“Serene and beautiful resort.”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
New Hartford, NY
“Serene and beautiful resort.”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a lovely place for a getaway, romantic weekend or conference. We were there for a Girls' Getaway Weekend. The service was welcoming and the experience was great. We stayed in one of the lodges. A big advantage if you stay in a lodge is the shuttle service between the main building and the lodge you are staying in. Nice touch. The room was comfortable. Only wish we had been given a room with a lake view. Nevertheless, because it rained the first day, it was OK. The food was very good in the restaurant and the servers attentive without being intrusive.
There was a pianist in the restaurant on Friday evening and that was nice entertainment.
This is 10 miles from Lake George if you want more action in season. Bolton Landing itself is small with a few shops, but very peaceful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View...would be well worth it as the view is gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linspj
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Linspj,

Thank you for joining us and attending the "Girls Getaway Weekend". We were thrilled with the attendance and I know that the organizers were also happy with the weekend. I was happy that you found the service welcoming. Your kind words are appreciated.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

Tom Guay, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I just spent the evening at the sagamore.I was in Saratoga for a horse show and went out of my way to stay at the sagamore living in syracuse.Being mothers day weekend I decided to treat myself.I checked in and saw the rate of 220 online being off season which I felt was a very good rate.Little did I know I would be staying at the lodge with an upgrade supposibly.I go to find the building and it looks like an out of date apartment complex .still very excited to stay there thought rooms must be nice inside. I finally find my room which is ground level with a beautiful view of the parking lot full of cars.The room it self was awful dark and gloomy and nothing different if I was to stay at a red roof inn.blowdryer wall unit broke as well as the coffee maker.I was so upset and disappointed being mothers day weekend .I told two people at the front desk I was very disappointed they replied with the same answer "OH".Well trained front desk.I travel often and around the world and this was definitely not the best experience or dealing with professionals.food ok.restaurant management very accomadating.I your in the area it's worth enjoying the deck and pool on the back off the hotel as beautiful scenery and that's really all this hotel has in terms of being 4 star:)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Tammy L
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Tammy L,

Thank you for your recent posting. As you will see throughout my responses I was happy that you chose to stay at The Sagamore but I was very concerned with the heading of "Not Service Oriented". Please know that we take all reviews very seriously and try very hard to use them as a tool to improve the guest experience.

I was sorry to see that you felt the lodge room was not to your standard. The lodge buildings have been completely renovated and upgraded over the past three years and the vast majority of our guests have expressed satisfaction with the improvements. I was concerned with the reaction of our front desk agents but I was pleased to see that you felt the restaurant management was very accommodating.

In closing, I do thank you for staying with us and would hope you return. I would also love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally.

Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Our visit was a gift and the Sagamore sent us a welcome package with a letter stating the value of our gift. As presented by the Sagamore, it was a gift that would allow us multiple nights and several meals which was exciting for us as a getaway.

The accommodations were very nice - almost as good as a Hilton or Marriott. The restaurants were mediocre - leave the resort and find some local flavor - did not need the staff who seemed to indicate they were doing us a favor. Food was just OK.

Upon checking out, we learned that the Sagamore had misprinted the letter and the value was for about 1/3 of what was printed. "Sorry" - while that was embarassing, we now had to check with the giver to see what the real value was to be sure they were not overcharged.

I have waited to write this as I wanted to give OPAL resorts and the SAGAMORE a chance to respond to direct contact. After two weeks, I figure that they are not interested in dealing with customers once they have spent their money. I guess it is easier to get new customers as opposed to keeping the old ones by treating them well.

Nice setting - worth seeing the resort - go and have a drink on the terrace - stay someplace else, eat off the property - Save yourself the aggravation.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view or Stay someplace else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnm2418
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear johnm2418,

Thank you for your recent posting. While I was happy you stayed with us I was concerned to see that there is a problem with your gift certificate and it's value. We do care deeply about our guests and as such could you please contact me directly to discuss your bill and other aspects of your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Telford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were looking forward to spending a weekend at this gorgeous hotel. I was not disappointed in the ambience, views and staff at the Sagamore. It was just wonderful. We were there in October of 2013, celebrating our anniversary. Everything was wonderful until Saturday night. They had a wedding there. Apparently, it was warm enough for them to have the band outside. It was incredibly loud...even through closed windows to our room.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor if you want a good view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jc0stell0
Dear jcOstellO,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay save one aspect. We do have a noise ordinance in the town of Bolton Landing and also we stop all bands at 10:00 pm. As you know the resort is quite expansive and on your next visit ask to be away from Shelving Rock Terrace which is our venue for weddings. I am confident that another wing of the hotel would work for you.

Thank you again for choosing The Sagamore and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Lyman, Maine
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I am from Maine, my family home is a block from Stephen King’s in Bangor, and I read The Shining from cover to cover for the first time while snowed in in a farmhouse in Industry, Maine. Imagine my delight when the desk clerk apologized at check-in that due to a mix up in the reservation system with Disney, the hotel would be un-staffed on my last night. Further, there would be only 4 guests sharing the vast rooms and grounds. In other words, I would have the hotel almost to myself. The only thing better would have been if she had expressed hesitation about upgrading the room to Room 245 because of ghost reports there. There were no ghosts but Room 245 was a pure delight and I appreciated the upgrade even though it was not necessary. Located at the end of a long corridor, rooms 245 and 246 share a common entryway and 245 looks out at the lake while the bathroom looks east to the mountains and sunrise.

Our trip was from May 3 to May 6. Since it was pre-season the hotel was essentially closed from Monday at noon until our departure on Tuesday morning. Despite this, our stay was perfect. Huge, wood-framed buildings are not constructed like this anymore. The hesitancy is that it will be like an aging dowager; once beautiful but now out of date and out of time. This is not the case. WI-FI actually works even in the most distant room. Bathroom fixtures are modern, don’t leak and there is abundant hot water. The building is still wood framed and painting must be an almost constant project. Nothing has been apparently deferred. The colors are bright, the common areas are a great mixture of wood and updated furniture, and the workout area is huge and has everything one could possibly want. The bar is perfect. Bill the bartender knows of the Overlook connection and responds to the name Lloyd.

Whether you want to passively sit on the porch and watch lake life pass by or actively hike several nearby mountains, you won’t be more comfortably fed, bed or pampered than at The Sagamore. Even if you are the only guest for one of the nights and you hear distant orchestra music around midnight and notice a chill every time you pass by a certain room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Zeebart,

It was our pleasure having you and a "few others" oversee the resort for a few days! I am happy to say that for at least the next 6 months we will be open 7 days a week! We appreciate your review and thank you for all the wonderful things your wrote. We work very hard to keep a building that is close to 90 years old in great shape and it is always nice to hear that our efforts are noticed. Oh, one quick note, we do staff the resort with security 24/7 365 days a year just to keep the ghosts on notice!

Thank you again for your fun review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is stunning and if you're lucky enough to have a room with a view or balcony, you will enjoy every minute!

The food was excellent and, even "off-season", reservations are recommended. We were seated at 8:30 for our 8:00pm reservations, but we enjoyed a some great wine at the bar. The food and service was great, so we didn't mind the wait.

We walked the grounds in the morning. Although chilly, it was beautiful and worth doing in any season. The spa is lovely and services were fabulous. I will definitely try to go back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ChappieMom,

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about The Sagamore. Like you we agree that the location and view is beautiful and I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

Albany, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were looking for a nice place nearby home to spend our first anniversary. We chose the Sagamore based on location and reputation. We were not disappointed. This place was as expected, a grand place in a beautiful location on Lake George. The valet and bell staff greeted us and from there everyone we talked with at the resort were friendly and helpful. They made us feel welcomed.

The rooms are very nice and very clean. We stayed in Room 316. This room is a lake view room, facing east (sunrise) but is not on one of the main wings. If looking for a lake view room, request rooms between 300-307 facing south (303 and 304 are suites) or 342-349 facing east (345 and 346 are suites). We will be doing so next trip.

I have to say, we were there in April, and it was not super busy. Not all restaurants are open but there was plenty to eat and do. Also this time of year, most restaurants and shops in Bolton and even Lake George Village are closed. That being said, I am not sure I would want to be there "in season". We were able to relax and enjoy ourselves without feeling we were competing for space.

We had a great weekend and will definitely be back next year for our anniversary.

Room Tip: If looking for a lake view room, request rooms between 300-307 facing south (303 and 304 are suites...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Al K
Dear Al K,

I was happy to see that you chose The Sagamore for your anniversary celebration! Thank you for the kind words. I was pleased to read that the staff made you feel welcome! Always nice to hear for sure!

We appreciate your business, thank you for your posting and we certainly look forward to seeing you for your anniversary next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#10 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!