“Not average but rather spectacularly uneven”
Review of Guadalajara

Guadalajara
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Guadalajara is a Mexican restaurant with highs and lows aplenty. Our party of six tried a wide variety of dishes - some were great, some were horrible, and none were just OK.

On the positive side the guacamole, nachos, tortilla soup, and tacos were actually fabulous. They also make a tasty Margarita. I have a feeling if you stick to the basics of Americanized Mexican food you will do pretty well. The enchiladas mole was a mixed bag. The tortillas and cheese were perfect but the mole sauce was a waste - no complexity, depth of flavor, or spice - it was just kind of sweet and sickly.

On the negative side the Botana de Carnitas...kind of like pork fajitas...was a complete waste. The meat was dry and fatty and when I asked about the 'two sauces' that came with the dish the waitress looked at me like I had three heads. When I further explained that what the menu said she asked, "So...would you like some hot sauce?" But by far the worst were the seafood dishes. They are to be avoided at all costs.

In summary, pick your dishes with an eye to simplicity and you will do well. Otherwise, be prepared for some unpleasant surprises.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went here for Father's Day dinner as a party of 6. The food is the usual bland american take on Mexican, but quite acceptable. The crunch - I rate restaurants and their management by the way they deal with problems, because let's face it, there will always be issues in any food establishment every now and then. This is where the manager of Guadalajara monumentally failed.

My son found a hair in his Taco, but when we told the manager, he just took the plate away. No apology. My son decided that this had put him off his meal so after a few minutes we asked not to be served a replacement, and was told quite tersely, that "another was on the way". When it arrived, the taco was the only thing that had been replaced, and his other items had been microwaved - again, no apology.

The rest of us finished our meal and I got the check - no discount at all (and no apology). I paid with my card and did not pay a tip, only to be followed to our car in the lot and asked why.......

Do yourself a favor - avoid this place, I certainly will in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We visited on a Thursday evening and the place was full with a lively atmosphere. A good range of tequila-based drinks is on offer and we sampled various margaritas which were all excellent. Hand-made guacamole with chips was delicious - you'll want two bowls for a table of six. The menu is long and features all the expected tex-mex favourites, with some interesting seafood options. The food is good rather than great, but attentive service and pleasant decor makes for a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Ate there with two others and i must say that the guacamole was made right at your table and the beef taco's and chicken enchiladas were very good. It can get very crowded and the nice thing is you can sit outside when it is warmer.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Took a friend for a birthday lunch to this restaurant today. It was practically empty and now I know why - service awful, food awful and customer service awful. I ordered a #2 combination which was a beef taco and a chicken chimichanga. The chimechanga was dry, doughy and tasteless and the beef taco was not served but rather in spite of what the menu said a greasy, tasteless cheesy tostada was substituted without even asking or telling me. The waitress made some lame excuse that this was a lunch menu - NO, they did not have a lunch menu and when asked for one she pointed to the children's menu! Someone who seemed to be the manager offered coffee and dessert on him but the bottom line is that the food was awful, it made me sick and there should have been some effort to at least comp one lunch. I indicated that I would never go back there and that seemed to be met with sarcasm. Now, I ate at this restaurant many years ago and it was good but I would not send my worst enemy there now. It was awful on ALL counts and to think I had to pay for this kind of lunch is an outrage. Frankly, my rice smelled like insecticide so maybe DOH should pay them a visit.