“Visited at the wrong time”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bronx Zoo

and up
Hidden Treasures of the Bronx Tour by Bus with Lunch at City Island
Ranked #3 of 60 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest urban zoo in the U.S., with over 6,000 animals within its 265 acres of parks, woods and streams.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visited at the wrong time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I visited the zoo with a couple of my friends and I think I came at the wrong time. It was winter and most animals were not on display. We missed out on most of them and moreover ended up spending the same amount. The high points are that the animals are displayed in their natural habitat and it's a pleasure to watch them. It's a treat for children as they are really very interested. It does have many animals but we were plain unlucky. Though I still believe that the collection of birds is not that impressive. It does take a long time to watch.

1 Thank Ryan R

• Polish first
gold coast, australia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A highlight of our New York trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband, 8 year old son and I spent the day at the Bronx Zoo in October 2013. It was a freezing cold, cloudy day but rugged up off we headed on the train. Aside from several school excursions we practically had the zoo to ourselves. The surroundings were beautiful, I wasn't expecting the fall foliage to be so spectacular, after all we were here just to look at the animals. But we found ourselves enjoying the stroll from exhibit to exhibit just as much as we enjoyed the exhibits themselves! Our favourite exhibit: the gorillas. Some came right up to the glass. Looking into the eyes of this incredible creatures is something we'll always remember.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank beckoz
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Too Much for One Day; Why I joined! ;-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Three years ago was the first time I brought my grandson to the Bronx Zoo, We just had to join because we both really wanted to return. Also with membership parking is free. Since then we have returned at least 5 times each year and CJ knows all the exhibit names and locations. He has memorized many of the buttterfly names, etc. He even figured out that in order to read the map, you must turn it upside-down. The days are long so we pack a good lunch in a backpack and wear comphy shoes. Visiting the zoo in the rain is wonderful too! The animals love to come out in the rain. This is truly one of the most gorgeous zoos in the world. But even with a map & the shuttle, it is way too much to see in one day!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Lorraine A
New York
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Best Zoo Period”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

We ALWAYS enjoy this zoo. It's huge and beautifully landscaped. It is so relaxing just to come and walk around. There are plenty of places to sit as well and just soak in the peaceful surroundings.

What I love most about this place is that they try to replicate the animals' natural habitat. The lions, tigers and bears have plenty of space to run around. On our last visit we were able to tape a polar bear playing with a ball in the water and bouncing it around. We taped a couple of grizzlies playing in the water and wrestling with each other. The kids got a kick out of a gorilla who kept sticking his tongue out at us. Where else can you enjoy wild animals having this much fun? Not to mention the variety of animals at this zoo. Birds, reptiles, amphibians, creepy crawl-lies, they are all here. Oh, and we love to go to the children's zoo where you can get a close up look at farm animals.

We will never grow tired of coming here. It is definitely worth getting the membership. It really pays for itself very quickly and includes parking. We have been to other zoos in different states and nothing comes close to this one!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank tjkm
New York City, New York
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“A wonderful escape from the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Bronx Zoo is in NYC, but every time I visit it feels as if I have gone somewhere else altogether! I like to access the zoo via the Bronx River entrance, where the bridge over the river and the waterfall a little upstream from there set the tone -- a beautiful natural setting with huge trees towering over you. In the winter the view of the river and the waterfall are even clearer than in the summer.

On my most recent visit I spent some time indoors in "Madagascar", which has exhibits that make you feel you are actually in the habitats along with the animals. We got to see several different kinds of lemurs close up, some of which were making very loud calls, and two fossa, which are apex predators that look like a sort of big cat, but are really a kind of giant mongoose! The Nile crocodiles are huge and amazing -- truly prehistoric-looking.

The Children's Zoo is currently being re-modeled -- I can't wait to see how it is in the spring. They are also creating an outdoor habitat for Komodo Dragons, those will be great to see too once the weather gets warm enough.

I am a member, so I can go as often as I want for the one set fee -- it is totally worth it!

Visited December 2013