“First-Class in every way”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
“First-Class in every way”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We just got home from a fabulous weekend at The Sagamore. We had a beautiful suite with a spectacular lake view in the historic part of the hotel. Everything, both inside and out, was spotless and impeccably maintained. We took the "Spring Fling" Package which included breakfast and dinner each day and was a tremendous value .To say the dining experience was terrific would be an understatement...the food and the service were absolutely top notch. Every staff member we dealt with in any capacity, from the doormen to the front desk to the maids to the servers, were exceptionally personable and made us feel welcome. And the lake is just gorgeous. Our first but definitely not our last trip to The Sagamore!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barry L
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Barry L,

I thank you for your recent posting. For us, the best part was your comment, "our first but definitely not our last trip to The Sagamore"! Simply put, we thank you and can't wait to welcome you back again!

Regards,

Tom Guay, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My best friend and I had Mother's Day brunch at your place and it was so wonderful. It was a very tough day for both of us as both of our moms have passed. My friend Sarah just recently had it happen and we wanted to do something nice to commemorate it. Your staff was spot on especially Kimberly who took such good care of us and made us feel at home. The food was amazing and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be at the Sagamore. I always love going there and bringing new people to see how grand it is. Thank you again for such superior service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank wanita36
Dear wanita36,

I was truly thrilled to see that you enjoyed the Mothers Day brunch with us. I know Kimberly will be pleased to read your kind words! I was sorry to read that both your Mom's had passed, my condolences. Thank you again for making our day and we look forward to a speedy return!

New Hartford, NY
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a lovely place for a getaway, romantic weekend or conference. We were there for a Girls' Getaway Weekend. The service was welcoming and the experience was great. We stayed in one of the lodges. A big advantage if you stay in a lodge is the shuttle service between the main building and the lodge you are staying in. Nice touch. The room was comfortable. Only wish we had been given a room with a lake view. Nevertheless, because it rained the first day, it was OK. The food was very good in the restaurant and the servers attentive without being intrusive.
There was a pianist in the restaurant on Friday evening and that was nice entertainment.
This is 10 miles from Lake George if you want more action in season. Bolton Landing itself is small with a few shops, but very peaceful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View...would be well worth it as the view is gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linspj
Dear Linspj,

Thank you for joining us and attending the "Girls Getaway Weekend". We were thrilled with the attendance and I know that the organizers were also happy with the weekend. I was happy that you found the service welcoming. Your kind words are appreciated.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I just spent the evening at the sagamore.I was in Saratoga for a horse show and went out of my way to stay at the sagamore living in syracuse.Being mothers day weekend I decided to treat myself.I checked in and saw the rate of 220 online being off season which I felt was a very good rate.Little did I know I would be staying at the lodge with an upgrade supposibly.I go to find the building and it looks like an out of date apartment complex .still very excited to stay there thought rooms must be nice inside. I finally find my room which is ground level with a beautiful view of the parking lot full of cars.The room it self was awful dark and gloomy and nothing different if I was to stay at a red roof inn.blowdryer wall unit broke as well as the coffee maker.I was so upset and disappointed being mothers day weekend .I told two people at the front desk I was very disappointed they replied with the same answer "OH".Well trained front desk.I travel often and around the world and this was definitely not the best experience or dealing with professionals.food ok.restaurant management very accomadating.I your in the area it's worth enjoying the deck and pool on the back off the hotel as beautiful scenery and that's really all this hotel has in terms of being 4 star:)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Tammy L
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Tammy L,

Thank you for your recent posting. As you will see throughout my responses I was happy that you chose to stay at The Sagamore but I was very concerned with the heading of "Not Service Oriented". Please know that we take all reviews very seriously and try very hard to use them as a tool to improve the guest experience.

I was sorry to see that you felt the lodge room was not to your standard. The lodge buildings have been completely renovated and upgraded over the past three years and the vast majority of our guests have expressed satisfaction with the improvements. I was concerned with the reaction of our front desk agents but I was pleased to see that you felt the restaurant management was very accommodating.

In closing, I do thank you for staying with us and would hope you return. I would also love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally.

Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Our visit was a gift and the Sagamore sent us a welcome package with a letter stating the value of our gift. As presented by the Sagamore, it was a gift that would allow us multiple nights and several meals which was exciting for us as a getaway.

The accommodations were very nice - almost as good as a Hilton or Marriott. The restaurants were mediocre - leave the resort and find some local flavor - did not need the staff who seemed to indicate they were doing us a favor. Food was just OK.

Upon checking out, we learned that the Sagamore had misprinted the letter and the value was for about 1/3 of what was printed. "Sorry" - while that was embarassing, we now had to check with the giver to see what the real value was to be sure they were not overcharged.

I have waited to write this as I wanted to give OPAL resorts and the SAGAMORE a chance to respond to direct contact. After two weeks, I figure that they are not interested in dealing with customers once they have spent their money. I guess it is easier to get new customers as opposed to keeping the old ones by treating them well.

Nice setting - worth seeing the resort - go and have a drink on the terrace - stay someplace else, eat off the property - Save yourself the aggravation.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view or Stay someplace else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnm2418
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear johnm2418,

Thank you for your recent posting. While I was happy you stayed with us I was concerned to see that there is a problem with your gift certificate and it's value. We do care deeply about our guests and as such could you please contact me directly to discuss your bill and other aspects of your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Telford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were looking forward to spending a weekend at this gorgeous hotel. I was not disappointed in the ambience, views and staff at the Sagamore. It was just wonderful. We were there in October of 2013, celebrating our anniversary. Everything was wonderful until Saturday night. They had a wedding there. Apparently, it was warm enough for them to have the band outside. It was incredibly loud...even through closed windows to our room.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor if you want a good view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jc0stell0
Dear jcOstellO,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay save one aspect. We do have a noise ordinance in the town of Bolton Landing and also we stop all bands at 10:00 pm. As you know the resort is quite expansive and on your next visit ask to be away from Shelving Rock Terrace which is our venue for weddings. I am confident that another wing of the hotel would work for you.

Thank you again for choosing The Sagamore and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Lyman, Maine
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I am from Maine, my family home is a block from Stephen King’s in Bangor, and I read The Shining from cover to cover for the first time while snowed in in a farmhouse in Industry, Maine. Imagine my delight when the desk clerk apologized at check-in that due to a mix up in the reservation system with Disney, the hotel would be un-staffed on my last night. Further, there would be only 4 guests sharing the vast rooms and grounds. In other words, I would have the hotel almost to myself. The only thing better would have been if she had expressed hesitation about upgrading the room to Room 245 because of ghost reports there. There were no ghosts but Room 245 was a pure delight and I appreciated the upgrade even though it was not necessary. Located at the end of a long corridor, rooms 245 and 246 share a common entryway and 245 looks out at the lake while the bathroom looks east to the mountains and sunrise.

Our trip was from May 3 to May 6. Since it was pre-season the hotel was essentially closed from Monday at noon until our departure on Tuesday morning. Despite this, our stay was perfect. Huge, wood-framed buildings are not constructed like this anymore. The hesitancy is that it will be like an aging dowager; once beautiful but now out of date and out of time. This is not the case. WI-FI actually works even in the most distant room. Bathroom fixtures are modern, don’t leak and there is abundant hot water. The building is still wood framed and painting must be an almost constant project. Nothing has been apparently deferred. The colors are bright, the common areas are a great mixture of wood and updated furniture, and the workout area is huge and has everything one could possibly want. The bar is perfect. Bill the bartender knows of the Overlook connection and responds to the name Lloyd.

Whether you want to passively sit on the porch and watch lake life pass by or actively hike several nearby mountains, you won’t be more comfortably fed, bed or pampered than at The Sagamore. Even if you are the only guest for one of the nights and you hear distant orchestra music around midnight and notice a chill every time you pass by a certain room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Zeebart,

It was our pleasure having you and a "few others" oversee the resort for a few days! I am happy to say that for at least the next 6 months we will be open 7 days a week! We appreciate your review and thank you for all the wonderful things your wrote. We work very hard to keep a building that is close to 90 years old in great shape and it is always nice to hear that our efforts are noticed. Oh, one quick note, we do staff the resort with security 24/7 365 days a year just to keep the ghosts on notice!

Thank you again for your fun review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#9 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!