“A Day At The Zoo”

Bronx Little Italy Culinary Shopping Tour
Ranked #5 of 68 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest urban zoo in the U.S., with over 6,000 animals within its 265 acres of parks, woods and streams.
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The animals in this zoo are in natural habitats and are separated from visitors by glass. It is an amazing sight to be so close to the tigers and cubs as they walk up to the windows, they are magnificent animals. The Congo Exhibit is fantastic, the guerillas sometimes show off for the visitors & every place you turn you can see them. The zoo has wonderful exhibits, it's a great place to visit !!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)
All reviews
in 38 reviews
"indoor exhibits"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed January 11, 2012

A special zoo and one of the etter ones world-wide. Expansive and a fun family day can be spent there.

2  Thank osborncats
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My family makes an annual trip to the bronx zoo. good walking shoes needed. tram and monorail worth the money just to relax a little. if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, bring food. get the refillable drinking cup.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We went on a coupon through Google Offers. It was very late in the season (the last weekend with extended hours, in fact), but it was a beautiful autumn day - sunny and cool. The only way I can describe this place is to say it feels, well, worn. Being such a popular site, I can imagine that the facilities and the like get a lot of wear and tear, but it's just hard to describe how there's this atmosphere of institutional exhaustion. Am I making sense? Perhaps that's a late-season thing. I don't know.
But my wife and I are big fans of Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, and that's where the contrast is so striking. First off, Lincoln Park Zoo is free. I don't even remember there being special attractions in Lincoln Park Zoo that require extra payment - maybe there are, but you don't feel like you're terribly missing out. I know that's unusual, and yes, Lincoln Park Zoo is smaller, but not THAT much smaller. But it's the atmosphere contrast comes into play. Lincoln Park just seems less worn - paint and carpeting and everything feel newer.
I know this isn't a review of Lincoln Park Zoo, and I know that Lincoln Park Zoo, even among non-profit charitable organizations is extremely unique and privileged, but when I think of the cost differential, it's difficult to shake the feeling that something about Bronx Zoo isn't quite right. Why are the prices so far apart when the quality of the exhibits aren't?
I really couldn't imagine spending the money on full price, and the cost of all the extras are really a crimp on the fun. When throwing in the cost of parking, the food, and the one extra attraction for which we paid - the Asia monorail, I just don't know that I'll ever try to go back unless I can get a bargain like we did this past time around. My wife and I don't have kids yet, but it really makes me sad to think how difficult it will be take children there and get something even approaching the full experience without a coupon. Family Membership is a decent deal if you've got two or more kids and can get there more than once a year, but, seriously, who has time for that?
That being said, some exhibits are still extremely cool - the tigers are magnificent creatures, and the Asia monorail is a nice ride. The bird house was also impressive. Maybe it's worth splashing out once if you're coming from out of town and have money to throw around, but I'll most likely not bother again without a deal.