Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

More Info
from $82.96
More Info
2,963 results
All reviews bug carousel butterfly garden jungle world polar bear gorilla exhibit sea lions wild asia monorail monorail ride wildlife conservation mouse house pay extra general admission on wednesdays great exhibits wear comfortable shoes indoor exhibits bring your own
Selected filters
Reviewed October 13, 2013

On my last day in NYC the friend I was staying with surprised me with a trip to the Bronx Zoo! After a very long travel, we arrived, and I was delighted. The Zoo is huge, and it's hard to believe that an entire city surrounds it. This is one of the best zoos in the country, and one of the best I have ever been too. (Consequently, this is now the best zoo I have been to that is still open and in business.) I suggest making a day of it, especially if you have small children, they won't want to miss a thing.

My only complaint is the cost. Certain tickets entitle you to visit certain areas of the park. This made me feel like even after I'd paid my money to get in, the zoo was still squeezing cash out of me to see certain animals, and for other extras.

Date of experience: July 2013
Reviewed October 11, 2013

After not going to the Bronx Zoo since I was a child, I was delighted with what I found. For the most part, animals can roam freely and zookeepers try to keep them engaged and work a little to find their food. Visitors should be warned that this is a very large park and requires a lot of walking, so it is definitely worth it to buy the membership, especially if you have a family. Membership allows you to take the train or tram from one area to the other. Since you cannot cover all the exhibits in one day, it is prudent to study the map and decide where you want to go first, then plan your itinerary. There is a very good cafeteria, the Dancing Crane, to stop and grab a bite to eat. The zoo is very family friendly, and has many trees along the paths so you don't have to be out in the blazing sun on a hot day. Definitely worth the trip!

Date of experience: September 2013
2  Thank Candy E
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Diamond in the city. What a gem. You will be amazed by how big and 'you r not in the city' feels. Best bet is to buy their family membership at WCS.org(wildlife conservation). You'll make your money back 2nd trip and lets you go to other city zoos too. Plan ahead by viewing the map online to see which route/loop/parking lot to park. Zoo is so big that you won't see everything in one day so at end of the day you don't have to walk far back to parking lot. And if you have kids 3-11 years old ; you will be going there many times and loving it. It's great place to spend the day. Have your good walking shoes on and be sure bring lots of snacks and water on a hot day. Zoo is very well kept all around. Big cafeteria to rest and eat your own lunch or buy. The food isn't bad at all. My kids love it and we love it.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank WYSWYG

4.5 stars.

This is THE epic NYC zoo experience. They have all the big guns out here: lions, tigers, bears, bison, reptiles, birds, baboons, etc. Very nice trees and foliage which provide some shade if you go on a hot summer day like I did.

Favorites are the big ol bears and the tigers, who are just like a bunch of playful (and violent) catsies. Reptile house was also awesome, an incredible collection of more turtles than nearly anyone has heard of - big, small, fast, and slow.

You can get in free either on a corporate weekend day if you work for a big company or on donation Wednesdays during the day - I would suggest one of these options.

Half a star off for expensive parking (~$15) and also overpriced concession stands. Go to nearby Harlem instead after and get some world class food.

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I both love animals, and try and go to every zoo/animal park in every city that we visit. Living just outside of Philadelphia, we figured a day trip to the Bronx Zoo would be a great idea - especially for our daughter - and the Bronx Zoo did not disappoint. The zoo is very open, with an abundance of trees (and shade), and very large exhibits. Their tiger exhibit is one of the best, IMO, and one of the main reasons that we loved our trip. It is a rather large zoo, so it does take some time getting through and seeing everything, but it's not nearly as bad a walk as the San Diego Zoo.

We bought the Total Experience tickets because we knew that they charged extra for a number of exhibits/events (like the monorail, Congo Gorilla Forest, etc.), which comes out a little cheaper than paying for them individually if you see them all.

I have to also assume that those who complain about pricing inside the zoo haven't been to many other large zoos, because the Bronx Zoo is priced basically the same (or better) as most others in its class, from parking to the shops and the food.

This is an outstanding zoo, and families of all ages will enjoy their visit, just as we did.

Date of experience: October 2013