“Great italian food, great private room.”
Review of F & J Pine Tavern

F & J Pine Tavern
Ranked #26 of 1,227 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Vero Beach, Florida
“Great italian food, great private room.”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Excellent service, great sangria . The potato croquettes were phenomenal as was the broccoli rabe. The past vodka was smooth and tasteful and the calamari fresh and bountiful. The chicken francaise was delectable and savory with just the right amount of lemon. The dessert, tiramisu was home made and delicious!

• Visited November 2013

Suffern, New York, USA
“Great Family Style Italian Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Hidden gem in The Bronx! Except it appears that all the NY Yankees have also been coming here for some time. Great food, terrific atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
Tappan, New York
“Great Meeting Place”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Like to go here to make it easier with friends and colleagues coming from Westchester, Long Island and points east. Portions are large. You will leave with Styrofoam. Take advantage of the valet parking and save yourself grief.

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went to F & J Pine on a Sunday night around 7 and they were still packed. The food was good nothing amazing besides the lobster bisque soup. The service was horrible, our waited was either missing in action or helping other tables. We had to wait about 15 minutes to get our spoons and by then the soup was almost cold. The food came out and then we never saw our waiter again....we had to ask another waiter for our check. Left pretty disappointed...

• Visited September 2013
New York
“May be it is best to have cash here”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Disappointed is a sad word when applied to an expectation of greatness that is overshadowed by mediocrity. Back in the 1980s, F&J Pine Restaurant was a small bustling Italian style eatery that commanded a standing crowd of hungry Bronxites looking to devour delicious pasta presented on huge platters. The cash only policy of the past was a tolerable inconvenience for the anticipated delicious flair that was about to be showcased on your table.

Like today, the bar area served as the waiting room for the much anticipated flavorful food. However, unlike the past, the food at this restaurant is a bland reminder that when you get to big you often lose the greatness of the past. At this restaurant what has been lost is the flavorful sauces of yesterday.

My current belt line is evidence that reminds me that consumerism has achieved triumph and yielded control of me. So today, I am not lured by the huge portions served. I am totally happy with portion control if my taste buds are deliciously satiated. At this pseudo Italian eatery, I would have been better off leaving my tongue at home. There was really no need to have it here. My family including my brother Joe, ordered a variety of eats and it all tasted the same. Bland, Blah, and huh?

To add insult to injury, several days after the clash with this titan, I perused over my checking account statement and discovered that F&J Pine Restaurant attempted to double charge for their train wreck using a pseudonym to masquerade this charade. The first under the appropriately named "Francesco & Giovanni Restaurant" and the second "Pine Restaurant, Bronx." In fairness, the bank realized the double charge and didn't pay for the second one.

So, sometimes it is best to let go of the past and move on with our future. Rarely do we gain when we attempt to reincarnate a positive experience that reminds us of the "good ole days." Yeah, sometimes it brings out a smile and a laughter. In between the journey you'll sometimes stumble on a negative. It is sometimes best to just say "remember when" and keep it moving. With this restaurant there is only one thing that I now wish they kept the same, their "cash only policy."

• Visited September 2013