“A great escape from the city within the city!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Original Crab Shanty
Ranked #19 of 1,209 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: Seafood, American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great escape from the city within the city!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This City Island restaurant right on the main street was packed on a Sunday afternoon in June, but my friend and I were seated at a booth without a wait. Bustling and very family friendly atmosphere, so if you're looking for an intimate romantic setting, this is not the place. That said, the booths offer a semblance of privacy. Anyway, we just came to eat. The Sunday through Thursday lobster dinner special was a terrific bargain at $17.95. About a 1-1/8 lb. steamed or broiled (your choice), served with two baked clams, jumbo shrimp and fries or baked potato (again, your choice), salad or chowder. And an ample portion of garlic bread made with fresh garlic! Our lobsters were cooked to perfection. The pina coladas were pretty good, too. The place feels summery and fun. Restroom lines do tend to be long, fair warning.

• Visited June 2012

South Salem, New York
“fresh but bland seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We ordered fish and softshell crabs. The fish was very bland and the softshell crabs were doused in sauce; not what we'd expect for this restaurant. The salads had been prepared and sitting in a refrigerator. The garlilc bread had raw garlic.

If you stick to their seafood special, you might do OK.

• Visited June 2012
New York
“Good but was better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have eaten many times at the crab shanty in the past.Have not been there in 5 years..There were three of us..The famous garlic bread was soggy..perhaps was sitting around too long.The appetizer tray was mediocre..sliced carrots ,celery etc... Clam chowder was excellent..The salad was okay.no one offered crushed pepper like they did in past..Lobster was well done and succulent..perhaps a little dry .Annoying little pesty bugs were a problem....Restaurant was a littlke pricey for what wqs offered...probably would repeat after summer.....Menu looked nice but I was astonished to see 12 mussels for 13.oo thats ridiculous.

• Visited July 2012
New York
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I frequent Crab Shanty for their tasty food at reasonable prices. The wait staff is attentive and their garlic bread can be smelled blocks away...so delicious!!

Visited June 2012
Bealeton, Virginia
“First visit with my sisters BF (he's a regular)... great food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stopped in on our way back to MA from NJ, it is a nice small place that is busy... they had valet parking - I get the feeling parking could be an issue on a Friday / Sat night though!! We went on 5/27 food was great my sister got broiled seafood platter which looked and smelled good, my nephew got the snow crab legs which were cooked perfectly and my sisters BF got the cold seafood plate, which he tore up too, his only complaint is one of the claws on the lobster didn't appear to be cooked all the way. I got the fried clams they were pretty good but the big problem is always too much breading. Some places lightly bread them these were ok but not lightly breaded.The side dishes were excellent I had linguini. Overall I was happy with the food - and I would return when I am in the area.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to The Original Crab Shanty? Share your experiences!