“Amazing morning ride for girls weekend!”

Painted Bar Stables
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Burdett
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Painted Bar Stables is a community-oriented riding facility located just uphill from the scenic Watkins Glen, N.Y. The stable offers year-round guided trail rides to the general public as well as lessons, leasing, boarding and educational opportunities to facilitate dream-realization and lifelong relationships between people and horses.Specializing in trail riding, the stable has reliable horses to guarantee a safe, secure adventure on horseback for riders of all ages and abilities. Our experienced horses carry riders through the rolling landscape of the Finger Lakes Region on beautiful trails ranging from simple to rugged terrain. Each ride is carefully crafted through matchmaking of the horse and rider and selection of the perfect trail to give every individual the best experience possible.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Erika is an amazing tour guide and owner of the barn. Before you are allowed on the horses she educates you very well on how to ride. We were a group of 7 woman with very little to absolutely no knowledge of horse back riding. Erika and Caroline were awesome with us, we were all a little scared but 30 min into our ride we were all comfortable and we all won the trust of our horse and vise versa. I would highly highly recommend Painted Bar Stables and will be bringing my family back to enjoy the amazing experience! We rode for 45 min...only regret is we didn't sign up for the longer ride!

1  Thank Kathleen B
There are newer reviews for Painted Bar Stables

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had the opportunity to ride with Painted Bar Stables on a beautiful October morning. Erika and her crew collect extensive info about your riding level, concerns, and schedule in order to best match you with the right horse and the right kind of ride, and it really makes a difference.
As an experienced rider I have always been wary of "trail rides" because in my experience, these tourist traps tend to be short, boring, and overpriced 'nose-to-tail' walking tours.
I was so pleasantly surprised that first, I was matched with a horse that I could have fun with at my level, and second that I was allowed the freedom to actually ride at my level, even though I was riding with people who were beginners.
Two things seem make for a great rail ride when working with a variety of riding levels: (1) comprehensive safety, including detailed descriptions of basic riding rules and tips on handeling the horses, and constant clarity of riders' desires, comfort levels, and needs; and (2) flexible fun, including allowing both novices and more advanced riders to canter (where appropriate) and really experience the environment and the horses.
Painted Bar Stables really understands these important elements of a good trail ride and it shows. I will definitely be back, with friends in tow.
I would recommend trying at least an hour and a half ride, even if you are a beginner, because the trails are just gorgeous and time really flies by.
I would also recommend a visit to Watkins Glen afterward for drinks and vitals for a great full day adventure.

4  Thank ultilil
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Erica and Gary provided us with a wonderful trail ride! Erica is the owner and was extremely quick at getting back to our request to ride, and also made accommodations to make sure the trail ride fit in our schedule. She is also very tech savvy, which helped ensure our request was responded to quickly and made registering for the ride seamless and efficient.

Gary, our guide on the tour, was excellent and very personable. He was wonderful to talk to and gave great insight on various things from riding to the local area. He made the ride one of the best we've ever encountered. Ryan also assisted us getting mounted and dismounted, and she too was very nice and sweet.

Gary was also SO very kind to go back with me through the trail to find my camera, which had fallen during our ride. Those pictures are priceless and I was very grateful for his time to go back with me. Plus, it was a super fun ride!

In general, the stables, staff, horses, and overall experience were 110% amazing and everything we were hoping for and more. Everyone was very professional and personable and the horses were so very well trained.

One of the best things about Painted Bar Stables was that they us to ride at our own level instead of all in a row walking for an hour. My sisters and I were able to trot and canter, which we love to do, and Gary patiently walked his horse with my mom, who preferred not to trot or canter. This is one of the only places I have ever ridden at that allows for that flexibility, which makes it the only place I will ever go to ride in the upstate area.

We thank Painted Bar from the bottom of our hearts for allowing us to experience their great stables and we look forward to visiting them again next time we're in town! :) Our very best to Erica, her staff, horses, and company in general going forward. Erica has established a great company, and we wish them only the best!

2  Thank ARVirgin
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Wonderful, family facility. A must for anyone who loves horses and the mountains. I can't say enough about Painted Bar Stables. Erika is just wonderful. She always accomidates and is just a wonderful person.

1  Thank Mstitley
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Takes me back to my Girl Scout days but so much nicer. Always prefer Western style myself. Fun trail -hills, valleys, river creeks, deep forest, deer grazing in the fields..Beautiful. I keep returning with additional guests, at all experience levels, ranging from age 9 to +60
Trust any superlatives you've heard or read. Erika and her staff are very wise yet kind, and their enthusiasm is infectious. They manage both riders and horses so well you'd think you were "home" even if you'd never been near a horse before.
So, when do I go next and who wants to come along?