“Shame on Hotwire”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calcium
East Amherst, New York
“Shame on Hotwire”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I bought our room via Hotwire only to find out that it was less expensive on the hotels website. Called Hotwire and they would not let me cancel. The room was very small and only had one bed. I tried to upgrade our room, but since we booked via Hotwire we were unable to do so. Lesson learned. Thank Goodness it is just for one night. Will not do this again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiimw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
SC
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We checked in after 6 pm to discover room was not held on credit card and therefore lost our 2 non-smoking rooms-apparently an oversight on my part. agent was very helpful in providing us with one bed in smoking only, as hotel was booked. We endured and the next night they were able to give us two beds in non-smoking. the smoking only room was very small and towels were well used. The non-smoking two beds were excellent. bedding and towels were very plush and bed very comfortable. bathrooms in both rooms very small. the am agent was very friendly and helpful in getting our room changed and having our luggage moved into new room. breakfast area very small with very basic breakfast items.

1 Thank jamarSc
Northern Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I have stayed at the Microtel and other Watertown area hotels many times over the years, whenever I visit family in the area. I have found Microtel to be a hit and miss property, and this time it missed.

The room was not particularly clean, with mold around the window and a faint whiff of something in the air. Basically, it smelled like someone had farted in the room. The hotel was filled with families with young (i.e., very noisy) children, and the paper thin walls don't block much sound. Several dogs, too, which would be fine if they were quiet. Some were; some weren't.

The breakfast area is a very small (maybe 8' x 10') area with four tables crammed into it, at one of which you can actually use the trash can as an armrest it's so close. To their credit, there were a few pieces of fresh fruit, but otherwise it was a mix of packaged cereals, toaster waffles, english muffins and packaged sweet muffins. Coffee, however, was good.

On my last visit I stayed in Watertown at one of the better known chains, but this trip they wanted $160/night versus Microtel's $68. You get what you pay for.

1 Thank luv2travl003

Travelers are raving about these Calcium hotels

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2011

First the good... The room was clean well furnished and very nice. There were 4 of us my husband, myself, and 2 kids. There was a flat screen TV with lots of channels, a chair with ottoman(my 11 yr old daughter chose to sleep in instead of in bed with mom.) A nice window seat with cushion too. I have stayed in single rooms as a business traveler an worried about it being cramped but it was very nice. The evening desk clerk Gabi(I think) was very friendly. She was very apologetic about the problems we had. It wasn't her fault so we didn't give her a hard time but the place doesn't have an ELEVATOR. I really couldn't believe it. In this day and age with the American's with Disabilities Act all over the place, no elevator? I have a phobia of stairs, joint problems, and use a wheelchair sometimes, and they had no more rooms on the 1st floor. We were tired and had already paid online for the room so I faced the stairs. The railing was very sturdy. But up is not usually the problem for me. Few people fall up stairs. Going down the next morning was much more difficult for me. Which brings me to my other irritation. It took me quite a while to get down the stairs(about 15 minutes)(hey I have a phobia) and by the time I got down stairs I was too late for the continental breakfast. We were a few minutes late and there was an employee putting danish in the refrigerator. When I asked for one she said I was too late. I was shaky and feeling sick after my ordeal on the stairs and she couldn't spare a danish. Not very nice but oh well... So if you don't mind stairs it was a nice place to stay. If you don't like stairs it's russian roulette.

Room Tip: No elevator in hotel
1 Thank Werefox61
Penn Yan, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2011

The rooms are very small, but the bed was comfortable, shower was great. We only needed to stay one night, but we were satisfied and with a good night's sleep, off and running the next day. Good value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here when we PCS'd to Fort Drum and since the Fort Drum Inn was full we had to stay here. I would not do it again and I would not recommend it to anyone. Our room wasn't clean and it smelled horrible. Also the service from some of the people at the front desk was unacceptable. They were very rude and made us very uncomfortable for our whole stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I am a soldier, and on Orders to Fort Drum, lodding in Fort Drum was not availabe at that time and I was provided a list of Hotels in and around Fort Drum. This motel has vacancy so I check in. I have travelled to many destinations around the world, usually if the hotel has any promotion or if you are staying extended stay they provide you will all the specials and discounts, and this is called customer service and taking care of your guests, especially when all of your guests has something to do with the Military.
They failed to provide that this hotel has weekly and monthly rates, and start charging me the full rate for first 20 days, and on day 21 provide me with all this information and inform me that now they will charge me $75 instead of $94, but in the mean time they already charge me for the whole month of charges. When I confronted them with this, front desk has no idea and inform me that I have to talk with their GM. Second failed to provide Military tax exempt form for first 90 days, if you are on military order. Military members are exempt from sales taxes for first 90 days in New York, if you are on Orders.
I will not recommend this Motel to any one. Very bad customer service, cleanliness is not up to par, The bottom line is if you are paying this much you should get a better service. This review is for all future Soldiers and be-aware, look for other options before check in.

Room Tip: Gleason Gate Motel is better for your money
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calcium
Days Inn Evans Mills/Fort Drum
Pleasant Night Inn - Fort Drum
Ramada Watertown
Ramada Watertown
#7 of 14 in Watertown

Been to Motel 6 Calcium? Share your experiences!