“Worth every penny...”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Narrow Lane
Description: Southfork Kitchen is a sustainable seafood restaurant in Bridgehampton, N.Y. that features local vegetables, Long Island wines, and a Michelin-star chef.
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have now had 9 hours of sleep to recover from our dinner at Southfork Kitchen. Boy, was that great. Our cousins were very impressed, too. And, given that one of them is a vinofile, the wine selections impressed him as did the value.

I started with the sardines...OMG...there were 3 sauces beneath those delicious fish that never ceased to delight. Then the fluke...an amazingly flavored and textured dish with a surprise finish that saw both my cousin and me devouring the little pea shoots enveloped in a light peanut-flavored sauce...our tongues were too short to lick the full depth of the bowl!

My partner started with the mussels, which I thought was a mistake...oh, no...quite the opposite. The memory of its broth still lingers on my tongue as I try to figure out out how I might duplicate it. Then he had the soft-shell crabs which he raved about and which I, too, found just perfect. I think it may have been the same light batter used on the sardines; both perfectly fried.

Cousin #1 started with the chowder and, as you described, it was a banquet from the garden simply smothered in wonderful "chowder sauce". In a word: Orgasmic. Her entre was Arctic Char; a beautifully fresh fillet on Bok Choy kissed by a salty-sweet glaze. We tried to finish what she couldn't eat but succommed to gluttony within moments.

Cousin #2 started with the seviche, which he raved about; his raves were well justified. It was the most delicate I'd experienced. He also had the fluke and, like me, couldn't stop eating it, in spite of the fact that our stomachs ached.

Our desserts were each a delight and filled with surprises, as were the amuse bouche. C-2 and I are especially fond of oysters and could have stopped the show then and there to devour the restaurant's supply remaining in the kitchen, if allowed. The little gems sat in a perfectly flavored pool of pleasantly acidic juices, some from nature, some from heaven.

We walked out thankful, but moaning and holding our stomachs from gastronomic excesses and multitudes of pleasure. Given that this was a 10 on the Pleasure-Tron, we felt it justified the price and voted it "best value".

Now, if you don't think that I can top that, try this: we had a 7 pm reservation and nobody winced when we were still licking our chops at 9:30. Finally, an East End restaurant that respects its patrons.

"We have a winner!"

There are newer reviews for Southfork Kitchen

Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I will start on a positive note: the food was fabulous!
Light, tasteful and in line with expectations.
The menu does not offer many choices (about 8 appetizers and 8 entrees + 4/5 desserts)...We were 4, each one of us ordered a different dish, they were all very good.
I suggest you try the pistaccio pana cotta or the amazing crême fraîche soufflé which were delicious!!

On a less positive note: We made a reservation on their website. When we arrived, they had set us at a table that was right next to the kitchen doors. Not my favorite.
I asked id there was a possibility for us to move, there were more than 15 open tables.
The manager answered: "all tables are reserved". It just made no sense at all...and that one poor customer service detail bothered me.
But, the waiting staff was lovely and of great help.

Lovely inside, but very dark. Too dark.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was un unexpected treasure! As the owner says "from the sea to the spoon". Every dish was a mouthwatering delight and fresh from the farm or the sea. We tried several apps to get an overall feeling of the place and then had the lobster with flavorful homemade organic pasta as well as the Long Island Duck, tender and lean. Great fun!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We visited Southfork Kitchen as part of our honeymoon trip to Long Island in October 2011. We booked for dinner on a Sunday evening and the food and service were excellent. The only drawback was that we visited on a sunday evening which is their lobster dinner evening. Both my husband and I love lobster, but as they didn't tell us in advance and there was only lobster on the menu, it could have been awkward if we had a problem with seafood. However, the service was so friendly and included 2 free glasses of nice champagne as a honeymood treat, that had we asked I am sure that they would have delivered something else from the kitchen. all in all we would heartily recommend this establishment

Reviewed August 31, 2011

I read all these negativereviews from people who call themselves "foodies" Never take the advice from someone who is ridiculous enough to refer to themselves as that silly word. SFK is doing by far the most interesting food in the hamptons. I have seen it change a lot this summer with the different prix fixe menus and I do agree the value is not where it could be. The service can be spotty but I would recommend sitting at the bar. I think SFK is struggling to figure out exactly how the menu should be organized but the food is always delicious and well worth the visit.

1  Thank Gpatton619