“Area icon pricing out its loyal customers.”

Red Rooster Drive-In
Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Brewster
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Area icon pricing out its loyal customers.”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have been going to Red Rooster since I was a little kid and love the hamburgers. My usual order is a cheeseburger deluxe which used to be a great value at about $2.50. But now at well over 4 bucks for basically a quarter lb burger with lettuce and tomato... the size of which an average adult will want to eat two of them and a hearty appetite will demand three... its just too much money. Add a "family" sized fried for another 5 bucks which is basically the size and quality of a mcdonalds mid size fries which is a little over a dollar, a fountain soda at almost 3 bucks and an ice cream at between 3 and 4 for a small and you're spending entry level fine dining prices for burgers and fries. And they don't even offer any kind of combo deal. To serve 4 people and have them come out full you would need to spend upwards of 75 bucks. I really wish this place would get a little more realistic with the prices (maybe 30% less... or at least offer some combo deals) because I'd hate to add it to my places that are just too much of a rip off to go anymore since I do like their burgers. But I guess there are enough rich people in the area who just don't care since they always seem somewhat busy (not like they used to be... but steady).

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Eastbeast77

North Salem, New York
“the novelty has worn off”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've come here a handful of times over the last couple of years and, at first, I loved the outdoor eating with my four kids and the mini golf and little rides were fun. I would drive up an hour from NYC for a nice break with them. Well, then I moved here. It's just too expensive to take my family here. Sad, really, because the food is ok. It's average, but it is consistently average. The price is just too high. You can get a better burger and fries right down the street at Burger King and pay MUCH less.
The service is typical fast food service. It isn't something I would come back for and they really feel like they are just going through the motions to get you out the door with your food. I think we'll wait to go back again and just get an ice cream cone. :(

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank A K
USA
“Route 22 Landmark”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This Drive-In has been in the same spot for about 5 decades. Over the years it has transformed some...a mini golf green and small kiddie rides are on the property. The picnic area has expanded as well, which is great as there isn't much access to indoor eating. Burgers, shakes and soft freeze ice cream remain. The menu is that of a picnic and has changed a bit, but very little since it began. There is ample parking, quick service, amazing hours in all seasons and easy access onto the main road after your meal. Prices have risen, but that is to be expected. I have always hoped they would improve the rest rooms. They are for one person at a time which is a problem when it is crowded. I also hoped they would add more healthy options, but this is basically a burger spot so it is understandable.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank MtGranny
Danbury, Connecticut
“Nothing special . Very overpriced”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

The owners must be millionaires. What an overpriced place for average hot dogs and shakes. When it cost you 40 bucks for four hot dogs and for shakes it better be great. And it wasn't. I am NOT a cheap person by any means but I hate being ripped off. Service was terrible with an attitude. I will never be back again

1 Thank frankm85
Stormville, New York
“The service was horrible”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Just went in for 2 hot dogs and fries. Ordered and paid 11 dollars for 2 dogs with mustard and kraut. Given the dogs with no kraut and no mustard . I asked the tall girl on duty (4pm) if I could get the order as I asked for it. ( with mustard and kraut) she started wait a minute and proceeded to grab a rag and clean the front tables. The server with rosy red lipstick then corrected my order, the last few visits here have not been pleasurable. The caliper of staff has diminished. Sorry jack! But something needs to be fixed. The Red Rooster needs to fix its Wings

Visited January 2014