“Good, but bring your own spices”

Southeast Grille House
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Brewster
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining. closed from 3-5 p, everyday except sunday. dinner served all day sunday
Reviewed October 13, 2013

so we decided to try this restaurant based upon the stellar reviews on this site. Our overall experience was somewhat average. The food quality was excellent, very fresh seafood (tuna and jambalaya for entrees), but they lacked fullness of flavor, and were very bland tasting to the palate. The tuna served with a pineapple wasabi sauce held high promise, but did not deliver. Similarly we anticipated a spicy new orleans version of jambalaya, but received a bowl of seafood accompanied by a very bland sauce. Had calamari for an appetizer, very fresh and lightly coated, but the marinara sauce had no flavor. Nice view of some water, but the decor is a bit dated. Somewhat of a disappointment given the high expectations based upon the reviews.

1  Thank Mark M

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I ate here at an event, so my service & price ratings may be off. Truly, the service was sloooow. We were there for about 3.5 hours, and that's literally about how long it took to be served the whole meal. Granted, there were probably 75 people there, but still...they should have staffed it more fully. I don't know if that's typical or not since it's the only time I've been there.

The first course, penne a la vodka, was tasty...even if I wasn't as starving as I was while there, I still would have cleaned my plate & sopped up the creamy sauce with the (no frills) bread at the table. The second course, salad, was okay. The greens were a bit tough and had that grassyness that older greens take on. My entree was (presumably pan-sauteed or pan-roasted) summer squash, green beans & carrots, with thick potato wedges on the side. The potatoes wrre great, and the veggies were perfect....I could have kept eating those for hours. I love it when veggies are cooked with almost no seasoning & the veggie glavor is prevalent...these had the slightest buttery glaze & they were lip-smacking good. And the potatoes needed no ketchup...a sprinkle of salt and they stood alone just fine, crispy brown skin and all. Dessert was okay...generic vanilla ice cream, but it's not my favorite anyway.

Atmosphere is pub-ish with dark and rustic wood and dim lighting. It was clean and not cramped, which was nice. With 70ish people in the room, though, the "just right" room size was VERY loud.

I would go here again, though hopefully not at an event, since I liked the food and I'm curious to see how different a regular dining experience would be.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I didn't expect much from this place (from the outside) but they delivered with fresh food, great service and and a nice atmosphere. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back.

1  Thank DRoman
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the outside this restaurant doesn't look as beautiful as it is. There is a large window wall overlooking a sloped lawn which leads to the water. The food and service are excellent and we really enjoyed the afternoon. We will be sure to return whenever we are in the area and have already recommended it to several friends. You never know what hidden gems can be found behind ordinary facades. In addition, special requests in ingredients are honored. Cannot think of anything negative about this place.

1  Thank DanburySusi
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending an evening at the Southeast Grille House for dinner recently because we were up in Putnam County for a wine event. We were blown away by the professional wait staff as well as the food! I had the Smoked Salmon and my husband had the Southeast Burger. We both absolutely loved our dishes and had a wonderful view of the reservoir in the back. The Southeast Grille House is a hidden gem and if you are ever in the area, you MUST stop here for lunch or dinner!

1  Thank Diane P