“So many service issues!”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
New York City, New York
“So many service issues!”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed at the Sagamore over Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. I was so excited to stay as I had heard about it for years. I received a reduced rate as I was part of the wedding room block but for what the resort actually charges...it is so underwhelming. The setting is gorgeous. Nothing like it out there. But service issue after service issue. The front desk is always like grand central station. It took my husband and I about 15 minutes to get a simple question answered every time we stopped by the desk. The spa is so, so. My 50-minute treatment was 45 minutes. I had to stand while waiting for my massage and the relaxation area did not have enough chairs. The food was pretty average. Breakfast is utter chaos. The line is always out the door to wait for a table. So many service issues, too many to write here! But overall every single staff member would either agree to do something and it would be done wrong or a staff member would simply say such and such request wasn't their area and they couldn't help. No offer to find someone who could help. I stayed in The Lodge, overpriced (and that was even at my wedding discount rate!). The rooms are so dark. You can hear everything below and above you. My husband and I were woken up throughout the night by doors from other rooms opening and closing. The only redeeming quality of this place is the setting which is stunning. But go elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cbs2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 29, 2010

This slightly faded grande dame of upstate New York is beautifully located on Lake George. I did not stay in the main building but was in a cottage type unit with an annoying buzzing light outside that I eventually turned off. Lovely location and scenery.

They had trouble finding a package I had delivered prior to arrival, but other than that the service was top notch.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I have stayed at the Sagamore once a year for a conference that is held annually in May, but have not taken the time to write a review before now. Because I stay with a large conference in May, we receive deeply discounted room rates. I cannot imagine paying the full room rates during the high season.

The resort is lovely, and the new management is really trying its best to update the resort. Of course, any resort worth its salt will do the bulk of the construction during the offseason, which April/May certainly is, so I was not surprised at all to discover construction workers busily pouring cement and doing work.

Check-in is now in the main hotel lobby and went smoothly. The lobby opens up to the verandah and Lake George. There are many levels to find a chair and enjoy the view outside the verandah. The new outdoor pool looked lovely, but is only open during high season. The indoor pool is massive, and is very nice.

I stayed in a Lodge Suite as I've done before. There is a small kitchen with stove top, sink, and small refrigerator. I do wish they would add a full size refrigerator, but only because we always host a hospitality suite in my room. The living room boasts a large sectional couch, and a huge flat screen TV. The verandah had been redecked, and there were two new metal rocking chairs. There is also a dining table with 3 chairs.

The bathroom is enormous, with a tub and separate shower. I absolutely hated the low flow shower head. I understand the effort to save water, but the flow was so low, it was impossible to get the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.

The bedroom has a super comfy king size bed with new linens. There is a combination chest of drawers and TV stand that is wonderful - wish I could buy one - tons of storage space. The huge window offers a beautiful view of Lake George.

I was very pleased to find out that the fitness center now opens at 5:00 a.m. as opposed to 6:30 as in previous years. They have eliminated the attendant, so I guess that made it possible for it to open at 5:00. For the business traveler, this is extremely helpful and appreciated. They do need to spend some money to update their equipment. Although all of the equipment was in good working order, the ellipticals are getting long in the tooth.

I had a massage at the beautiful spa. They hydrospa area is wonderful - very tranquil, and I enjoyed lounging in there before my massage.

I mostly ate meals as part of the conference, but I did eat lunch at Mr. Brown's Pub one day, and had room service one night. The fish sandwich at Mr. Brown's Pub was not crunchy, and I didn't like its flavor. The service, though, was excellent - very attentive. The room service was also quick, although my steak was not cooked to my stated preference (not even close, I ordered medium and it was rare).

For the most part, the maid service and turndown service was good. However, the one day, my room was still not made up at 4:00. I thought they had missed my room, so I called housekeeping. They had not gotten to my room yet. I understand that several of the rooms, including mine, were somewhat of a mess because of the hospitality suites the night before. That also meant it took her a full hour to finish up my room, so I really could not use my room until 5:00 that day. Maybe they could provide a little extra support for the housekeeping staff whenever the hotel is at full occupancy.

My one big complaint is the new conference center, which is now in the building where the indoor tennis courts used to be. There is NO air conditioning, so the building was broiling hot two of the three days of the exhibition. There is also only one bathroom (and I do mean one toilet) for the ladies room, which is absolutely infuriating. I had to walk up the hill to the old conference center. Luckily the weather was nice, but it was still a hike in high heels and took lots of time away from my work.

I would have to say that if you can get a decent room rate, The Sagamore is a lovely, quiet retreat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We stayed at the Sagamore Hotel recently and it was, quite honestly, one of the worst hotels I've ever been to. We literally encountered a problem every single step of the way (reservations, check in, housekeeping, the restaurant, etc.) and we aren't picky people, by any means.

Check in: we booked our reservation over the phonewith a special package that had been promoted on their website. I even called the night before we arrived to make sure everything was ok. Yet when we arrived the front desk had never heard of this package, there was no note in our reservation that we were booked under a promotion, and they had already charged our credit card for double the rate that we had agree to. Great first impression. Well, that and the fact that we had to walk around noisy construction vehicles on a sidewalk strewn with dirt and debris in order to walk into the front door.

The Room: We stayed in the hotel and had a view of the lake. Let me just say, the room is SMALL. It fits the bed and a tiny little chair wedged into the corner, that's it. For $400 a night there's no desk, no little table or seating area, nothing like that. When I reached to turn on the lamp my hand went through a pile of cobwebs. There was bird poop all over our windows (what a view!). But the room was beautifully decorated and the bathroom was nice and clean. The best part of the stay is the turn down service at night. It consists of... throwing some chocolates onto your unmade, messy bed and hightailing it out of there. Seriously, they did this three nights in a row- came in, left our bed messy and unmade (there's nowhere else to SIT!) and put a piece of chocolate on the pillow. Why even bother?
The WORST part of the room is that the walls are THIN AS PAPER. Forget setting your own schedule, you'll be falling asleep and waking up based on your neighbors sleeping patterns. We could hear our neighbors TV, hear them talking in the morning, and, umm.... everything in between. Not fun.

The Restaurant: We were told that all of the restaurants would be open. Well, that was baloney. Unless you come in the dead of the summer high season, only a bar area and and the Italian restaurant will be open- everything else is closed. We ate lunch in the bar area one time, and were rewarded with a lovey view of the lake... which was completely obscured by the overturned patio furniture that was piled high right in front of all the windows. Breathtaking! We also ate at the Italian restaurant twice- la Bella Vita. The food was really really good... if you don't mind waiting 25 minutes just to get bread and water. The waitstaff is always on the other side of the room doing something else. One night we were seated right next to a dirty table, which STILL wasn't cleared an hour later when our food finally arrived. I literally had to ask the waiter to have someone clear the table because, I'm sorry, I'm not eating a $150 meal of steak and lobster with my husband next to a table full of crusty old plates and old wine glasses. Ridiculious.

The Hotel in General: Although we were ASSURED that everything would be up and running, there was SO MUCH construction going on that we couldn't even sit outside and read, for fear of losing our hearing. When the construction workes finally retired for the evening we were able to sit outside, only to find that all the dirty plates and glasses that we had seen on the tables earlier that morning were STILL sitting there. So gross.

Basically, despite the fact that I verified ahead of time with multiple people that things would be open, EVERYTHING was closed. The pool, the dock, the boat ride, the restaurants, etc. were all closed. Even the stupid little nature trail was inaccessible due to wet cement. But that doesn't stop them from trying to charge you an AMMENITIES FEE of $25 a night. Umm.... what ammenities?!?!

Other Annoying Things:
- If you want to use a computer, bring a credit card. The signs on the computers in the conference room say you will be charged PER MINUTE. Bring a laptop.

All in all I have to say, we will NEVER be going back, and we would NOT recommend this place to a friend... OR an enemy! The only thing this place has going for it is the location, other than that the whole place is run so poorly that it's almost funny... until you realize how much money you wasted on staying there. Next time we go to Lake George we'll be staying somewhere much nicer!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank takeme2beaches
Houston
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Definitely go to the tea room, it is fabulous. If you get a chance go to the Sagamore Sailing school you will have an absolute blast! We went twice and had two different instructors. We have sailed all of our lives and really didn't need instruction but the instructors furthered out sailing skills and they were so much fun! The Sagamore Hotel used our photos from that beautiful day on Lake George in their sailing school brochures, and a few items found in the gift shop. I truly feel as though we are now a part of the Sagamore Hotel history! How incredible is that?

I have been to the Sagamore many times over the years and always in the fall, the grounds of the Hotel are beautiful. I stay in the Lodges, not the main building. I have always been impressed with the Lodge suites. They are larger and have a fireplace, couch, small kitchen and bedroom. You need to be specific when calling to make sure you have a view of the water - if you look at a map of the property, you may think you are right on the water, but there are no windows in the room with a view of the lake.

The last time I was there the staff made a point to tell us the hotel was purchased by a new owner - and the staff was nearly cut in half. Maybe that was why the service was not as perfect this time as in the past.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
South Jersey
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Went there in October with hubby. Purpose of trip- to relax after a grueling summer of work in our family business. We don't require too much to do, just wanted to relax, however, during that time of year most of the businesses in the area are closed down for the season. There is some nice shopping at the outlets and a few restaurants are open in the area. The resort is nice. We had to move rooms because our first room, which was supposed to be a suite, had a sitting room with a couch and that's it. No tv, no table- kinda weird. We moved to another room, which was very nice. Had a few meals in the pub and the food was very good. Upon talking to the staff, we learned there is some grumbling among the ranks because the resort has just been taken over by a corporation and about 150 were let go- not great for morale. We wanted to go out on their boat, but for some reason it wasn't running. The food in the larger restaurant was also very good. Overall, a nice, relaxing trip. Also, visited the spa, which was nice. The property does need some work.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed January 7, 2010

First of all, let me say that the location of the Sagamore -- the view and the pool area overlooking the lake -- are so incredibly beautful and breathtaking that they almost overshadow any negative I might have to say.
BUT I agree with other posters that the "townhomes" are nasty, dark and shabby. Really surprising given the price of the place, and how nice the main hotel is. I would not stay in these rooms again. Food was fine, but nothing amazing. Also, the clientele is a odd mix of people 50+ and rich families and their kids, who tend to sort of stick to themselves. It was summer, and you just didn't get the sense that anyone was having fun. I think my kids (ages 9 and 11) would have had more fun at a cheaper motel along the strip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#10 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!