“Nice Place to stay - great views”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brocton
Lake Erie State Park
“Nice Place to stay - great views”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just back from here - spent three nights. This is a beautiful place, with nice amenities (electric with no appreciable voltage drop, hot showers, etc.) near a variety of small towns with attractions. The beach was as nice as any Great Lakes beach I know of, though it is not the fine white sand of say, Ludington, MI or even the beach at the town of Dunkirk seven miles away, where they obviously haul in beach sand. And the beach is technically "closed" due to the lack of a lifeguard. (Probably a budget issue?) But while I was there, I saw quite a few children in the water (closely supervised by parents, of course!), despite the "closure." The water was way too cold for my aging body at this time of year, but the children were having a screaming good time.

Maybe because of the time of year (before Memorial Day) or the bad publicity here, there were only six campsites occupied in the entire park, which is too bad ... there were sites right on the lake - with sunsets just like the one that someone else posted - that were unoccupied.

I'd go back here anytime, and probably will. A few additional notes: by using satellite photos, I picked and advance-reserved a site which has some trees around it for shade; many of the "middle" sites or those away from the lake are in full sun all day. that might be good if you want to use a solar charging system or work on a tan, not so good if you want lots of shade. For the most part, the area is pretty wide-open, without a lot of trees / shrubbery to provide privacy between sites. The upside is that there is a lot of grass, and the staff folks were mowing every day for at least part of the day. Due to lake effect breezes, the air temperature here was consistently five to seven degrees cooler than it was five miles inland. That's why in part, the local grapes do so well ... the moderating effect of the lake, both summer and winter.

Previous reviewers have complained about train noise - that was not any sort of issue for me. I was in a trailer, not a tent, but I slept right next to an open window on my trailer, and though I heard few trains every day (actually mostly during the day) and did hear train horns occasionally, they certainly never woke me up or kept me awake! The train tracks here are between .7 and .8 miles from the campsites ...

And as to the beach / shore, the Park has nearly a half mile of shoreline. Only once when I was walking it did I come across another person ... to walk on it, you do have to actually walk a hundred yards or so down from the little bluff where the campground sits - perhaps fifteen feet above the water level - and walk to the shore. And yes, there was the occasional fish skeleton ... this is on the shore of an actual lake, after all. But no bad "rotting fish" smell. The shore detritus might vary depending upon whether there was a recent storm with onshore winds, I suppose. Of course, this also would make for more interesting beachcombing. But overall, a very nice beach to walk, in my estimation. And lots of nice flat stones for skipping!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank AirsDream

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fredonia, New York, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and family have camped here for the past 12 years...it's where we go throughout the entire summer. I love the huge sites, clean firepits, and staff that keeps the grounds neat and safe. HOWEVER, the beach is such a disappointment. Here we are, along this gorgeous plot of land on a stunning lake, and the beach is terrible. WHAT A SHAME. I'd GLADLY pay a couple extra bucks per night to have a CLEAN beach with a life guard!! This beach has such potential, and certainly more people would come to this park if the beach was maintained. There's NO reason for it not to be!! The pictures on the nysparks.com website are a total farce...the beach looks nothing like this! BUT...this is still our favorite place to camp.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We tent camped for two nights as a place to stay while we were wine tasting in the area during the day. The cost of $50 for two nights was very reasonable. I was disappointed with the lake access, or lack thereof. The "beach" was small, rocky, and had dozens of large, foul smelling fish carcasses scattered on it. The sunsets were pretty, but the hundreds of camping trailers tainted the views. The restrooms and showers were fairly clean and I was surprised that they had a number of individual restrooms available. There was a significant amount of ambient noise during the night from cars on the road nearby and from trains in the distance which passed quite often. I recommend earplugs (or alcohol :-P ) for sleeping if you aren't in an RV or camper.

I would recommend this as a place to spend a couple nights, but not for an extended stay, and certainly not for any sort of vacation.

Notes:
Wood is available for $5 per cord. However, it was all small, fast burning, kindling.
The nearest mini-mart is in a very creepy prison town named Brocton, so if you need to go, I'd go during the daylight hours.

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a spot near the edge of the woods for tent camping. RVs and pull behind...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I am usually pretty opened minded about conditions and features, but I must say I cannot understand how Lake Erie State Park could make the top 100 US campgrounds list! The basic features and amenities are average, at best. The beach was a nice feature, the camp sites were most like a typical American trailer park: mostly RV parking sites with fairly minimal distance between sites, so privacy was very limited. But the real kicker was the background audio level at night -- There is a very noisy highway and freight train blaring warning horns loudly at all hours of the night. I could not get over how loud it was! We were camping in a tent not an RV and were awoken many times throughout the night. Maybe someone in an RV with windows closed and A/C running full tilt could drown out the background noise, but I am doubtful. Camping is supposed to be a peaceful, serene and restful experience, in my opinion. This was anything but quiet. There is nothing the rangers could do -- not there fault. It's just that the location is just subject to a very disruptive acoustics. We will not return.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Mark C
Dunkirk, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I am a frequent camper of Lake Erie State Park..I love camping here. It is close to the Dunkirk/Fredonia area especially if you need to run to walmart...you get nice lake breezes...the staff is friendly and curteous if theres anything you need like having your firepit cleaned they will get someone over to take care of it. For the most part I love watching the woodpeckers, squirrels,chipmonks and little birdies that are in the park. It is very quiet at night and for the most part during the day. It's a good relaxing enviornment. There are also hiking trails to go on if you like hiking.If you are looking for a way to relieve stress and relax a weekend of camping at this park is reccommended.

Bryon Rexford
Storm Chaser

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rex3443
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Lake Erie State Park features lovely lake breezes, courteous, helpful staff, and beautiful sunsets. Resupply is as close as Dunkirk, only 10 minutes away, which has a nice waterfront.

• Liked — Proximity to Lake Erie
  • Disliked — Unpaved parking on campsites
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank JWalterM
Cleveland
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My husband and 2 small children planned a 4th of July weekend at Lake Erie State Park. We made reservations and were told that there were shaded tent sites located away from the pull through RV sites. When we arrived, we found our site was wedged in between 2 RVs and there wasn't a tree in sight. Access to the Lake was limited and dangerous. There was a tiny, smelly beach that was a mess and covered in green slime. There was simply nothing to do . . .no safe lake access, no visible hiking, nothing. We were so disappointed we didn't even set up the tent and promptly left.

I would never recommend this park or camp ground to anyone.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank CoolCleveland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brocton
Clarion Hotel Dunkirk
#1 of 6 in Chautauqua
Theater Motel
Theater Motel
#1 of 2 in Westfield

Been to Lake Erie State Park? Share your experiences!