“Great place to stay!!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bronx
Lewiston, Maine
“Great place to stay!!”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

What a great hotel! The room was so clean and everyone was so friendly and helpful! The breakfast was good and the fresh coffee was amazing. I really need to find out where they get the pillows, it was the most comfortable pillow I have ever slept on! Seriously! We will stay here again. Thanks so much to "Duke" and everyone else we met there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PatNDave1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oswego NY
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here just one night while visiting a college with my son. Checked in kind of late, 9:00pm, the neighborhood looks a little suspicious but is just fine. The parking adjacent to the hotel was full so Duke, the desk attendant, guided us to another lot just around the corner. Again, I was a little skeptical about leaving my car and my keys but it turned out to be just fine and only $10.00. The room (405) is a king room with a refrigerator and microwave and good size bathroom. The bed is high quality and very comfortable. I shared with my son and neither of us could feel the other move while sleeping. The room itself is quite spacious (not as cramped as many NYC hotels usually are). Nice furnishings, chair and desk. Good size tv and good cable offerings. Unfortunately we had to leave early and chose to sleep in a bit and forego the free continental breakfast. However, based on the quality of this hotel I would be willing to bet it was more than satisfactory. We arrived after a 5 hour drive, very hungry. Duke directed us to the Mexicozano restaurant right next door. So glad we took his advice! The best guacamole I have ever had - made fresh for each order!!! If my son ends up going to the college we visited this will be the place I stay whenever we visit!!

1 Thank Betsaroo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Opera House Hotel is lovely. It was recommended because someone I was in town to work with lives in the neighborhood and saw it. So, I stayed based on its proximity to where I was working. It was fresh and clean and the staff extremely friendly. I was working in my room and called a sushi place for delivery. I called the front desk to have them call me when the delivery arrived and they were happy to send the delivery person up to my room. I appreciated that.

It was a very comfortable stay. I told the folks I was working with that the hotel was very nice and they should recommend for all visitors. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mitzalina
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My only real complaint is that our stay wasn't longer! The view was "eh" due to construction (Room 303) but it was authentic and just what I expected! The bed was probably one of THE most comfortable beds ever made!!

The location is cool buuut if you desire a "totally quiet" area, choose somewhere else because it gets a little noisy if you're room is facing the main road (149th Street... I think). If the weather were a little nicer we would have just walked around so we didn't have the opportunity to really discover the area. If you enjoy food... the hotel's location is perfect for you! Many dining options near by! The shower looks awesome and clean... but the lack of power on the shower left much to be desired. Also, the bathroom lighting was "too sexy"... a girl needs to do her makeup in bright gorgeous lights! (Don't mind me and my random nuances)The stay here was fabulous! What really got my boyfriend and I was the helpfulness of the staff! They were totally accommodating, informative and helpful! I mentioned very minor feedback for the staff to address if necessary. I will be staying again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sid S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Opera House hotel is located a block or so away from a major subway station. Going to Manhattan is extremely easy. Others have said that they felt the area was a bit unsafe, but I would have to disagree. The area is fine, it is spanish harlem so you will see colored people. If that is scary, then you will be a bit uncomfortable. There are some food options in the area, in fact the pizza shop on the corner is excellent. The hotel breakfast is only ok. But the evening cookies and milk is a great addition. Over al it is a great place.

Room Tip: Come in early in the day if you need parking. It is first come first serve. If you can park your car...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mristerjohnson
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was a little skeptical about some of the other reviews here by contributors who have reviewed only this one property, but even if those were "plants," the comments are pretty accurate. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, and the beds are quite comfortable. The bathroom was sparkly new, which was nice. The included breakfast was a nice touch, especially on a rainy morning so I didn't have to leave the hotel. And I have to join Duke's fan club. He is one of the best front desk clerks I have met. Professional, friendly, helpful, charming. Note to the hotel manager: he's a keeper. The only minuses were that it was noisy in the hallway at night (I could hear others' conversations clearly), and at least on the front of the hotel, noise from the street, the subway, and planes was noticeable. But I would definitely stay again, if I had a reason to be in the Bronx. Although the subway is quite close, I am not sure how convenient it would be to stay here but go into Manhattan.

1 Thank peasant79
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The Opera House Hotel is a real hidden gem. I just returned home after a four night stay at this hotel. The hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet. Andrew, Carlos, Melissa and Herman were exceptional front desk staff and they could not do enough for you. There is this great Italian coffee machine that uses fresh coffee beans for espresso, cafe latte, cappuccino, cafe mocha, vanilla latte and regular coffee that is complimentary and available 24 hours per day. I used their car service daily and the car was at the front door in less than 10 minutes. I would certainly stay at this hotel again when I am in the New York area. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronx
Umbrella Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bronx
Rodeway Inn Bronx Zoo
#6 of 13 in Bronx
Manhattan
Edge Hotel
Edge Hotel
#77 of 467 in New York City

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!