beautifully kept course and raved about the views. There is never a dull moment at the fine family establishment. From the daytime pool activities and entertainment, to afternoon bingo, to dinner, shows and dancing - there really is something for all ages. I look forward to keeping this family vacation tradition going and hope that my kids get to make the same wonderful memories I have made at the Villa Roma.
Week 32 - We love you!!!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am in my early thirties and have been going to Villa Roma since I was under five years old! My family is a timeshare owner and we go the same week in August every year! Villa Roma has always been the vacation that I couldn't wait for all year long since I was a little girl!
Growing up as a young child going to VR, there was always plenty to do and there still is for young ones (my friends bring up their children now). There is a kiddie pool, turtle racing, contests, circus shows and a staff who plays entertains them with activities if you sign them up!
The staff has always been friendly and housekeeping keeps everything stocked and clean in our unit! Nightly entertainment is fun and is what I look forward to every year! Drinks by the pool bar are great, as well as the drinks in Marty's lounge at night! I usually go to the comedy shows at night before Marty's and the comedians are funny and worth going to! As far as food, the Club House serves great dinners and the Roman Cafe is good for breakfast or lunch! Restaurants are great in town and only less than 10 min drive (Pepinos, 1906 and Stone Arch Inn).
Villa Roma is a place that I would highly recommend for families and singles of all ages!

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
22 mi away
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
19 mi away
The Lodge at Woodloch
Fosterdale Motor Lodge(Closest To Bethel Woods)
Schrute Farms
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!