“Mixed”
Review of Tra Di Noi

Tra Di Noi
Ranked #45 of 1,263 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Calamari and lasagna - amazing! But the pasta with garlic and olive oil was too overpowering. Service was great - small restaurant, hostess/owner warm and friendly. Just a lovely atmosphere in a small restaurant with good food. Need to come back when gnocchi is on the menu!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I would say it this restaurant's food is better than a run of the mill Italian restaurant in the US but not as good as Italy. I have seen reviews on other opinion pages that said the service was not good. Our waiter acted like we were bothering him and he would get to us when he got to us. As for the food, it was good but not exceptional.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Last week we ate there three times. We were a group of volunteer harness drivers from Yonkers Raceway who gave of our time to lend a helping hand at the Westchester County Food bank. We were thirteen and everyones' meal was super. Marco the chef/owner has a great salad and most of the group started off there or with fried calamarie or a seafood salad. All of which were just great. I noticed the color of the calamarie and on each of the three occasions it was light. To me that indicates that the oil is changed very often. On day one Marco had macaroni with fresh fava beans and panchetta that was over the top. While others raved about the lasagna or great halibut or red snapper or the prince edward island muscles that macaroni dish was the reason I doubled back with a friend two days later. While I touted the macaroni dish I found that my buddy knew it having had it once before when it had appeared on the chalk board. So we had one each and it was lick the plate good. We followed that with chicken scarpariello with sausage. Finding myself craving this dish I talked the girlfriend into a trip to the Bronx for macaroni as good as it is in Italy and back at the table in this small restaurant I was again. Sadly I guess me and my buddies ate the last of the fava and macaroni. So for me I had the seafood salad and, I can't believe I did this, I ordered a steak. Something I never do in an Italian restaurant. It was great and I gather the restaurant gets its meat from the exceptionally great butcher shop called Biancardis right around the corner on Arthur Avenue. A place me and the rest of the world, ie Conn. residents have discovered along with the NYC firemen who stop there to stock their firehouse kitchens. Marco was born and schooled in Italy and his little gem on 186th Street and Hughes Ave. is a keeper. It ranks with a Don Peppe in Queens, a Roberto in the same area where each place has great but evidenceof different cusines from various regions of Italy. Tra Di Noi means "amongst us" but I had to share it with you all.

1  Thank faral
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My longtime buddy, "Tony da Mole"-a neighborhood boy, took me to this great Italian restuarant last Thursday for dinner. Truly, it was a great meal. We started with a pasta, Fruits of the Sea (that's my title, it sounded better in Italian). It had mussels, clams, shrimp and scallops with a red sauce; it was delicious. Next we each got an entree. I got the veal scaloppini; my buddy got a dish which was a small game hen cut up and sauted with scallions, sausage in a light brown gravy. We split them both and they were yummy. The place is like being in an exclusive high end Italian family spot. Supposely the owner/chef was Sophia Loren's executive chef. I can't attest to that, though my Goomba Buddy did! We had dessert at one of the many bakeries in the neighborhood.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were a party of 4 for dinner at 6pm on a Sunday night (Roberto's is closed on Sundays and doesn't take reservations). Came here after visiting the Orchid Show at the Bronx Botanical Garden. The owner hostess (Laurie?) was warm and friendly and spent a lot of time with us talking about what to order and other things. Her husband is the chef, from Italy who trained cooking for wealthy families. On her advice, we ordered the calamari, arugula salad, house salad, veal sorrentino, fettucine carbonara, risotto porcini, and ribbon pasta with meatballs (which he only makes on Sundays) with extra meatballs so everyone could have one. For dessert, we had the creme caramel and tartuffo (from Vindy's) and two expressos. Everything was delicious in an old school, red sauce way. The carbonara, calarmari, veal and meatballs were especially good. Nice sized portions just right for sharing. We also ordered two bottles of wine, from a fairly reasonable wine list.

It's a small place, maybe 10 - 12 tables. Besides the hostess there was one waiter and one busboy. So it gets busy quite quickly. Maybe this might be why people complain about the service, but it was very friendly and the food was great. All the diners were enjoying the food, and one person, a regular, said, "it's the best kept secret in the bronx". Definitely check it out, very good red sauce italian. Total for all of the above was $140 per couple.

1  Thank kiki1980

Been to Tra Di Noi? Share your experiences!