“Our New York visit”

Howard Johnson Bronx Near Stadium
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed June 1, 2014

An excellent place to stay. Clean bathrooms., Parking is secure and well managed. TV in great working order. Breakfast very good. Beds were well made and clean sheets every day. Very attentive receptionists. Only problem..room reeked of cigarette smoke..carpet smell terrible:smoke coming thru vent on bathroom ceiling....something needs to be done. No Smoking must be strictly enforced. Wonderful location.,

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeyajothi V
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Bronx Near Stadium

Reviewed May 31, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for two nights at the Howard Johnson in the Bronx, about 1/2 mile walk from Yankee Stadium. It's next door to a NYPD precinct, and a women's shelter. But long ago, I am told, the Yankees themselves stayed there when they were in town for games. There is high security and perhaps for good reason, but the clientele was definitely made up of Yankee fans going to the games. Our room and the bathroom were clean. I always check beds (pull up the sheets and mattress cover at the head of the bed and look in all the creases of the mattress) and there were none. Room was small, but I've stayed in rooms as small in the theater district. The bathroom was clean, well equipped, and in good condition. The hallways were clean. There is NO elevator, so don't book if you can't do stairs! The continental breakfast was not half bad...I cringed when I saw a coffee and juice machine. But to my pleasant surprise, the coffee it made was good and strong, and the juice was "not from concentrate!" That won points in my book. They offered fresh milk with various cold cereals, muffins, bagels, Danishes, and fresh fruit. Filled my gullet pretty well. And yes, staff was very friendly, and they helped us get our bags to our room. You do need to get your room card re-charged each time you go in and out, but that's OK. There is also free parking under the building, easy in and out. You can get on the highway and go north or south easily. We started to walk to the train station on Sat. morning to go into Manhattan, but a couple of NYPD cops that we struck up a conversation with, gave us a ride down to the station instead. We walked from Yankee Stadium up to the HJ on Friday evening with no trouble at all. People get worried about other folks whose neighborhoods they are traipsing through!! These are just folks, people, like you and me! Of course there can always be a bad actor here and there, but where isn't there one or two? Didn't we have a bomber in the middle of Times Square just recently? And a cowboy who walks around in his underwear playing guitar? Come on. My only complaint was that the windows couldn't be open and I like older hotels with windows that open. The AC was loud, coming on during the night and waking me up. I am not used to it. I never use AC at home. After the game on Saturday, we walked over with half the stadium to Stan's Sports Bar, a stalwart member of Yankee tradition, for Yankee Diehards. And from there, we walked further on to another main part of the Bronx to find Giovanni's Restaurant...around 149th St. The front of restaurant is kind of a "fast food" pizza style place, but down in back is a regular restaurant with some greaaaat Italian food! We then grabbed a taxi back to the hotel, which cost us about $8. It cost us $35 split between the two of us to grab a "private car" to Penn Station on Sunday. The hotel called them for us. There are green taxis on the street, but few and far between unlike Manhattan, and we didn't want to chance not finding one to get us where we need to be. But the taxi driver who took us up to the HoJo from Penn Station said he would charged $30, so it was about $5 more. All in all, I would stay there again, and you can book this hotel right on my web site. geristravelclub dot net.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geri8037
Reviewed May 23, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank putxet3150
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Both the exterior and interior of the hotel were shabby. We were afraid to use the shower. It was definitely not worth the $230 we paid. The check-in had bullet-proof glass and there were bars on the windows of the parking garage. At least, it was right next to the police station.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamie R
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly at all times, especially Isaiah. Rooms were comfortable and pleasant. Hotel appears basic from the outside, but the inside was decent. Not sure about places to go around area, no time to explore, only there one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The carpets felt sticky. Afraid to touch anything. Mold on the shower curtains. Non smoking room smelled of smoke. I had to ask for my receipt. I will never return or recommend this site to anyone. I would feel better sleeping in the nyc train station.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family