I have rarely experienced a hotel like The Opera House in the Bronx, New York. The quality, excellence, and pride they take in their hotel is apparent in everything they do. I cannot recommend them enough. However, here are some specifics:
1) Late Arrival – We had flight problems that meant we were going to be arriving past their regular check in times. I called to let them know and they just asked we contact them and tell them what time we were looking at. When I contacted them they responded with, “Oh, that’s not a problem, you’re just two hours past regular check in times. Take it easy, enjoy the flight. I look forward to welcoming you personally when you arrive.” The manner was easy going and kind. Very impressive.
2) The Check In – Everything was in the system. They even upgraded my room to the second largest one for “My flight inconvenience.” This was something that wasn’t even their fault or problem. The front desk clerk (Duke) was kind and welcoming, he joked with us, pointed out excellent restaurants for us to eat in (including an amazing Mexican place next door) as well as a candy shop he knew we’d enjoy in NoHo. This was excellent customer service and left a very positive impression on us.
3) The Hotel – Immaculate, a great mix of modern and classic, just beautiful. You could tell there was pride taken in the hotel appearance and the running. Great building.
4) The Room – Again, this was immaculate. There was tons of space, the bathroom had modern fixtures and was super clean. The two beds were comfortable, the sheets clean, no stains on the rug (or anywhere else). The room came appointed with a fridge and safe, two things that I always enjoy having. We were very pleased with our room.
5) The Cleaning – The cleaning staff were amazing! We went for the complimentary breakfast (yes, at this price there is a complimentary breakfast) and by the time we got back the room was clean and set. This happened both nights. We were extremely pleased here as well.
6) The Breakfast – It was a simple continental, and very good overall. The basics were covered, toast, pastries, cereal, hot cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, you get the picture. I could have used a decaf coffee (the decaf button didn’t seem to do anything) but this is a minor issue, especially when we went to a café daily anyway.
7) The Neighbourhood – Ok, this looks a bit rough. I admit it. However, we walked it and met people and it wasn’t bad at all. In fact, we found the majority of the people friendly and helpful in this area. The restaurants, while maybe not Manhattan appointed, gave delicious scratch made food, in quantities we couldn’t seem to finish, with excellent service. At night, they roll up the sidewalks in the area and it was extremely quiet. I never felt concerned for safety in the area.
8) The Sound Of Silence – The Room was dead quiet. There were no street sounds, no problems, nothing. The blackout curtains in the room coupled with the quiet made this an amazing place for sleep. We felt well rested each morning.
9) The Price – You will not find as nice a hotel, with the high quality of staff, at this low of a price anywhere else. Three stops to the downtown on the subway (which is just a block and a half away) gets you to the start of attractions. Don’t let the distance scare you. You can a four star experience at two star prices here. Use the money you safe on hitting Bloomingdales on 5th Avenue later.
In the end, I highly recommend this hotel. I WILL stay here again and have already recommended it to many of my close friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Opera House Hotel is an intimate and inviting boutique hotel located in a lively neighborhood in the Bronx. Complete with 60 non-smoking guest rooms of varying sizes and styles, the Opera House Hotel provides amenities to meet the individual needs of each visitor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Travelocity, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Opera House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.