“Love this place”

Painted Bar Stables
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Burdett
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Painted Bar Stables is a community-oriented riding facility located just uphill from the scenic Watkins Glen, N.Y. The stable offers year-round guided trail rides to the general public as well as lessons, leasing, boarding and educational opportunities to facilitate dream-realization and lifelong relationships between people and horses.Specializing in trail riding, the stable has reliable horses to guarantee a safe, secure adventure on horseback for riders of all ages and abilities. Our experienced horses carry riders through the rolling landscape of the Finger Lakes Region on beautiful trails ranging from simple to rugged terrain. Each ride is carefully crafted through matchmaking of the horse and rider and selection of the perfect trail to give every individual the best experience possible.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've been on trail rides before that were just moseying along a flat path. This was more adventurous: up and down steep embankments, through the creek, through mud, and so on. I'm not an experienced rider and I had a blast! I loved the hills and I'm totally ready to try cantering again.

2  Thank Marin C
"explained everything"
"well trained horses"
"horse lovers"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this stable"
in 2 reviews
"can't wait to go again"
"look forward"

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this ride for 2 people. We expected there would be other riders. To our surprise it was just my husband and I. Gary was our guide. He gave us good instuctions and when necessay along the trail he helped by giving pointers so the horses would do what we wanted. He was knowledgeable about horses (and dogs) which made me like him immediately. It was a nice leisurely ride and he told us about the property and the horses. We enjoyed it very much. It was a nice evening doing something we like. I would definately recommend it.

2  Thank Santafe04
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently took my daughter to the Painted Bar Stables on our trip to Watkins Glen. This was the highlight of my daughter's trip and something she(and I) will remember for a lifetime. She had never riden before but the instructor gave her the best horse and lots of instruction. I was a little nervous about it(hey its your kid on that 1200 pound animal!). We went for an hour long ride and she did beautifully! Definitely a return visit if we ever make it back to the area!

2  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Erika is a great host. She explained everything very clearly before our trail ride. It was a great ride. An even greater thanks to Erika for taking the time to explain the basics to my daughter of 5,5 yrs. that doesn't speak English. Amazing!
We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Can't wait to visit again.

2  Thank Jason V
See more reviews
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Friendly stable owner, Erica and staff member, Caroline took our group of 5 adult novice riders for a fabulous and memorable hour long trail ride in June! We had a total blast learning from Erica how to approach the horses and make the most of our first rides. She gave a lot of helpful hints and easy to remember analogies that came in handy. Everyone in our group gushed about how much fun we had and how we can't wait to go back. This is a must see spot for vacationers in the area.