The 1906 Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2012

A long wait ..... for nothing. On July 3rd, 2012, we had a very pricey and very poor dinning experience at 1906. The service was very bad (took 20 minutes just to get our drinks, forgot our salads, was constantly coming to our table and then leaving in mid sentence, etc). The $30 Risotto was rice soup with smelly frozen baby shrimp. My $28 Ribeye Steak was very thin on one end and bigger on the other, thus the requested 'medium rare' came out well done, with no taste whatsoever. Another order was equally poorly prepared, as the Angus beef hamburger that was requested as 'medium rare' came out very well done. The scallops and bacon were not completely cooked, and the prorogues were definitely from frozen.

We sent back the Risotto and the chef, instead of coming out to ask his question, had our waitress relay his question to us. He wanted to know what was wrong with the dish. We told her to tell him that the risotto was way overcooked and bland, and that the fish was smelly and obviously not fresh.

We waited over 20 minutes just to get the check - they added the 15% gratuity to the bill even though we were just a party of five. I guess they thought that we were not going to leave a tip? Nice.

However, to be fair the bread was excellent, and the water was clear and cold. As for the rest, don't waste your time and money. The Chef came out of the kitchen and walked over to the bar as we were leaving. He just glared at us as we left. On the credit slip I wrote " we are not coming back". I suggest you learn from our experience.

1  Thank gary o

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Yes...the prices are slightly higher than other places around, but they are always offering unique items that you can't find anywhere else. The ostrich is always wonderful and the steak is cooked to perfection, but I'm ALWAY interested to see what they have "cooked up" as a special for the night. Pastas with jalapeno sauce? Yep...they've had it and it was delicious! Always something new, always something GREAT!!!
What my husband and I like to do here, is order 4 or 5 appetizer's and salad's. This way we get to try a bunch of things.
Like down the block the first thing you see when you walk in is the bar, but UNLIKE down the block, the bar isn't packed with locals screaming and making your dining experience miserable. Also unlike down the the block, the food is FANTASTIC!
Try it, you'll like it, like my Mom used to say.

1  Thank NativeNYer1919
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My Husband and I went to the 1906 Restaurant in April whilst we were staying at the Villa Roma resort.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly and our drinks order was taken promptly.
I had the Bang Bang Shrimp and the Ribs both courses were delicious! the Shrimp were tasty & had a great kick, the ribs were tender and the meat fell off the bone.
My husband had the Ostrich to start followed by Seafood Risotto which was really creamy and tasty...just as a risotto should be.
The food was so good and the portions were plentiful! so much so we both took food away (as it was too good to waste!) and we just couldn't fit a dessert in but they sounded delicious.
I would recommend anyone to go there as it's a great dining experience.

2  Thank ShelleyD81
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Very quiet mid week when we visited, but worth the visit.

2  Thank AyrshireLorna59
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We have a second home in hte area and had often heard that the food was excellent but expensive. So for my husband's 40th birthday we tried it willing to accept a higher bill for this special occassion. The menu was interesting but the food not only diasppointed but was incredibly high priced. This is not New York City (and even then the prices would be considered high). A suggestion to the owners - your restaurant is cozy and fills a necessary "upper scale" niche in the area. However you seem to be unaware of the current difficult economy and the fact that you would have far more return customers if your menu prices were modest (in the $15 to $17 range).

2  Thank WineAndFoodJunkie