“Great stay with terrific food!”

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I spent four days, three nights as a participant in Camp GLSEN held Aug 4-7. After reading the review about the supposed bed bugs, I was concerned about what I would experience during my stay but I can report that it was a great stay all the way around. The conference center nature setting is beautiful, the staff were very accommodating, the food was terrific and the bed was extremely comfortable and bed bug free. The only down side is that the path to the 300 level rooms via ramps is not clearly marked so I ended up carrying my luggage up several stairs unnecessarily. Putting better signage on the walls or some type of "crumb" trail on the floor would be very helpful. Other than that, I have no complaints whatsoever and I ook forward to coming back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
EMCCMgmt, General Manager at Edith Macy Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Thanks very much for the nice comments. I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel appeared to be nice but really was awful. The hotel is hidden up in the woods, you must park in a lower level and then go to shack where you can call for a ride to the hotel and then back to your car. The shuttle was not exactly fast either. This wouldn't bother me if the hotel was nicer but it was not. First room they gave us was really nice, had a flat screen, nice bedding and the AC was running. Unfortunately, the room was filled with someone else's stuff, since they double booked the room. We had to get the shuttle back down to the front desk and get a new room. They gave us a second room that was much smaller, the AC did not work, the TV was very old and the shower was small and odd. Also, the connecting door to the room next to us was only lockable from the other side, so we could not fully lock our room. I had to take my computer and valuables with me during the day to be safe. At night we had to open the window because of the AC not working, and I woke up with bug bites all over me. I assumed from the window but I was so wrong. We let the front desk know about our experience but they did not offer us anything for our troubles and were rude about it.

Shortly after returning home I started breaking out in what I thought were allergic reactions, I went to the ER for them because they were around my eyes. Turned out to be bed bugs. So far it has cost me $1500 in extermination costs and I am not sure if they are gone yet.

Do NOT stay here!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank shellystripreviews
EMCCMgmt, General Manager at Edith Macy Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Dear shellystripreviews,
I am terribly sorry you had such a bad stay with us and I am very concerned about the bedbugs you mentioned. Your posting says you stayed with us over a month ago. We have not had any reports of bedbugs from guests, the inspections we do internally or from the pest control company we use to inspect our guest rooms. I would appreciate it if you would call me directly at 914-945-8004 to discuss your stay in detail. This will help us get to the bottom of the service problems you mentioned. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at Edith Macy for a meeting and found the conference center lovely. When I landed at White Plains airport, I turned on my phone and there was a message from the driver on where to go to find him for my transportation to Macy. Upon arrival check-in was efficient. The room was comfortable - great bed but the room had no hairdryer. I did call the front desk and one was delivered. Food was excellent with a variety of choices.

I thought the meeting room tended to get warm. I was prepared for typical conference room ac and layered but ended up taking most of the layers off.

I would say that Macy is an adequate conference center. I wish I had more time to walk around the property.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
EMCCMgmt, General Manager at Edith Macy Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm glad your stay went smoothly with the exception of the hair dryer. My apologies for that misstep. If you have any other information about your stay you would like to share, please contact me directly at the property, 914-945-8000. I hope you get a chance to visit again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

The Edith Macy Conference Center has an attentive and accommodating staff. They facility is clean, beds are comfortable and there is absolutely no noise, so a good night's sleep is ensured. The food is fantastic buffet-style, completely fresh and tasty. We had an exceptional time. I would have loved a bathtub instead of just a shower stall, but the water was hot and pressure good. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Fairsheek
EMCCMgmt, General Manager at Edith Macy Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you have a chance to visit again soon.

All the best.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed at Edith Macy for a conference, and it was great for the most part.
The rooms were nice (huge walk in closet, which was nice when there were two people and all their business clothes), the bathoom was a little awkward (the door was huge and you pretty much had to close it as soon as you got inside if you wanted to be able to move around). THE BEDS ARE AMAZING! Incredibly comfy, lots of giant pillows, great linens.
As far as the main building, where we were most of the time, it was okay. Nice fireplace where they served us S'mores on the first night. The auditorium seemed highly funcitonal. There were always employees walking around picking up after us, which was very nice. There wasn't anything wrong with the conference rooms.
The food was fantastic - yes, it was all buffet-style, but they also served us snacks in between mealtimes, and the snacks are high-quality and fun (root beer floats one day!). I don't know if they serve snacks to all groups, or if it was just part of our package, but I had no complaints. It's true, there aren't vending machines, so plan ahead if you get hotel-room-munchies like I do.
One night, we went down to the lake area and at at the "Kinderhaus". Beyond the dining area, they have ping pong, volleyball, tetherball, croquet, and other activities.
For the most part, the service was great. The only complaint there is that when you check in, someone literally yells at you about not putting your room key with your cell phone or credit cards, because it will de-magnetize. They can't seem to stress that enough.
Also, I think it would have been nice if we could check out via tv, especially since we were all paid for by our host organization, and didn't have charges anyways.
The only major complaint is the layout. There is the main building, then three buildings that branch off. We were in building 3, and that meant that we could either hike up a steep service road to get to our room, or we could go through the 2 and 3 buildings, which included at least 4 large flights of stairs. The first day, toting luggage, was not fun.
Overall, we had a great time. Just make sure you are physically fit and able to get to your room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank krhanson
EMCCMgmt, General Manager at Edith Macy Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Thank you very much for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you have a chance to visit again. When you do, please take advantage of the shuttle service we offer from the parking lot. A call from the kiosk and our staff will pick you and your luggage up and deliver you to our front desk. Please get in touch with me directly when you are planning your next visit.

Regards,
David Vogt

Reviewed April 2, 2010

This place has no in-room dining, all meals are buffet style, no vending machines, just a few pieces of workout equipment that are at least a decade old, rude front desk and there are no more than four tv stations that work in the rooms. Meeting space is very boring and dirty. Stick with Tarrytown Town House or Mohonk Mtn House if you do outside meetings or group gatherings.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank TimJP76

I'm sorry you had such a bad impression of our property on your visit. Despite the time elapsed between your stay, your comments and my response, I hope you would still consider contacting me to discuss what happened.

Regards,
David Vogt

Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel and conference center is definitely off the beaten path. When I arrived at the conference center/hotel (which used to be a girlscout camp), I was greeted by a dozen wild turkeys. Upon entering the main building, a very friendly staff quickly checked me in and assigned me a room in building 2. The place felt almost like a nature lodge, and was not busy at all. It seems like a great place for corporate retreats, etc. but nothing was going on when I got there.

After checking in to my promotional rate $89/night room, I got back in my car and drove up the narrow service road so I could drop my bags in my room. Just so you know, there is no parking near the buildings. After unloading, you must bring your car down to the guest parking lot down at the bottom of the hill, which could be a 5 minute hike down (depending on the weather), and a 10 minute hike up. But no need to worry, as they offer a 24 hour shuttle service from the parking lot to your building. They even have a phone and small shelter in the parking lot so when you get there you can call for a ride up to your building. I was there during a huge snowstorm, so this service was mandatory.

My room was a standard room with 2 very comfortable queen size beds (great bedding). It was very large with cathedral ceilings, and a large walk-in closet, complete with iron and board. The room had a cozy, nature lodge feel to it with a beautiful view of the woods. It was nicely appointed with all the necessities, like hi-speed internet, cable TV, coffee maker, blow dryer etc. They even had some nice herbal teas there, which was a surprise. Although the rooms don't have refrigerators, there is a shared fridge in the lobby of each building, along with a wood burning fireplace that anyone could use at their leisure. There was an ice machine, and I believe I recall seeing a vending machine with soda and water.

Here's what you really need to know. During the time I was there, the restaurant was not operational, there was no store to buy any sort of conveniences, and no room service, so arrive prepared. Bring your bottled water, snacks, food, drinks, etc. I found a great sushi restaurant (Yama Sushi) within 5 minutes of the hotel which had exceptional quality food.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to people who want to get away from the mainstream properties and be in the woods. It was a pleasant diversion from the typical nationally branded hotels, and I would return anytime I need to visit tho Ossining, NY area again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
9 mi away
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Edith Macy Conference Center? Share your experiences!