“Best zoo!”

and up
Hidden Treasures of the Bronx Tour by Bus with Lunch at City Island
Ranked #3 of 61 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest urban zoo in the U.S., with over 6,000 animals within its 265 acres of parks, woods and streams.
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best zoo!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I've visited this zoo year round. Whether you walk around, take the tram, or the Sky line across, I love this zoo. Not only is it wonderful to see the animals interacting, but it seems they go to great lengths to recreate an animal's natural habitat. The zoo is informative, fun, esp. at feeding time or when the seals are out playing about. The petting zoo is also so much fun, esp. if you are an animal lover....who can resist feeding a baby of any species? They're just adorable. Great lights display during the winter with hot cocoa & roasted, candied nuts...simply a great place to visit & bring the little ones too.

Visited December 2013

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The zoo is terrific! The animals are treated well, and kept in large enough enclosures for them to actually move around. The information provided along the way is also presented very well. The staff was great too - we went on Wednesday, which is a free day. Was a great was to see a top notch facility for low prices!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Dustin B
Elmira, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Bronx Zoo”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I went here with my mother and cousin in the summer of 2002 and I remember loving the experience. Even though it was more than a decade ago, I will always hold my visit to the Bronx Zoo close to my heart. The butterfly garden was beautiful and my most favorite. I do hope to visit this zoo again.

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Best in Class”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The New York Bronx Zoo is a tour de force during a visit to New York City. The place is very well organized, easy to navigate and a great learning experience for both adults and children. Once you spend the day head over to Arthur Avenue for fantastic food.

Visited October 2013
New York, NY
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Fun for kids but lots of walking”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I took my 15 month old twin boys to the Bronx zoo and they LOVED it!! I have a WCS membership, Central Park zoo is walking distance from my place so we go there almost twice a month. Now that my kids understand animals and recognize them, it was good to take them here. I have also been to Queens zoo. Queens zoo is in between Central Park and Bronx zoos, in that its bigger than Central Park zoo but smaller than Bronx zoo. Queens zoo has wider spaces but you are constantly moving from animal to animal, and the walking is less. I also found it less crowded and more beautiful because the trees were close together and the area had much more shade than Bronx zoo. You can do Central Park zoo in one hour, Queens zoo in 2-3 hours but there is a total commute (driving) of 1-1.5 hours. The Bronx zoo is HUGE, and you need an entire day to see everything.

The Asian monorail is great because you get to see lots of animals fast, of course the animals have to be within your sight. Some maybe sleeping. I would have loved for my kids to see the elephants up close, the monorail was a bit fast. I suggest sitting in the middle or at the back compartment but in the front within the compartment. Sitting in the middle or back gives enough time between the announcement of the animal and the animal's appearance, so you have time to point them out to kids. We sat in the first compartment, so by the time the guy announced the animal and we caught it we barely had time to point it out to the kids, we had moved ahead. Also within the compartment sitting in the front is a no-brainer, we moved past animals at the top so we could see them more clearly from the front, had we been at the back we could not have seen them below the monorail.

Peacocks and Peahens are all over, one walked around with the crowds that sent my kid into giggles. We saw some people feeding the giraffes, it was so cool, but they were part of a specific program and could see them closely! We loved the Mouse House, my kids had fun watching mice but they were so so fast! You have to really be patient and try to see them in the dark. The butterfly garden was nice, I wish they had better colored butterflies but it was better than nothing. There were so many more animals than other zoos such as Giraffes, Baboons, Camels, Elephants, etc. Our kids are still little so we had to cover the zoo in a few weekends since the kids were very tired by mid-day. It was very hot and requires A LOT of walking. Since we got WCS membership we didn't have to pay for the monorail or butterfly garden, but its silly that you have to pay for these experiences, I guess the zoo needs the money.

If you go by subway, 2 and 5 go here. We drove and lost our way, the signs to the zoo are not that good, and parking was hard because street parking was packed. I still prefer driving, for us it was more convenient so the kids could sleep in the car. I highly recommend this zoo if you live in the area, its fun for the kids and a great day spent.

The reviews say that food was expensive. Any attraction you go to (zoo, aquarium, etc.) the food is always expensive and not necessarily tasty, especially in NY. I have come to expect that so we don't buy food unless very hungry.

Visited June 2014