Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed April 27, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Next to the train...literally the train is a couple of meters from the room... every 5-10 mins a loud train goes through... it is impossible to sleep here!
What is the point of booking a hotel if you can't sleep?
Rooms were big but need cleaning and updating. Bathroom ok...
I booked two non-smoking rooms and they say they didn 't have non-smoking rooms available at the check in.
WiFi doesn't work.
The only good thing is that I booked it only for one night.

• Stayed: April 2013

Hello,
Firstly, thank you so much for writing a review of the happy Howard Johnson. I would like to extend my apologies for the inconvenience that you had faced during your stay. I appreciate your honest input and will make sure that your next stay with us is more of a pleasant one. After you make your reservation, you can always call in to confirm your room type. Also, you can add a note to your reservation or give us a call and let us know that you would like a room away from the train station. We love to do anything and everything it takes to make our guests’ stay as pleasant as possible. Again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience. I really do look forward to seeing you again. Please do give us another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 20, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Pros : Very near to west farms-Tremont subway station making it easier to travel to downtown.Rooms are clean.Value for money

Cons:Worst breakfast if you want to call it breakfast at all.. and that too the bread they give are stale.I know the hotel is cheap but the breakfast can still be better.
There is not a single water filter or a fountain in the hotel and you always have to buy water from a vending machine in the hotel.So if you are going to stay there but some crate of water along with you and take it.Another thing I found strange was they will charge the full amount of your entire stay as soon as you check in so that you cannot cut short your stay if you liked to.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nytraveller681

Hello valued guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you so much for taking our your valuable time to write a review of our hotel. One of the many reasons why guests like to stay with us is because of our convenient location near most public transportation. I would like to extend my apologies for the inconvenience you faced regarding the breakfast. I am very sorry that the accommodations did not meet your needs and expectations. We are working on adding new items to the breakfast menu. We appreciate and welcome every suggestions of our guests in order to improve the services of our hotel. Once again, I am sorry for the inconvenience. I really do hope you give us another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

While the hotel itself was ok the location was awful and the noise from the road and el was unbearable. I changed room to a smoking room at the rear of the hotel which was a bit better and less noisy but had to put up with the smell of smoke.
Noel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hello Noel,
Thank you so much for writing a review of our hotel. First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had to face during your stay. Please note that we greatly appreciate your feedback in regards to your experience with us. Before checking in your room, you can always confirm with the front desk staff if your room is on the back side of the hotel. We love to accommodate our guests in every way possible. Please do stay with us in the near future. Hope to see you soon, Noel.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place is a good hotel if you're looking to not get gouged by Manhattan prices.

While located in the Bronx, they are just a block (or less) from the subway station West Farms Road/East Tremont Square, where you can access the 2 and 5 trains into the city.

The place is minimal, being a Howard Johnson Express, but they do offer continental breakfast, a minifridge, a microwave and comfortable rooms. If you're allergic to smoke smells, some of the rooms have been smoked in, so you may want to look elsewhere.

The service was quite nice, and the front desk even called me up when I arrived and asked me if I needed any assistance after I arrived.

The main reservation I would add is that this place is in the Bronx and not the most sightly part of it.

Also, if you're a light sleeper, don't come here, as you will hear the Metro crossing the tracks just outside your window at all hours of the night. I, on the other hand, am not bothered by trains, planes, cars or whatever other city 'white noise' outside the window, so this did not affect me. Just be aware of it if you come.

Overall, my stay here was comfortable and I am grateful to the staff for doing there part to providing good service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you, Mr. Roussel, for taking out your valuable time and writing a wonderful review of our hotel. It is really exciting for my staff and I to know that we are able to reach your expectations. We strive to ensure that each and every guest has a pleasant experience while staying at our hotel. If it was not for pleasant guests like you, we would not have been ranked amongst the 8 best hotels in the Bronx. We are working on improving our breakfast area and also adding new items to the breakfast menu. Thank you very much for the positive rating. It is always a motivating feeling to receive positive feedback for our guests. I hope to see you soon, Mr. Roussel. Please do stay with us again.