“Lotsa seafood!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Poughkeepsie, NY
“Lotsa seafood!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We'd never visited City Island before and we wanted to go to one of the most authentic seafood restaurants we could find. The Crab Shanty offers large seafood dinners and specials at reasonable (city) prices. Our family of 5 had basically all the seafood we could eat and we only ordered 4 entrees. Between my wife's broiled scallops plate, my whole red snapper and my son's whole lobster with jumbo shrimp special, the calamari plate and chowder my daughters had, the bottomless garlic bread finished us off. I would have rated the restaurant more highly but even at 6PM on a Friday we were seated in a tight booth right across from the kitchen prep area and right next to the bathroom. The food was plentiful but tasted plain, not even a light butter sauce or a little herbs or salt to liven things up. We would probably return but likely want to try one of the other 30 or so seafood restaurants in City Island.

• Visited December 2012

New York
“The next best thing to Artie's”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Arite's is across the street from the Crab Shanty. It is clearly the best restaurant in town. For slightly less money, you can go to the Crab Shanty. It's cozy. The food is good, not as good as Artie's, but good. The reason why I stress Artie's is because many people come to visit the Island and ask where's the best place to go. Artie's fills the bill. The Crab Shanty is your second choice and you'll have a good time there if you like the people you're with. I gave it a very good rating on the food. That's a little generous because sometimes some of the food is average, but, it's way better than many of the other restaurants that charge you way more. This is the safe bet when you don't want to go all out but still want to have a decent evening with friends.

Visited December 2011
New York City, New York
“Good seafood on City Island”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had lunch at the Crab Shanty on City Island. Food and service were excellent. I hadn't been there in years and the food is still first rate. There are many dining choices on City Island but you can't go wrong with the Crab Shanty. Great lunch with lots of choices; and it includes soup or salad, pasta or potato, coffee and dessert.

• Visited October 2012
Bronx, New York
“One of The Best”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have been coming here off and on for over 30 years. The food is not only delicious but the portions are huge. The prices are affordable and the service is great. I Love the hot garlic bread and antipasto that's placed on the table before dinner. If you want a before dinner drink, try the Orange Creamcicle you will be surprised.

Bronx, New York
“The food has changed”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had eaten here in the past and the food was excellent , Dont know what happen in the past few years but the food and service has gone down some grades from excellent to average.
Used to be my place of choice for good food.

• Visited May 2012