“Very Poor, awful service. Over charged & wouldnt refund!”

Howard Johnson Bronx Near Stadium
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
UK
“Very Poor, awful service. Over charged & wouldnt refund!”
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Arrived and all seemed well, we knew it was only going to be a "rise & go" breakfast & we were pleasantly surprised to have plenty of cereals, milk, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, juices, danish pastry's, and bagels. There was a photographer there taking photos of the breakfast room, as they were there for their web site he said. Great we thought, this is going to be a nice hotel.

Wrong.

Next day, there was nothing but coffee & tea. All of the previous day had been a show for the photographer. 3 days later after complaining some things started to appear, but throughout two weeks, there was often nothing else, at all but coffee and week old danish [I kid you not]. I was not arrogant, and was nothing more then professional and polite at all times, but truth be told no one [apart from one staff member] really seemed to care. I asked to speak to the manager and some things started to appear eventually, but he really didn't strike me as caring, as promises quickly fell away and after a few days, there was again nothing much.

Okay so if your reading this your thinking is that all I was concerned about was a poor breakfast? Nope. The wi-fi doesn't work in half of the building and there are two connections, staff didn't seem to have a clue what to do or how to get it working, as it just kept timing out, but eventually due to a blocked toilet as half the hotels pipes in winter are frozen as poorly designed [the manager told me that] we were moved & managed to get a room above reception and then and only then, can you get some basic access. It was barely but for a week, I had to call in to work and visit and pay other places for access. Manager didn't seem to care, just said he knew there were issues!

The cherry on the cake came when we returned home and originally I would have given this review "okay but some problems" However, I had been charged for an extra room on my credit card without my consent or notification to me. It had been charged the day after we arrived [and paid the full amount upfront] and yet for two weeks no one told me about this charge or asked for authorisation!

So when home I called and asked what this was for, as my wife and I shared one room, and said this must be a mistake. I was told this was because we had to removed to another room because of the frozen pipes, blocked bath and toilet! Why is that our fault? And they charge me? I sent four emails and called many many times at my cost overseas, and despite the very helpful Carlos the assistant manager trying to help, it seemed no one was interested. Finally after a warning from my credit card one month later for transaction without authorisation, they refunded the bill. No apology, no nothing. Now is that what you call customer service?

The hotel is not within walking distance of anything, meaning you need to add on about $8-10 for a cab to the nearest subway for every single trip. It really adds up, big time. There are no restaurants nearby, shops or any amenities whatsoever. The roads around the hotel are un-walkable in most cases with stones, & rocks, serious amounts of trash, and was told many times by helpful local residents, that you should not be walking around here as the area is rife with crime. In saying that we had no issues at all, and if it wasn't for the amazing "TJ" who is a cab driver who tends to hang out at the hotel often [the manager does not like this for some reason ] we would have been checking out.

TJ saved our holiday by offering the best routes and advice and Carlos the assistant manager only tried to do his best but was always beaten down by the manager. Apart from that the rooms are okay, clean-ish, non smoking rooms are much cleaner and no ciggarette burns on linen. Bathrooms are okay but again the smoking rooms have more damage it seemed in our experience., lots of broken hand rails, and the occasional broken item.

Y'know it could have been okay, but the management want a fast buck and do very little to live up to Howard Johnson standards. If you have no option but to stay here, I'd advise you to look harder... somewhere else.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Poor service and charging me ro servicews without authorisation
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank theflyguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Flew in from South Florida to see some Yankee baseball and to do some sightseeing. The Howard Johnson's is a newer Hotel located between a Police station on one side and a gas station on the other. Inside the Hotel, staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and comfortable and the Continental Breakfast was just enough to get me going. Yankee stadium is only a $6 dollar cab ride or you can catch the Train into Downtown for cheap. For the price, you can't beat it. I highly recommend this as a place to stay if you want to be close to Yankee stadium. I will be visiting again in the summer of 2007.

• Liked — Value for your dollar.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank Robert B
westernville, ny
Reviewed December 15, 2006

This motel, a half-block from the subway, was kept in immaculate condition. We were somewhat concerned about the noise from the trains when we found the motel but we experienced no problem whatever in the first room floor. We highly recommend the place despite the reputation of the Bronx.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Remote From Manhattan
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank terryhallinan
Maryland
Reviewed December 2, 2006

I stayed three nights at this hotel, and I was very pleased with my accomodations. My room was very clean, and my bed was extremely comfortable. I was able to adjust my room temperature to suit my needs because my room had a thermostat. My two children and I had a very pleasant stay, and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank sabmthwsn
penna.
Reviewed November 10, 2006

When I arrived at this hotel, it was a bit foreboding from the outside. The neighborhood is dicey and the building is attached to a gas station. There is a police precinct right there, so the presence of a dozen police cars is both reassuring and unnerving.
BUT, when I got in my room I was very happy. We were put in the back, which was quiet. The size of the room is small, but not tiny. The furniture, TV, king bed and bathroom are all brand new and very nice. Granite countertops in the bathroom.There are three chairs in the room, which is great. They give shampoo and moisturizer, which I did not expect in a budget motel. The parking is inside under the building and given the heavy police presence I was not worried in the least about security.
The room turned out to be quiet. By the way, there is no elevator. Only stairs. We ordered pizza from a local place and then saw the delivery guy again every time we went back to the lobby, so it is a popular option. I would not recommend walking in the neighborhood.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — exterior of property
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank thankythanx
Ripley, Wv
Reviewed August 21, 2006

A relatively new hotel. Very difficult for us to find, but of course, we were from out of town. Hotel can be seen from Exit 7 off Major Deegan Expressway (north of Yankee Stadium).
Rooms were clean and of adequate size. Nice TV and beds.
Continental breakfast consisted of rock hard mini-bagels, mini-muffins, and assorted small pastries. OJ, Apple juice, and coffee. Skip it. Did not see any restaurants nearby.
Right beside a police precinct. Indoor parking (Free).
A bit Overpriced, but only a mile from Yankee Stadium

• Liked — Proximity to Yankee Stadium
  • Disliked — Finding the place
  • Tips/Secrets — Not too bad if you can get a good rate.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank tlandis
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 10, 2006

A medical emergency while driving through the Bronx forced us to find a hotel for the night and boy did we luck out with this one! It is located beneath Yankee Stadium and right next to a police station. Tons of police and vehicles are all around the hotel, which has FREE, well-lit, covered parking right at the hotel entrance. The staff was very friendly and helpful. (It is 2 floors and I don't think they have an elevator, so check about that before going.) The hotel just opened a few months ago and is immaculate. The rooms are beautifully appointed with a huge TV, free cable, refrigerator and free internet wireless which was a lifesaver. A/C worked great. Bed was VERY comfortable. Sheets nice and soft, as were the towels. Bathroom was great - shower hot and lots of pressure. Nice granite counters and slate floors. Vending with snacks, drinks and ice available. Free continental breakfast is included. We paid $109 just walking in off the street, but you can get some internet deals. Since it's only a short subway ride to Manhattan, I will keep this one in mind as a base for NYC visits. Although the area is a little intimidating, there really is a lot of parks and things to see and do in the Bronx (Zoo, Botanical Gardens, baseball game, parks, historic sites, beach, etc) itself and has some interesting views of the Harlem River and Bridges. I have a new found respect for the Bronx!

• Stayed July 2006