“Overall, a wonderful family vacation”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Long Island, NY
“Overall, a wonderful family vacation”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We made a last-minute decision to come up to Villa Roma during four days surrounding Christmas, based on some research a friend did and the fantastic price. We are a family of four -- me, my husband, and my daughters (ages 6 and 8), and the price of our room and the included meals for three nights came to around $1100, which involved one kid being free. We went for it with our expectations fairly low because of the cheap price.

We were certainly not disappointed! First of all, we made a point of ensuring that we received a recently renovated room. Our room had two queen beds, a desk, a cube refrigerator, a dresser with flat-screen TV, a night table between the beds, two wing chairs with a round table between them, and a bathroom with double sink and full bathtub. The room was very clean, and while the desk had no chair upon arrival, one was brought for us right away upon request. There is secured Wi-Fi access. The room was equipped with a heating/air conditioning wall unit that worked fine; in fact, the heat worked so well that typically, after having it on in the evening the room was so warm that we simply turned the unit on to "fan" and used that at night while we were sleeping. The only disadvantage to the room was that it adjoined the room next to it with a door, and you could hear EVERYTHING -- every word. Running the fan at night allowed us to sleep undisturbed, but I think that was partly because the family in the adjoining room were friends of ours and tried to keep quiet. I can only imagine how horrible it could be if it was a noisier, less cognizant group of people next door. Our bed was very comfortable, and while one of the other families we had traveled with had issues with their bed being noisy, the staff replaced it upon their request and they had no problems with it thereafter.

The breakfasts were probably the highlight of the food experience. We had Robert as our waiter the whole time we were there, and he was absolutely outstanding. Gratuities are included in your price, but we made sure we left him more from our three families. All together, we were a party of 13 people -- six adults and seven children (ranging in ages from 3 to 12), and he handled us with seamless professionalism. We all agreed that while the dinner fare was fine, it was mediocre if you compare it to fine dining experiences in regular restaurants. But it was certainly edible, and some of the dinner highlights were the chicken and wild rice soup, and the chicken with the tomato-wine sauce. We enjoyed the Caesar night on Christmas Eve, and there was live keyboard music by a talented fellow.

The best thing about this resort was the variety of activities, many of which involved no added cost. Our kids enjoyed the "horse racing" the evening we arrived, which involved someone rolling dice and the kids as "jockeys" moving numbered wooden horses over a tarp marked with duct-tape lines. Adults enjoyed betting on which numbered horse would win based on the dice throws. After dinner we checked out the area near the game room, which had a ball pit/climbing area for kids, as well as indoor shuffleboard and bocci. The first night there was a magician/juggler/comic in the lounge that was enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The next day, which was Christmas Eve Day, we went over to the building with the fitness center after breakfast, where there is a "fun place" with a bounce house, "spider climb" with inflatable slide, and a rock wall. Both kids and adults enjoyed the rock wall. Some of our group went for a tennis clinic for all ages next door, for which I was told the instructor was outstanding. After lunch, which we enjoyed at the on-property Ronnie's Pizza and Deli, we put the kids in the free Kids Camp for a little while, where they enjoyed crafts and decorating holiday cookies, while the adults hung out in the mezzanine lounge. Later we got the kids and took them to the turtle racing, which they enjoyed immensely, putting numbered live turtles in the center of a circular tarp and watching to see which one ran to the edge first as the adults rooted for the turtle they placed bets on. That day we also took our girls ice skating, which was the first activity we paid anything extra for ($15 with a skate rental for 90 minutes). While the rink is very small, it was not crowded at all, which was perfect for my little fledgling skaters. As it was near the end of the day, though, the ice was very choppy,and they don't use a zamboni to smooth the ice, but only a couple of shovels. But I wouldn't say this was a real problem. While we were skating, my husband and the other two men went off to play racquetball, for which they had brought their own racquets. Racquets are available for rental for raquetball and tennis, and you can either bring your own balls or purchase them there. The racquetball and tennis courts are available for a $16 fee for 90 minutes. After the Caesar dinner, we went to the mezzanine lounge and enjoyed listening to Doc Holiday and the pianist from dinner perform Christmas tunes. Santa was on hand giving out candy canes to the kids. Then as it serendipitously began to snow, we went across the road to the lawn, where there was a bonfire and free s'mores making before we called it a night.

The next day (Christmas Day) after breakfast, we went to the indoor pool. The kids loved the tube slide there, and my husband and I enjoyed the whirlpool. He also went for the sauna. There are massages available too, for a fee, of course. We then went for lunch at the Roman Garden Cafe, where the soup was delicious and the kids' mac-n-cheese was served in a dinosaur character souvenir bowl. After lunch, we put our girls in the kids camp, where aside from typical games and crafts, they would be making jewelry for a $6 per child fee. While our kids were in the camp, my husband and I went horseback riding (also a fee, of $40 per person for an hour). It was beautiful, with the light dusting of snow from the night before, and we saw lots and lots of groups of deer along the trail. We then played Bingo in the lounge, which was fun for adults and kids alike. Christmas dinner was served family style, and since we had some dietary concerns, the staff was extremely accommodating, serving a platter of fish instead of ham. The sweet potatoes were terrific, as was the mashed cauliflower with cheese. The turkey and fish were mediocre. After dinner, one kid in each of our families was in the "Kids Say the Darndest Things," run by Doc Holiday and his wife, Joy. He was wonderful in asking the kids questions, whose answers delighted the crowd. We then put the kids in the Night Camp, which was only $5 per kid from 9-12 pm, while the adults went to see Brad Zimmerman, the comedian. He was hysterical, and as we were chatting after the show and he was on his way out, he stopped and chatted with us for a bit.

The day we left, some of us went back to the rock wall area, while my older daughter and I went bowling. There was a nominal fee for this, and after playing two games plus shoe rentals, the bowling cost me about $12. I actually enjoyed the fact that I had to keep score the old-fashioned way, with a pencil and paper. The alley also had bumpers for the kids. We then went ice skating with the kids again before heading on the road for home.

One of the most outstanding features of this resort was Doc Holiday. The free entertainment throughout our stay was enjoyable and varied, and he had a wonderful personality and made us all feel truly welcome. His wife was lovely, too. Even though the weather conditions did not allow for sledding, tubing, or skiing, we still had enough to do for the amount of time we were there.

The only negatives were the frigid hallways, which also had a slightly unpleasant sort of dirty-sock odor. Not sure why, since it appeared new-ish, and was very clean. I think that this place was originally designed as a summer-only resort, so that there is no heat in the halls. It was slightly unpleasant to walk from warm rooms and lounges into such cold hallways. But it didn't really impact our overall enjoyment of our stay. I did not get to use the fitness center, partly because its location in a separate building made me less inclined to drag myself out of bed to work out.

If you are looking for a fun-filled family vacation for a reasonable price that's not too far from home (if you live in downstate New York or Long Island, as we do), then I highly recommend Villa Roma. There aren't too many Catskills resorts like this left with quality family entertainment. We're thinking of making Villa Roma an annual family tradition for this time of year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TheJodester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Preston, Connecticut
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We chaired the 20th anniversary of FinnFunn Weekend and selected the Villa Roma as its location. That was one of the best decisions we made. Working with Adam Jacobson and his staff helped make it one of the best if not the best weekend in the 20 years. The food was great; the service was also. The 140- plus attendees are still raving about the facillity and the food.The site was perfect for our need for multi-room use for sessions, open market and entertainment. The only drawback was that the driving time to the resort was long for people coming from northern New England. We would ecourage any groups or individuals who are planning an event or just want to get away to consider doing so at the Villa Roma. You will not be disappointed.

Anita and Jack Smiley

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jocko51
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went away for my Parents 50th anniversary celebration/ Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of fun family activities. My kids (5&3 yrs.) had a ball. They loved the balloonakiss show. I think it would've been better at a different time of year. Outdoor Pool looked amazing but since it was November we could not go in it. The indoor pool... while it was about 100 degrees in the pool room it was 30 degrees in the hallway outside. I was not going to take my kids out with wet heads. Every hallway we walked through was absolutely freezing! we needed jackets where ever we went because of it. That was annoying. Our room was in need of an update. Very clean but the furniture was from the 1980's. Extremely outdated. We had 3 separate rooms, all looked outdated. For the expensive price we expected it to be nicer. And since this was a gift for my Parents it was a little embarrassing. The lobby (and Christmas tree) was amazing. I just wish our room was as beautiful. Food was DELICIOUS & PLENTY! Cannot say enough about the food and amazing wait staff! Once they knew what we liked, it was ready for us before we even sat down. 2 wonderful women (I wish I remembered their names).

Room Tip: We paid more money for upgraded rooms maybe we just needed to ask for newly renovated rooms???
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angzki
York
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I travel to Villa Roma every fall and consistently enjoy the excellent food and beautiful mountain foliage. This year, because the main building rooms were at full capacity during our stay, we were offered a one bedroom villa. We are so glad we said yes. The space was very clean and consisted of a full kitchen (equipped), living room with flat screen TV and a balcony, very large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, and a bedroom which had its own sliders and balcony.
The walk to the main building was all down hill and manageable for us. We called for transportation when we weren't up to the walk and a shuttle arrived within minutes.
I must also mention that John, who I believe is a supervisor of incoming/outgoing luggage, went out of his way to help us upon our arrival and departure (minor confusion because of the room switch). A member of our group had a medical need and an EMT on staff was very helpful and prompt. During our stay the facility was also hosting a nursing convention, which unfortunately took over every square inch of the main building. The table displays crowded the walking areas and everyone in the dining room heard their evening announcements and speakers. They were a very nice group of people to share the week with and I consider the impositions a poor management decision of Villa Roma. The dining room wait staff is excellent. Our table appreciated the great service from Roberto and Maria. They make a great team and are very personable and attentive. A highlight of the week for me was the cooking show. Loved that. The blonde bartender in Marty's Lounge was rude and inconsistent with pricing. When the lounge was "busy" she refused to make frozen drinks. Very disappointing and ashame when so many other staff members are friendly and polite. The nightly entertainment was much improved this year. Doc Holiday adds an extra something special to the Forum also.

Room Tip: Book a villa if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lilliana321
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Villa Roma resort is like a world of its own. It is tucked away in the NY Catskill mountains far enough away from the large Northeast towns. You truly escape the traffic and large crowds and there are things to do for all ages. Adults truly enjoy the Bingo games in the afternoon or the horse racing fun where kids move along the sidewalk as they toss large dice. Since we are time-share owners we have not used the hotel part of the resort but we have not heard any complaints from the hotel guests by the three pools (two outside and one inside). The temperature of the outside pools in July was pleasant but I'm not sure in the fall and spring. I believe they may be heated but am not sure. Like most places with pools, including some cruises we've been on, the lounge chairs are gobbled up when the pools open. They keep trying to stop this from happening but people continue to mark their chairs with books and personal towels.

Some type of entertainment is provided in the nightclub each night. Normally the performers are better on Friday and Saturday nights but the other nights will have a decent comedian or singer as well. If you are into resort type sports (bocci ball, shuffleboard, softball, basketball, table tennis, handball) they are available. The resort also has indoor tennis courts,a small bowling alley, bocci ball courts, and shuffleboard for those rainy or cold days). They also have daily bocci and shuffleball tournaments for those who like to compete. One or two movies are shown each day for you movie lovers and line-dance classes are conducted a few times per week.

The golf course is a fun course to play since it is located on the hill next to the resort. The holes are laid out presenting up and down hill challenges with a number of holes having small creeks and ponds. If you are a beginner golfer take a lot of golfballs. The condition of the course has always been magnificent.

Food is available via a daily package plan or you're on your own eating in the coffee shop or the more upscale "CLUB" which is located over the golf shop. The CLUB has theme nights such as Seafood, Bar-B-Q, or Italian which can be found anywhere. The nearby towns of Jeffersonville or Callicoon offer restaurants as well. The Italian pizza restaurant in Jeffersonville (10 minute ride) is very good and reasonably priced.

For those of you who like to gamble the Monicello Raceway has horse racing and a slot machine casino. It is a 20 minute ride from the Villa. One day per week they normally run a bus or van into NYC for those who want to take in a play, shop or site seeing.

Small buses move around the resort constantly for those who have time-sharing units away from the main hotel building. They also take passengers to the club for golfing or food.

If you have kids this is the place for you. Our kids truly enjoyed themselves here and made a lot of friends throughout the years. They have daily breakout groups for kids of different age groups and keep them busy while you enjoy the sun by the pool.

Some things to be aware of:

Parking by the time share units is limited and if your party has more than one car you may have to park in a large lot on the other side of the resort. They give you one parking pass. The mini-buses are usually crowded after a nightclub show so be prepared to wait to get a seat. The time share week is from Sunday to Sunday in most places in the Catskills and most people go back home on Sunday. Be warned that traffic on Sunday afternoon heading back to NYC and NJ can be bumper to bumper.

Finally if you don't have fun at Villa Roma it's your own fault.

Room Tip: If you are time share be prepared to walk up and down the hill or wait for the mini-buses.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nafus1
Hackensack
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We just returned from a fantastic Rock N' Roll weekend. The food and service were wondeful. The entertainment was great. DJ Carol took us back to our teens at the sock hop, she not only played terrific music, she also gave us a quick detial on the records and those fantastic times that alot of us miss. We have also been to the Italian Weekend, which I must say was great as well. This made us decide to go back again. And we will go back again after this one.

Thanks to everyone at the Villa Roma!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ny,NY
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Villa Roma Resort. It was Thanksgiving week and I rented a timeshare for the week for our family to spend some quality time together. Everything was just about perfect. Food very good and great quality and quanity, room although a bit dated it was very comfortable. Maid service came a few times and did the basics. Plenty to do do for the children as well as the adults. Liked it so much looking to go back in the summer.

Thanks Villa Roma for a helping us make wonderful memories!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you can it is easier to be in the Main Hotel especially with Children. We did have to wait about...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mfh143
acarlucci, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with us!

We appreciate that you chose Villa Roma as your place to stay during the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Thank you for taking note of the abundance of activities we have for all ages. Whether young or older, we have something for the entire family from morning to night, even during the holidays!

We are so happy to hear you want to return for the summer! If you think you had plenty to do during your stay during Thanksgiving, wait until you see what we have in store for you in the summer!

Once again, thank you for sharing your review with us, we greatly appreciate it. We hope you enjoy the holiday season!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Woodloch Pines Resort
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!