“Finding a Place Like This is Why I Love to Travel!”
Review of The 1906 Restaurant - CLOSED

The 1906 Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Callicoon caught our eye as we drove by; we turned in on a whim. Likewise for this restaurant: we stopped to look at the menu because we loved the look of it. As I said in my title, finding wonderful places like this by chance really *is* one of the joys of travel!

My entree-- a strip steak stuffed with gorgonzola, to be specific-- was as good a steak as I've had anywhere. Finding it in a tiny hamlet in NY State was a delightful surprise! The sauce over the steak was delicious, as well. The sides were nicely prepared, especially the garlic mashed potatoes. The bread was fresh and crisp. We had wine with our dinner: there was a nice selection of wines by the glass, reasonably priced and generously poured.

The atmosphere stuck me as a bit "Old West:" a little bar up at the front of the restaurant, an (obviously original) high tin ceiling, and lots of pine throughout. It wasn't a particularly polished look, but it worked with the architecture. We enjoyed the quality of the food very much, and weren't bothered by the surroundings. Also, I had no problem paying what I paid, given the quality of the steak! Service was attentive, and both of the employees we had contact with were very pleasant.

There are newer reviews for The 1906 Restaurant

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a delightful meal. It is not inexpensive but the food quality matched the price and we felt that service was friendly and quick and the food options were terrific. Special note that there bread was delicious. We were very satisfied and would go again. VERY surprised by the low ratings for some writers and did not find any of their listed concerns to be evident during our visit. The pine walls and brick was a bit different but it was WELL executed, clean and appropriate to the location. Again well worth the visit!

w

Reviewed November 16, 2012

took my girlfriend here for a nice dinner, she had the risotto and loved it and i had the braised boneless short ribs that was pure perfection, the ribs just fell apart they were so tender, the help was friendly and knowledgeable, and all in all i would definitely return for more!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Excellent food, lovely atmosphere and the owner (Chef Bob) is very warm and welcoming. The service (Tiffany) was excellent as well. Classy place with a casual feel.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

First off it's located in a quaint little part of town...
The food and service were excellent. For starters, my husband had the French onion soup and I had the Bang Bang Shrimp. Both dishes were excellent. Very flavorful!!! For dinner, we went with seared rib eye steak and mashed potatoes. The steak was cooked to perfection and very tasty. It did not need additional steak sauce. The atmosphere was friendly and the waitress and busboys were very attentive. Definitely worth a visit as a nice treat.