Howard Johnson Bronx Near Stadium
$159
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2009

The title of this movie kept resonating in my mind during our long twenty four hour stay. Situatated in the worst area of the Bronx, the only bright spot was the proximity of the NYPD's Bronx Task Force which is located next door. With the Yankees franchise spending in excess of $1.3 billion on the new stadium, a new hotel in a safe location would have been an outstanding compliment to that mecca. Lesson learned.....always research the location of the hotel you plan on staying at. I will be closely scrutinizing my credit card bill for additonal charges. I saw no signs of public transportation at the front door, but there was a car service with curious ties to the hotel. Do not stay here unless you enjoy life on the edge. The view from our tiny room was the back of the hillside where as we found out on a short walk.(through a virtual war zone)....was baited for rats. and littered with dog droppings.....Let that speak for itself.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful trip to NYC over the Thanksgiving holiday. After reading the comments about the location of this hotel, I was very concerned about our safety. We chose this hotel because we needed parking and didn't want to spend 2-3x the money on a hotel closer into town. We are well-traveled and at no time ever felt unsafe around the hotel and/or the subway stations nearby. Just use a little common sense! We walked every morning to the 161st subway station. It took us about 25 minutes to walk. When we returned at night, usually quite late, we did take a cab back to the hotel ($6-$7). Our stay at the hotel was fine. We needed a place to sleep and shower. I cannot say enough nice things about the manager at the hotel. Our room was large, for NYC standards, always clean and safe. I would recommend thishotel, especially for those attending a Yankee's game or those wanting a decent priced stay that is relatively close to the subway.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank joyfulrunner
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Clean place for a good price. Arriving to the hotel during the day is completely different than getting there at night! The hotel is not in a good area. I wouldn't put my enemy in this neighborhood, and tricky to get to from the highway, but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. Spend the 7 bucks for a cab, DO NOT WALK FROM YANKEE STADIUM! The hotel and rooms were clean, but room service was not done on the first night. The Manager there was EXCELLENT! He took time to give directions, provide maps and explain some do's and don't s for the area and elsewhere, and was very friendly. Definitely worth the money

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank pags2008
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed for two nights at this hotel in order to attend the Yankees game. The hotel should be called "Howard Johnson: Yankee Stadium + a 1.5 mile walk through one of the filthiest sidewalks in America." Do not be fooled, this hotel is not very close to the stadium. Additionally, the owner of the hotel even told us that if we come back on the subway (which stops at the stadium) that we should take a cab back to the hotel. Not a very reassuring comment during check-in. The room was decent but had a terribly uncomfortable double bed. The service staff was utterly worthless. After being told that extra towels would be "sent right up," they showed up the next morning. Do not use the car service that the hotel will set up for you either. They wanted to charge us $45 to go 5 miles to a rental car service. The icing on the cake though was that upon my return home, I noticed that my credit card had been charged twice for my stay. After a phone call to the hotel in which I couldn't understand a word of english, I finally got my concern across. It then took a week and five more phone calls to get it resolved and refunded to my credit card.

In summary, if you don't like walking through a brutal neighborhood at night, sleeping on a terrible bed, or don't effectively speak Moron as fluently as the hotel staff, then do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. This place is the worst!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I planned this as a weekend surprise for my husband to see the last game in Yankee Stadium. When we drove up we were so scared of the neighborhood that when we got into our room, my husband said we can't ever go out. Now it was broad daylight and we were starving to death and had to get out. The clerk directed us to go up the hill behind the hotel to get to the subway into downtown. Well, we started up the hill and immediately turned around and said we couldn't. Luckily there is a police station right next door and we asked them what we should do and they said to never go up that hill (even in day). He suggested the car service to take us that 1 mile to and from the subway and yankee stadium. He said we were in the worst part of the Bronx. Now we only needed a 2 night stay just to catch the game and the motel did fine in that. The room was fine and we survived the SCARY neighborhood. I would however never subject my 3 kids to that experience. When we return to see the new stadium in a year or so, we will fork over the mega bucks to stay downtown somewhere. To rate the motel it was fine and served our purpose, but now I feel that our stories are more enhanced b/c we can say we stayed in the Bronx and survived.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple