“Nautical Nightmare That Will Stuff You With Bread....For Good Reason!”

Sammy's Fishbox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sammy's Fishbox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 1,263 Restaurants in Bronx
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: T was in 1966 that the Sammys's Fishbox story began; From our very humbe beginnings in 1966 we have grown from a 26 seat snack bar to a 500 seats, full service restaurant; preparing upwards of 1 million meals annually. Our phenomenal growth has been most gratifying to us. Since the beginning we believe some things are as true today as they were years ago; quality attracts customers, value earns respectand compromise in either is inappropriate. Our formula is very simple; we serve the best quality food prepared fresh daily in a uncompromising manner and served in generous portions at affordable prices. We at Sammy's wish to thank our customers for your loyalty in the past and we promise to earn more of that loyalty in the future. Sincerely, Sammy
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Well, we should have known better anyway. City Island is the worst place to find seafood in the New York Metro area. Sammy's lowers the bar about as far as it can go on this tiny isle.
Decorated like Popeye's Paneled Rec Room, your senses are overloaded with every bit of tasteless nautical crap you could imagine. This is stage 1 of Sammy"s "shock and awe" approach to distract you from the fact that you are going to get LOUSY seafood at tourist trap prices. Stage 2 is bombardment with stuff to fill you up as much as possible before your meal. Two loaves of bread, a chunk o' cheese, lots of butter, the relish tray of pickled veggies and a bowl of olives must mean good value. "LOOK AT ALL OF THIS FREE STUFF!"
The menu is large and pricey, with a complicated layout to further distract and confuse the hapless, deep-pocketed landlubber. We decided to keep it simple, to see how they handle the most basic of seafood standards. They failed miserably.
We ordered a dozen "Bluepoint" oysters, and a pot of steamed mussels in wine/garlic sauce.
The oysters were brazenly shucked, sliced to half thickness and placed back in shells, a common "clip-joint" technique. Farmed , flavorless and devoid of their liquor, since that was removed in the "6 makes 12" process. The mussels were not much better. They were obscenely overcooked, reduced to the size and tenderness of pencil erasers and the "chef" didn't even remove the 20% dead ones that never opened from the pot.
The waitress was a affable and astute pro, who already knew that we were in the wrong place. We never complained, but after finishing our "appetizers", she walked up to us with an apologetic and knowing grin saying" You probably want your check now."
She was right.....there would be no main courses for us.
We left, laughing about the experience as we drove away. As a goof, we decided to stop by Red Lobster, as we still had a taste for seafood and in a gambling mood. Much to our surprise, we feasted on 2 dozen plump, flavorful ACME oysters there for 12 bucks a dozen,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure.

4  Thank sittyslickers

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I've been going Sammy's for years. You will definitely spend a pretty penny but the seafood is delicious and the portions are large where I am eating the remainder the following day. The baked clams are delicious. I usually get the king crab combo with shrimp scampi stuffed with crab. The price went up recently so not too happy about that but this is still my spot when I want good seafood.

1  Thank Gyndoc123
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I enjoyed the food, the drinks are "ok" but i did have a great time.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I’ve been going to Sammy’s for 30 years and it’s always been one of my favorite restaurants in City Island. Not anymore.
After waiting for 30 minutes my appetizers, the baked clams ended up burnt and our bread and cheese were stale. My lobster dinner was overcooked and rubbery and the “tropical drinks” were totally watered down. The waiter who was hard to find acted like he did not care about anything. I expected much better after spending $200 plus for me and my wife. What a huge disappointment.
Definitely not going back to Sammy’s again.

3  Thank petehz
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I made reservation for a birthday dinner party 3weeks prior to date. I had a party of 10 for my husband's brthday. I made reservation online and they quickly responded the next day. They promised a private area and ballon decorations which were free.
On the night of the dinner, the guests arrived before me and hubby (because it was a surprise for him). We were escorted to the table which was cramp in the middle of the restaurant (not a private area as promised), there was no decorations. I spoke to our waiter who explained tht decorations are only provided for party of 25 at a cost of approx $30. I explained to him that was never told to me and i had even called that eveing @6pm and was assured that it was done.! I then asked to s[eak to the manager who quickly came with a waitress with 1 bunch of balloon (mine u this was no longer neccessary as all the guest were already there). She explained that she was sorry but the person who took my reservation went home early due to weather condition and did not pass on the information. I reminded her that i made this reservation over 3 weeks so her leaving early today was not a good enough excuse plus i had called earlier to find out if everyting was prepared and i was told yes. She apologized and left. All meals ordered was fresh and flat we were adding salt and pepper like crazy to everyting. The salad were chopped in big pieces and the salad dressings were obviously watered down. I ordered grilled shrimp and it was as white as if it was just boiled ( i didnt eat it) The best thing we got was the corn bread served prior to meal. Overall i really regret planning this birthday dinner at this restraunt and will never go back! We paid our pricy bill and left!!

4  Thank blackbeauty1