“Great Margueritas and good Mexican food.”
Review of Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

The drinks are strong and make the food easier to eat. Their salsas are good as are their tacos and enchiladas but I found their fajitas not as flavorful and tender as in some other local Mexican restaurants.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

As a first time visitor and fan of good Tex-Mex, wanted to like Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant, but it was a challenge.

Fresh tasting ingredients, yes...but 100% of the entrées needed more kick/flavor.

While our group of 4 enjoyed our meals, all the dishes were on the bland side for a Mexican restaurant. And this includes the made-at-the-table Guacamole for 2-4 people, $10. I see other reviewers with similar comments.

Few gripes that take away from the meal:
* All the drinks are priced like Manhattan, not the suburbs--say 20-25% over-priced
* Not a single brewski on tap
* Seating is too low and uncomfortable
* More seriously, disinterested wait staff

One billing mistake was corrected without hassle.

Tip: If important, ask the chef to up the spiciness.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Several of the reviewers here have complained about several things with this restaurant, and my opinion pretty much echoes the range of complaints. I ate here some dozen or more years ago and the food was better. On my recent visit it was OK, just average, could have had more flavor, considering that it's Mexican food. Typical stuff, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, plus a couple of decent fish entrees. There is a lot of it though. The restaurant is noisy. The drinks? The margaritas and mojitos were very good, but more than "a bit pricy," as some reviewers said. $12 each! Our party of four each had one, and wanted a second round, but at that price, that's $100 right there, so we skipped them. I know that restaurants make money on drinks, but if they had been more reasonably priced, say $8, we would have gone for that second round. So instead of making $48 on one round, they would have made $64 on two. The waiters brought nachos and prepared the guacamole at the table, but we had to wait a long time and make several requests before the drinks or even glasses of water were brought. Eating all that spicy, salty food with nothing to drink is not fun. I wouldn't rate this place "poor," but it was somewhere between that and "average" - unless you consider average to be the poor to average experience of dining out in so many places today. I'd recommend looking for somewhere else.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Fresh, flavorful, and tasty Mexican cuisine with good service to boot! Whenever I have company in town, I take them here and it's always a hit. If you even like guacamole a little bit, be sure to order some freshly made in front of you -- just as you like it.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Guadalajara is a Mexican restaurant with highs and lows aplenty. Our party of six tried a wide variety of dishes - some were great, some were horrible, and none were just OK.

On the positive side the guacamole, nachos, tortilla soup, and tacos were actually fabulous. They also make a tasty Margarita. I have a feeling if you stick to the basics of Americanized Mexican food you will do pretty well. The enchiladas mole was a mixed bag. The tortillas and cheese were perfect but the mole sauce was a waste - no complexity, depth of flavor, or spice - it was just kind of sweet and sickly.

On the negative side the Botana de Carnitas...kind of like pork fajitas...was a complete waste. The meat was dry and fatty and when I asked about the 'two sauces' that came with the dish the waitress looked at me like I had three heads. When I further explained that what the menu said she asked, "So...would you like some hot sauce?" But by far the worst were the seafood dishes. They are to be avoided at all costs.

In summary, pick your dishes with an eye to simplicity and you will do well. Otherwise, be prepared for some unpleasant surprises.