“Sagamore almost great”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed August 31, 2007

The Sagamore appears the only property to provide a grand old resort experience in the area. The grounds are kept up and beautifully, the staff is friendly and as professional as you would find in a seasonal area. It appears the hotel has been updated as much as possible and stll keep the atmosphere of an older hotel up. There were many activities although it appears the hotel uses many outside vendors. The concierge desk was helpful. Money has been spent on a conference center, and new children's activity center, although oddly an outside vendor manages part so it often not available. A high point is the shuttle service which efficiently transfers you to the golf course, town or other destinations to avoid the use of your car. The indoor pool could use an updated and would be the next place they could spend money. It isn't up to the level you can find in other resorts of this caliber. There were some off notes. The adirondack style informal restaurant was absolutely awful. Although it is for families and informal there is no reason for it to be this bad. The other dining spots were really very good. Before you arrive they ask you to make dinner reservations. I recommend this to avoid eating in the informal restaurant or eat in town. The morning brunch in the main dining room was very good and we did not have a chance to eat dinner there, since it was only open on the weekend. We stayed in the historic hotel and did not see the lodges

2  Thank meow-meowcinaminbuns

Reviewed August 30, 2007

Having read nearly all the reviews posted here for the Sagamore, I wanted to weigh in on it myself after our recent stay. We were there last week, August 20th.

We stayed in a signature suite on the top floor of the family lodge, the one closest to the playground that our 2 year old was crazy about. Our lodge, I believe, was the only one that doesn't have a clear view of the lake. Instead, we faced an occasionally noisy access road (mid sized to large trucks making deliveries during the day, along with staff in zippy golf carts) and could barely see the lake through the trees. My husband was a little disappointed with the view, or lack thereof.

The suite itself was very nice - I kept saying it would make a wonderful one bedroom NYC apartment. Very efficiently laid out (read:
a bit small, but had everything you needed) with a great bathroom. The staff was attentive - we had no issues on check in, check out, etc - and our bill was correct when we did check out. We went to Mr Brown's Pub twice, which had decent food and more importantly a good kids' menu. We never felt like our child was unwelcome at all during our stay. I don't find the 18% gratuity to be egregious; this is typical of "nice" places. That didn't bother us at all. We didn't try any of the other restaurants.

Now for the negatives -

Because we were in one of the higher-end suites that is likely privately owned, we were granted our own parking space, which was marked as such. I'm sure this priviledge wasn't free; I'm sure it was somewhere in our per night charge. Unfortunately either the front
desk needs to remind people upon check in that not all spaces are fair game, or they need to make the sign larger / more obvious. I know it's nit picky, but you figure we were somehow paying for it, and often there was someone in our space. When we first got there, our space was filled and we asked the guy whose SUV was there to please move since that space was reserved for our room (and the sign does say so). He was VERY snippy and said "well as soon as you find me MY space I'm happy to move". Luckily Security was nearby and made a note of the little snipster (who later apologized anyway) but it was just annoying.

More importantly, the Sagamore was too expensive - I don't know how the signature suite rate compared with the other rooms and suites, but our room next week at the Four Seasons in Vegas is cheaper. That doesn't seem right to me. From having read reviews of other Lake George haunts, I'm guessing the Sagamore demands (and gets) a premium
for guaranteeing that ants won't make off with your children, your sheets won't be torn, and your carpet won't be older than you are.

An outdoor pool would be a nice addition; the swimming area is mediocre. The views of the lake, once you found them, are lovely.

There has to be a middle ground between the exhorbitant Sagamore and some of the sad lost-in-time "housekeeping cottages" that dominate Lake George. I'd be hard pressed to stay there again, but because I think it's really expensive. Maybe Lake George isn't the vacation spot for us. I can sate my yearning for the nostalgia for my childhood elsewhere; perhaps I'll dig out my Easy Bake Oven and get to work.

5  Thank LIttle_Patch_Girl
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was our second stay at The Sagamore, as my husbands business books a convention there every year. Our last stay was 2 years ago, also in August.

At that time we stayed in the main hotel and the room was lovely, but very, very small, I thought.

This time we were in the lodges, in a regular room. As others have posted, these rooms are below street level, so the little outside sitting area you have is actually below the street and all you see is a little gully. VERY VERY dark, dirty and damp! Also, you can only get into your room by sharing an entry way with the 2 room "suite" across a little hall. Anytime anyone was in that hallway, you could loudly hear everything they did, including their room service being delivered to them every day at 8 AM and their 2 toddlers screaming in the hall!

Our room was dark and damp. They give you a dehumidifier in the room, which is very noisy! It filled up within 2 days and 2 maid services and 1 turndown service failed to empty it. There are no overhead lights and it was very hard to see into the closet, which is only half a closet because the hot water heater is stored there.

The TV was way too small for the room and the easy chair was very akwardly located. The outside sitting area was full of bugs, and covered with dirt on the patio. I went out there to look the first day and never ventured out there again.

To get to the room, you must go down a steep stair case, which was also dirty and I found several cob webs in every corner. A storage cabinet with towels remained opened and unlocked our entire 4 night stay.

On the plus side, I asked for and recieved extra packages of coffee, but the first morning, my little coffee pot and coffee cups were never even rinsed out.

All in all, I would not pay to stay here at all. I found it quite boring as the weather was a little chilly and very cloudy, so the thought of going in the lake, or using any of the other water activities was out of the question. Other than enjoying the scenery, which was quite pretty, there was nothing else that appealed to me.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Chicagokris
Reviewed August 18, 2007

This is a large resort -- basically, an entire island -- in a spectacular setting on Lake George. During our stay the weather was warm and sunny and we had difficulty tearing ourselves away from our lounge chairs perched on the edge of the huge, sloping, green lawn overlooking the water, forested islands, and mountains on the opposite shore. Waiters brought us cooling drinks, and when we got too hot we went for a swim in the cool, clean lake. Platoons of staffers keep the grand old white clapboarded hotel, the grounds, and the newer Lodge buildings in immaculate shape.

In order to get the most out of your stay here, you really need to understand the different lodgings. The hotel is, well, a hotel, with rooms upstairs and public lounges, restaurants, spa, function rooms, etc. on the lower floors. The Lodges, which look to have been built in the 1980s, spread out on either side of the island behind the hotel. The uppermost floors are private two-bedroom condos, with full kitchens; some owners rent them out through the resort reservation system. The ground floor and lower level house two-room suites on the lakefront side, with kitchenettes, some kind of water view and an outside terrace. On the landward side are single hotel bedrooms with private bath, which can either be rented separately or combined with the suite for larger parties. Because the shoreline is steep, the lower level suites open out at ground level while the single bedrooms look out on a landscaped courtyard and a retaining wall (the Sagamore calls them their "value" accommodations). Depending on where your Lodge is located, it can be a bit of a hike to the main hotel although the resort runs a little shuttle bus for people who don't want to walk.
We were happy to walk, because the grounds are stunning.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2007

This is the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. Everyone smiles. Service is accommodating, but not overbearing. Every request accommodated. Luxurious, but not stuffy. Rooms were well appointed, but not over done.

Food was not spectacular, but well prepared and straight foward.

We booked our return stay before we even left.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We went to the Sagamore on a family vaction, booking 2 so called suites in the Lodge because we were told that we couldn't fit in the hotel rooms when we booked in March. I requested to be in the Lodge closest to the main hotel because my father was handicapped and couldn't do alot of walking. Well, when we arrived they didn't have our room assignment yet, but the receptionist at the desk told me she had my request for building 1. When our rooms were finally ready they put us in building 3, to which I complained that I requested building 1 and was now told they had no record of that. Parking for the lodge is awful, the spots nearest are for residents. I dropped my father off at the lodge and parked my car about 1/2 mile away and now had to lug everything over. I was never offered assistance by the bell service. I called and complained and they sent someone to help me carry our belongings to the room.

At almost $600 a night (by the time you add in all the extra fees) I expected a lot more service that we experienced. The hotel is beautiful as are the grounds but for the prices they charge you expect more substance that just a pretty picture.

2  Thank vind715
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Outstanding! We loved every second of our stay at The Sagamore and most definately hope to return for many more vacations. We stayed in one of the lake side lodges which we found to be superb and could not find fault with. Very clean accommodation, comfortable, well kept and really a home from home, we did not want to leave. Every member of staff we came into contact with was very polite, courtious and did everything possible to make our vacation as enjoyable as possible. We rented a boat for a couple of hours fron Chic's boats which is based at The Sagamore and although a little expensive ($181 for 2 hours) it was great fun. Lots to see and do in the area although Lake George Village is very "touristy" and gets quite busy in the evening. Whilst staying at The Sagamore would recommend the evening dinner cruise on the Morgan as it's a great way to meet new people and see more lake views. A nice meal too. Overall a fantastic vacation experience, breath-taking scenery and a wonderful hotel.

1  Thank NY152
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#5 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!