“Great scenic view; attentive service; extensive outdoor seating; OK indoor ambiance; food a mixed experience.”
Review of Las Mananitas

Las Mananitas
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Brewster
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We were a table of six at Las Mananitas on a Monday evening. One of the other couples are regulars and we sat at “the” corner window table with a beautiful view of the reservoir below and the surrounding green hill country. The table also overlooked the seating on the large outdoor patio below us, with most of the tables set with white table cloths and a goodly number of diners enjoying the warm sunny setting. A couple of TV screens in the bar area showed the FIFA World Cup match, in muted Spanish. Recorded Mexican background music was at just the right level, loud enough to be heard but without in any way interfering with our table conversation. Our corner table had plenty of light from the outdoors, but further back the interior seemed dimly lit and none of the inside tables were set with table cloths.

We enjoyed a couple of rounds of margaritas, sangria and beer accompanied with nachos and salsa sauce. Then we placed our orders... as it happens all of them different dishes. Two of the party asked for items which were not on the menu.... one of those being chicken quesadillas. No problem, gladly accommodated. A good example of service which was friendly, accommodative and attentive throughout the evening.

I ordered one of the specials for the day... red snapper stuffed with crab meat... requesting that the fish be “on the undercooked side to ensure that it not be too dry”. Our waiter took all of the orders and then returned to inform me that for the specials, the fish was “already precooked” and therefore the kitchen could not accommodate my request. Hummm. I then ordered the red snapper from the regular menu, with the same request, along with an alternative option for a non-fish entree if necessary. Our waiter quickly returned to tell me that for the regular menu entree, the fish could be prepared to order. Good. And when the entree came to the table, the kitchen lived up to the promise... nicely cooked, moist and tender. Unfortunately, the chicken quesadillas arrived without any chicken in them. To his credit, our waiter offered to have the kitchen prepare a new order or, as an alternative, a fresh margarita on the house. As I said earlier, responsive, attentive service. My wife accepted the margarita offer.

The above misadventures aside, the entrees ranged from good to somewhat above average. None stood out as being outstanding. Prices are reasonable, but not an outstanding value difference maker. So overall, our experience was somewhere between average and very good. Giving Las Mananitas the benefit of the doubt... based on ambiance (at least at our table), scenic view and service... a grudging slightly above average. Unless invited back by our friends we are unlikely to return.

NOTE: Possibly we were not adventurous enough in what we ordered. For example, none of us ordered the duck confit. If/when we return that might be a way to understand if Las Mananitas deserves a better rating.

There are newer reviews for Las Mananitas

Reviewed June 7, 2014

A number of reviewers have said it. Great views of the reservoir. Pleasant surroundings. Enjoyable atmosphere. All true. We had a nice meal and will probably return to give them another try. The only reason we wouldn't go back is the food is quite ordinary. My black bean soup and steak fajitas were good, but bland. My wife's crab-meat stuffed red snapper was good, but lacked spice. Heck even the salsa was bland. I wasn't looking for tex-mex, but I was looking for zest, and didn't find it.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place has a really nice atmosphere. The food is just so-so. I found the menu very limited as far as traditional choices. The manager couldn't have been nicer and spent some time at our table making sure everything was okay...he even gave us each a shot of mexican liquor on the house!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Four of us went to dine here on a Friday night. Enjoyable, great drinks and food. Mariachi band that we sang along with.... Frozen mango margarita mmmmm. My husbands salmon was delicious. I am not a spice girl so my choice of fajitas was excellent. Can't wait to return on a warm night for outside dining. Staff very attentive.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We have visited this restaurant a handful of times and with each visit the luster gradually wore off. On our first visit when it first opened few years ago, food was of good quality and drinks were well made. It was busy and there was a sense of excitement with it being recently opened. The atmosphere at the dinner hour is pleasant and they do have Mariachis crooning on Saturday nights. During the afternoons and early evenings if you choose to sit outside you get a nice view of one of the many New York City water reservoirs that are throughout the Brewster area. They serve not your atypical Americanized Mexican food here so that is a plus if your looking for a slightly different option when it comes to Mexican dining.The choices are somewhat limited but a decent selection. Prices are respectable. On a couple of recent visits we were faced with some disappointing choices on their part. We ordered glasses of sangria which were watered down and not very good. One area we were sat in was far too dark for most of us to see the menu. When we requested they turn the lights up a little they would for a few minutes before turning them down again. And on our last visit earlier this year two of us order the paella with chorizo and the dish actually was served with what appeared to be Italian sausage. That was a major disappointment. Needless to say we won't be back too soon. All in all its nice for a slightly different taste of Mexican food. Its large and draws a good crowd but maybe its success is causing it to lose what made it good dinning at its onset.