Howard Johnson Bronx Near Stadium
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Edge Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Cliff(New York City)
View Hotel
Saint Nicholas Inn(New York City)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We chose this hotel because of the closeness to Yankee Stadium. When we first pulled up the hotel I was a little nervous because of the neighborhood and building looked a little run-down. However, the hotel is next to a police station which was comforting. Once we got inside I felt a lot better about our choice of accomadations. The hotel is newly remodeled and a lot of decent looking people were staying there. The free breakfast left a little to be desired, but it was enough to get you out the door. No elevator, so be prepared to carry luggage up the stairs. The free covered parking lot was an extra bonus for us. We left our car parked the two days we were there and took taxis to mid-town and the stadium. The front desk staff will call a taxi for you and it always arrived within five minutes. A taxi to time square cost about $30 including tip and a taxi to Yankee stadium cost about $8 including tip. If you want a return taxi ride from the stadium make sure you are stading on the side of the street in the direction of the hotel. We got turned away twice before we figured this out! Yes, it's expensive, we paid $300.00 for two nights. But it is New York City, everything is expensive! We would stay in this hotel again if we go back to Yankee Stadium.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Bronx, NY Howard Johnson “Absolutely a Terrible Hotel”
22 July 2008

I stayed in the Howard Johnson 1300 Sedgwick Bronx, NY from 9 - 10 July 2008 and it was a very disappointing experience. The first statement you hear from the Howard Johnson central reservation is that the hotel has been recently renovated and that it is very close to the Yankee stadium and so on. The truth is that all the noise made about the renovations done to this hotel are just some paint together with some caulking in combination with wallpaper splattered over dirty walls and ceilings. The furniture fabrics had odd stains. Shower curtains as well as shower wall stained with mildew. The drainage in the shower was not working properly. When I brought the drainage issue to the staff they answered that it was just a slow drainage. I made reservations for three on or about a week prior to arriving and when I, my wife, and my 12-year old child arrived to the hotel we could hardly fit our two suitcases in the room. We could only open one suitcase at the time. With both suitcases closed we still had to maneuver very carefully so not to trip or bump with the rest of the room furniture or ourselves. There was not enough space where I could place and connect my CPAP (medical equipment prescribed to patients afflicted with sleep apnea). The not so clean area and small living conditions of this hotel gave me flashbacks when I was assigned to South Korea. During the 24 years that I served in the U.S. Army, I stayed in many hotels, either when traveling with my family or alone in official business and I never complained about any of the hotels that a stayed. But this place is definitely the hotel from hell. I brought up the space issue to both the staff and the Howard Johnson central reservation and they replied that they did not have large rooms or that the rooms were good for three occupants. I guess that they are correct as long as the occupants don’t carry any luggage. I was charged $367.54 for two nights. I got robbed in New York by the Howard Johnson Hotel. I give the Howard Johnson a NEGATIVE STAR. I will not consider Howard Johnson in the future for any of my travels. They simply don’t care.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We recently stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. We booked the room after doing a search for hotels near Yankee Stadium. While the hotel is near the stadium, the area does not lend itself very well to walking there. On one side of the hotel is a gas station (full service, gas only [no store]), and on the other side is a police precinct. The room was clean and more than adequate, with a newly redone bathroom, and the hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful. We were also grateful for the complimentary indoor parking facility and wireless internet service. Future guests should know there aren’t any restaurants in the immediate area, however there are a number of places who deliver food to the hotel.
We asked the front desk to call us a cab to bring us into Manhattan the first morning we were there, and the manager did better than that. He told us he had a “good guy” coming for us, and he was absolutely right. He did better than call us a cab, he called TJ: a fully licensed independent driver. TJ came to pick us up in a spotless luxury vehicle and provided us with a smooth, worry-free ride. TJ is a very knowledgable gentleman who expends much effort to ensure the satisfaction of his customers. TJ made our trip into this unfamiliar, and what could have been quite intimidating, territory extremely pleasant. His generosity and willingness to rearrange his schedule to accommodate our plans allowed for us to fully enjoy our trip. Anyone staying at the hotel should ask for his services and will thoroughly enjoy his devoted efforts.
After reading some other hotel reviews, there are a few things that require clarification, in our opinion. One is that the hotel staff was unwelcoming and unhelpful. Our experience was the extreme opposite of that. The hotel staff, as we’ve said, was more than accommodating and always had smiles and friendly service to offer. Another clarification is the fact that the highly recommended driver, TJ, does not “hang out” at the hotel. As mentioned before, the hotel manager called upon him for services, and he was gracious enough to accommodate our schedule. He made himself available to us whenever we needed a ride, often having to rearrange his own plans.
With all this said, we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city, and especially to those who will be attending games at Yankee Stadium.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We were on a trip, 12 of us, to attend the Yankee game, and liked the convenience of this hotel to the Stadium. While it's advertised as 1.5 miles, and you could probably walk it, the neighborhoods looked fine, we drove and parked by the Stadium. The stay at the Hotel was fine. The rooms were small, but everything was as it should be clean, plenty of towels. We had free parking for our 15 passenger van. The complimentary continental breakfast was just that - a good selection of cereal, juice, english muffins, bagels and danish. There was also plenty of fresh fruit. I'd recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Viking3
Reviewed May 10, 2008

The motel was advertised as new but appeared to be an older motel that may have been remodeled and perhaps new to the Howard Johnson chain. Had updated bathroom which was okay. Bedroom appeared older, worn, and barely met minimum cleanness standards. Motel lobby was not welcoming with clerk be hind a Plexiglas shield. Staff appeared more interested in talking on cell phone than booking us into our rooms. No elevator to second floor and steps were narrow making it difficult to get a large or heavy suitcase to room. While there is a police station next door do not plan on walking to Yankee stadium even during daylight. Motel staff did call a taxi for us but it was not a New York Yellow cab. Rate to Yankee stadium which is within a mile was $10 one way which appeared reasonable and welcome considering the neighborhood. Would not stay again or recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends