“Outstanding Food!”

Description: Serving Lunch And Dinner
buffalo
“Outstanding Food!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been meaning to to get to Ashley's Place for over 6 months, after having heard the food is delicious, and portions large. Wow, am I glad we finally went. The portions are large, the food is outstanding. I will honestly say I think that was the best prime rib I have ever had. It was so good, the rest of my family was tasting it and envious they hadn't ordered the same! Our meals also came with a small complementary homemade soup and it too, was very tasty. Service was great and friendly.

I will somewhat agree with the other reviews that the wait time may be a little longer perhaps, since everything is made from scratch- let me say, that a mere few extra minutes is well worth it --for the real potatoes alone (not the standard runny instant so many other places now have),the homemade soup, etc.

This is a hidden gem and a must try! My family and I will absolutely go back, repeatedly.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank cmbrn

NY State
“Delicious Food, but decor, ambiance, service leave something to be desired”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We've been to Ashley's place on 3 occasions. I have to say that the food is delicious. The menu changes regularly which is good if you like to try new things, but kind of a bummer if what you had previously (and loved) isn't on the menu that day. On 2 of the trips there, the owner was present and circulated amongst the tables, asking how the meal was, and even offering samples of different menu items for us to try. Her enthusiasm and contact with the diners was nice to see. The portions are enormous, though, and we learned that ordering an appetizer fills up us too much to really enjoy the dinner.

However, you have to really overlook the dining room decor to enjoy the meal. The first time was stopped in, we actually left because we wanted to go out and have a nice dinner and the looks of this place just didn't cut it. We only came back because we'd been given a gift certificate to the restaurant as a gift and then found out how awesome the food is. The tables, chairs and booths kind of look like they were purchased at an auction and they are not attractively arranged. The silverware is chintzy and look a little worn. Even the place mats are kind of cheap. And the 2 times we dined there, our service was really slow. I realize the food is homemade and cooked to order, but we did have to wait a little too long and our server didn't come back to refill our glasses or give us an indication on when we'd be getting our meal. On one occasion we had to sit near the soup/coffee station-that wasn't very pleasant.

So, I can only give this an average rating. Great food, but good food at a good price isn't the whole package. I hope that as time goes on, they are able to invest in improvements to make it a charming little gem.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Traveln_Momma
Rhonda S, Owner at Ashley's Place, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of Ashley's Place. First, I'm glad you've enjoyed the food each time you've visited. That is the only reason we are here. As for some of your complaints. If you were one of our more frequent visitors you would know a couple of things. We have just this month, for the FIRST time in three years had to have some price increases due to the high costs of beef. I will be the first to say, as many of our customers have stated to us, that our restaurant is very unassuming.... you don't think you are going to get the food that you do by just the appearance of the business... inside and outside. As I said, my only goal is to serve great food. This is not the restaurant you want to go if you want all the bells and whistles. Our tables and flatwear (which were purchased brand new) are weathered. The place mats are the same placemats purchased from most restaurant supply houses. We have been blessed to host, baby showers, bridal showers even weddings in our restaurant. All with rave reviews. If in fact I were to go out and purchase all new tables and chairs, etc... all of our prices would have to increase. I don't know if you realize the last year or two were very hard on restaurants in our area, we have lost eight, within six months and a 10 mile proximity. So If it is a question of me buying new tables and chairs, or giving our customers great foods, with very generous portions at a very reasonable price, then the choice for me is the latter. Most of my customers appreciate this. One of my personal favorite restaurants in the city of Rochester doesn't have one matching table, chair OR plate.... but that's where we go when we want great food! As for the service issue. I'm not quite sure what day you were here, but I would have loved you to address this that evening, so I could have addressed it with my serving staff. It is not acceptable for a server to give you less than 100% quality service. As for sitting by the soup/coffee station, we are a very small restaurant and only seat 42... there are only so many places to sit. Depending on the day and crowd, unfortunately someone will get the table next to that station.

So again thanks for the review. I hope I've addressed all you're complaints... and that when you want a great meal at an affordable price you'll once again visit Ashley's Place.

Rhonda
psp252
“Great meal”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Family of 4 stopped here while traveling thru on vacation. The meal was wonderful. We had the fish fry. It was more Than we could eat. The chowder was wonderful and everyone needs to try the bacon wrapped asparagus. My husband does not like vegetables or anything green and even he liked the bacon wrapped asparagus. The staff were all super nice. A great little place to eat! We had eaten at Applebee's,s the night before. This was half the price and twice as good.

• Visited June 2013
Rochester, New York
“Excellent meal everytime....”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have been to Ashley's Place twice now. Each time was just an unbelievable meal! The first visit I had the Italian Fish and my husband had the Fish Fry. BOTH were amazing, and HUGE. We may be talking Fuccillo HUGE here because there are always leftovers for home and they don't last at home either! The appetizers: Stuffed Mushrooms, OMG - my all-time fave. They are stuffed with a combo of crab and cheese that melts in your mouth. The free cups of soup before dinner have been delish too - first time was bean soup, nice and light. The 2nd time it was eggplant soup and my mother said if she had known it was going to be that good she would have gotten a bowl or two and stopped there. You can tell everything is homemade, the cook takes her time, and just perfects everything. The second visit we all had the chicken french and it was the biggest thickest, most tender boneless chicken breast portion we've ever seen! (and the bed of rice it is on is YUM too). Mom and I had leftovers, Dad did NOT. It's not DINER fare, so don't expect cheap quick junk. You get what you pay for and when I want a great meal - I'm going here. Can I get a frequent diner card???? LOL.

• Visited April 2013
Rochester, New York, United States
“awful!!!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were looking for a place to go for Easter brunch and decided to go with Ashley's place because of the supposed "Large" selection on the buffet...what a waste of money. When I called and asked about the Easter buffet she just went on and on about all this food they were going to have on the buffet, not so. The buffet had maybe 6 hot things all of which were terrible...no bacon, no sausage, runny eggs, watered down sausage and gravy, deli style roast beef in salt water....I could go on but don't have the room!!! Not worth the $16 they charged...I wouldn't have paid half that either!!! The interior is dirty and mismatch everything...yuck yuck yuck!!! I think the good reviews must be family members they had write in and give them the reviews, the place is just AWFUL, huge disappointment for an Easter brunch out with the extended family!!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Nikki B
Rhonda S, Owner at Ashley's Place, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
In response to the above review. I will mention JUST A FEW items that were on our Sunday brunch.... three cold salads, three fruit breads/muffins, creme brulee french toast, hot apple dumplings w/ fresh whipped cream, blueberry and strawberry waffles, sweet potatoe casserole, home fry casserole, regular scrambled eggs, mexican eggs, sausage gravy and warm biscuits, greens and beans, chicken and biscuits, fried rice... shall I go on? So the comment about six hot items, well already we can see the credibility in the statements of this review. As for the comment about friends writing previous reviews... I don't know one of the people that have written previous reviews, which leads me to believe this reviewer may possibly be a competitor, or friend of a competitor. At any rate, we didn't receive one complaint about our Easter brunch and I was in the dining room the whole time. If in fact I were at a facility and had that many complaints, I certainly would have addressed it w/ the management... not hid behind an anonymous review on line. I don't need to have people write reviews for our restaurant. I stand by all the wonderful reviews and amazing amounts of repeat customers. Thanks for trying Ashle's Place.