“Used to be good”

F & J Pine Tavern
Ranked #30 of 1,240 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Now, I live within a walking distance from F &J and I go out a lot, so it is surprising that I haven't been there for 2 years.Things chnaged and for the worse. Food was sub par; the salad has gotten smaller and had fewer ingredients; the waitress was getting the order wrong and kept bringing us incorrect dishes. My friend ordered linguini with red, got the white and when the right one was finally delivered it was awful.The clams were the size of a human palm and tough. It was difficult to cut them with a knife. Wherever we go, linguini with clams is always served with little necks; they are tender and slide off the shell easily. F & J uses the chowders which obvioulsy are much cheaper and are totally inedible. Overall, it it was a very disappointing experience - with poor service (the waitress was very nice just paid no attention to what was being ordered) and inferior quality food. It might be another 2 years before I walk down the street to eat there. I want to state that prices are very reasonable so it was not a matter of money. It appears that since F & J has been concentrating on catering end of the business & large parties, the quality of food for the main dining room has been slipping. Just another average or even below average Morris Park Italian place. There are other much better and more authentic.

There are newer reviews for F & J Pine Tavern

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't been here in about 5 years. I wrote off the Pine in the dustbin of ultra-touristy destination for the "Olive Garden crowd" (people who eat dog food/Italian)..... But I down at the Botanical Garden, and said why not give it shot.
First, the atmosphere is lively. The bring out a complementary house salad. Nice touch. We started with fried zucchini. Nice portion. Then eggplant rolotini, and eggplant marinara. The pasta was al dente (not mushy). And the sauce. Wow! The sauce was fresh, and great. The best in the Bronx over the tourist traps on Arthur Avenue (Albanians posing as Italians selling terrible Italian food to Midwest hicks).
Pine Tavern sells jars of its tomato sauce to take home too. It's a classic!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

They offer good standard Italian food with big portions.
Crowded but not too noisy. We had mussels with hot sauce and a couple of pizzas.
The food we ate was good but we observed some very interesting meals being served to the other tables.
We will definitely return and to sample the dinners.
Valet parking makes it a no brainer.
PS not sure what others wrote about because the service was prompt and friendly = best feature.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you want something a little off the beaten track, but nearly purely where locals go, try F&J Pine Restaurant. It is a family owned Italian place in the Bronx, so its not about location! You might not be sure about where you are going on the drive in, but once you step inside it is festive, busy and fun. We were taken there by friends who live in New York. It is family style and the portions are huge and delicious. We ended up with way too much food for our group because everything looked so good! But we packed it up and took it with us, so no worries there! The service was also great. We went during the Christmas holiday season, so it was packed, but everything was still timely.

A few nights before, we had been to Tony D'Napoli near Times Square and this place runs circles around it. Tony D'Napoli's was "fine", but it clearly caters to a tourist crowd and it seemed over-rated to us. Our friends that live just outside the city say that they come very regularly to F&J as its the best Italian they've found in the New York area.

Some of the mediocre reviews don't make much sense to me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the location might be a deterrent to some, as it isn't someplace convenient to many tourist destinations. But if you are in that area, it is highly recommended.

1  Thank Travel-LK
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I've been going here since I was just a baby and my parents have been going since before I was born. This place is very nice. Service is great they make you feel welcomed. The portion sizes are huge especially for the price. This is a family place, date place, and an special occasion place.

Been to F & J Pine Tavern? Share your experiences!