“Going downhill”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going downhill”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place is starting to go downhill. The seats are starting to become ripped. The furniture is dirty. The floors are filthy and the wait staff looks like the haven't washed their uniforms in months. Most shirts are untucked. I wonder what care is going into making the food.

Winsted, Connecticut
“Good decor, blah food”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stopped here after returning to the Southeast Station from NYC. We were looking forward to it based on the billboards alone and were happy with the retro decor. It's a very comfortable place and has lots of nice touches (e.g., "The Honeymooners" playing, quasi-vintage Coke glasses--albeit plastic). Our party was split on the food: My son really enjoyed his veggie burger, fries, rootbeer float, and hot fudge sundae (yes, float AND sundae!). Good pickle, too--which I snagged:-) My husband and I ordered chocolate egg creams, mostly to get into the nostalgic feel. They weren't terribly tasty, but for all we know that's how they're *supposed* to taste, so I guess we can't really complain. Would have loved to have had the option of a coffee shake. I ordered the herb crusted salmon on salad. The salmon wasn't awful but it was pretty flavor-free. (Given that it's a diner, I wasn't hugely surprised.) The salad was fresh and had a really nice tomato balsamic vinaigrette. My husband ordered the mac and cheese, and received a HUGE portion. The description on the menu had made it sound fantastic, but it was mushy and kind of gross. I ordered it as a side, too, and I only had a few bites. We brought most of it home for our mac-and-cheese-loving daughter. She heated up a plate of it but ended up throwing it out. It was a big waste of food (and money). On the plus side, I also brought the bulk of my salad home, since the portions of everything are so big and it was still pretty tasty the next day. Nothing special, but at least I got a second meal out of it. My husband also ordered the Mississippi mud pie and was hugely disappointed it. He was expecting something with a cookie crust and caramel but it was just a big chunk of chocolate mousse cake (or something similar) with scoops of whipped cream on either side. It was nothing like the mud pies we'd had in the past. He doesn't usually eat much sugar, so he was bummed that his big splurge wasn't all that tasty.

If we were to return here, it would just be to see if the breakfast is better than the dinner (you can order breakfast all day, which we wish we had done). We wouldn't go out of our way for it, though. The service was much better than the food.

NJ
“Waitress went MIA”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Was traveling on I-84 and stopped for a decent meal... saw this diner and it looked decent and the reviews here are mostly positive. Nice decor & clean restaurant. The food was typical diner fare - nothing spectacular. Really nice prices for kids' meals, too!

The problem here was the service. We must have sat there for a good 15 minutes with dirty plates on the table, empty soda glasses, and the waitress was MIA! We finally saw her doing her side-work and grabbed her attention. No offer for dessert, just gave us our check and told us to pay at the cashier. Clearly she was looking to head home. On our way out, we saw her once again - in the rear of the diner (outside) smoking.

Carmel, New York
“large Diner Plenty of menu choices”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Nice diner located right of rt 84 friendly quick service. Nice specials menu and good variety of foods. Prices are reasonable. Enjoyable diner experience in Brewster NY

• Visited July 2013
“Good food. Lacking in good service.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Eveready twice. On both occasions the food was good, but the wait staff was poor. The waitress on the first visit acted like we were interrupting her day. And it was not busy when we went. She brought soda two different times and I ordered iced tea.

• Visited May 2013