“Past it's Prime”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Stamford, Connecticut
“Past it's Prime”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

As part of a group of eight friends, we spent two nights at the Sagamore for New Year's eve. There was a special holiday package that included the rooms, New Year's Eve dinner and a breakfast buffet the next morning. There was also a dance with champagne late in the evening. We had heard such wonderful things about The Sagamore and were excited about going. We were surprised to see that the rooms were in need of renovating. There are noisy heaters attached to the wall, chipped paint, meager furnishings and decorating that did not create a cozy feeling. It was extremely cold outside and we would have liked a lovely comfortable room in which to curl up .

When we looked for outlets to plug in our phones, we were pretty surprised that there were few outlets and those were overloaded with multiple items. One outlet was even hanging out of the wall.

The food was good and the gym facilities are adequate. The spa was lovely. All in all, I would say that there is room for improvement, considering the amount of money charged for a stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mashkie
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Mashkie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. We appreciate the kind words regarding the food, gym facilities and the spa. In addition thank you for pointing out the areas which need attention. We rely on guest feedback and once again thank you for providing it. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sagamore in the near future.

sincerely,

Tom Guay, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Vernon, New Jersey
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel is truly exquisite. The rooms were beautifully decorated, The hotel itself was emaculate,well decorated. it has a great indoor pool, a fantistic restaurant and friendly staff. They could not do enough for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robert R
Dear robert R,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We value guest feedback and in your case we were thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed there last year… was a great time. Was expensive, but since they participated in the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program the deal was worth it. However, recently learned they no longer participate in the program. Probably won't return unless they rejoin the program. That's a shame.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anonymous10016
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Anonymous 10016,

Thank you for staying with us last August. You are correct that we no longer participate in the FHR program however we do have many packages available throughout the year that offer value for just about everyone. Our website lists the packages available and we encourage our guests to call the resort directly to get more information. Again thank you for staying with us and I do hope you decide to once again choose The Sagamore!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Based upon the reviews of the Sagamore on TripAdvisor, as well as by friends & family....my fiance and I decided to book the New Year's Eve Package at the Sagamore this year. Included with the package was a room with a king size bed, dinner, admittance to the NYE Gala, and brunch the following morning. In total we paid over $500. Let me start off by saying that the best part of the package was the food at Bella Vita. Our waitress recommended the 10 oz. Prime Rib and Tiramisu....which were simply divine! Brunch the next morning was just as wonderful, however, the service wasn't as good. Our waiter forgot to tell us how to proceed to the buffet and he was no where to be found when we needed drink refills or the check.

A downside to the package that I was unaware of was that alcoholic drinks were not included with the package. It wasn't that big of a deal for us because we are not drinkers. However, for people looking to have a few drinks to bring in the New Year....you were looking at around $10 a drink! Like the other reviewers, I too, had a difficult time making dinner reservations at Bella Vita for NYE. Even though it was included in the package, we were instructed to call the restaurant and leave a message on their answering machine as to how many people and what time we wanted to come in for dinner. I called about 2 weeks in advance and never heard back from the restaurant. In fact, I had to call numerous times the day before in order to be put in touch with someone in regards to our reservations. When I finally reached someone, I was told that the restaurant was completely booked and that I would have to make reservations at Mr. Brown's Pub or attend the buffet at the Gala. I asked if they would be able to double check to see if I was on the list for dinner, before I went ahead and made other reservations. After being transferred numerous times, I finally found out that we did have reservations for dinner at the Bella Vita....however, for some reason, no one called us back to let us know.

Another disappointment to us was the room. We opted for a king size bed in one of the lodges. Since our room was on the first floor, the room temperature was pretty chilly, no matter how high we cranked up the heat. Furthermore, to make matters worse, we had loud, screaming children in the rooms next to us and above us. Unbeknownst to us, the resort was having a kid/family week, so there were numerous kids and families all over the resort. We did have to call security at one point because the screaming got to be unbearable. I have to say that they were quick to respond and that their presence did seem to help.

The Gala was okay and the band (City Rhythm) was decent. The crowd consisted mostly of adults over the age of 45, so we definitely did not fit in. While they did do a good job at having quite a few bars set up, I did not find any appetizers or food to eat. This was a big disappointment, as we were told that food would be available at the Gala throughout the night.

We will definitely be skipping the NYE Package at the Sagamore next year.

Room Tip: The Lodges- Go for a room on one of the top floors and opt for a fireplace, especially in the winter...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jojo7180
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear "NYE Package Not What I Expected",

As with all reviews we thank you for taking the time to review us. We are thankful that you stayed with us and also appreciate being given feedback that will help us improve. As I am sure you know, this was the first holiday season that we have been open for in 5 years. Following the holidays we will review our offerings, promotions and programs and your feedback will be helpful. We were pleased with the turnout and while we recognize there were areas that we must improve upon generally speaking we felt that the holidays including NYE was a success. I was also happy to read that you felt the food in La Bella Vita met expectations.

Thank you again for staying with us and again for taking the time to post your review.

Albany, NY
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Sagamore between Christmas and New Years and found the resort to be very comfortable (especially the rooms), cozy and well maintained overall. Upon checking in, even though we specifically requested a King room with a tub, we were assigned a handicapped room without a real shower/tub. We called to complain after discovering we didn't get what we had requested and were assigned a new room, so we had to pack up all our belongings and move after just getting there. Not a good start! The rest of our stay was good/average - read the good/could be better below for additional tips on what to expect.

THE GOOD: Comfortable and well maintained rooms - you'll get a good night's sleep; nicely maintained resort areas in most places (see below); nice and friendly staff; reasonable rates; nice gym facilities; restaurants ok - could be better (see below).

COULD BE BETTER: 1) We have stayed at the Sagamore many times and haven't in a while - it would have been nice to be greeted as a returning customer and be given a 'What's new overview since the last time we stayed (personalized service as a known customer); 2) Menu Selections are Limited at Caldwell's - especially sandwich choices; 3) Gym Facilities are nice, but some equipment is worn out (I lift 300+ pounds and the bench press safety stops were scary - like they wouldn't be reliable weight safety stops if I couldn't lift the selected weight - dangerous); Food is ok (for example - the Pesto Chicken Panini was, as my wife jokingly put it "Presto-Blando", very bland; Checkout was quick and without any personalized service/greeting; The room we moved to after our handicap disaster (read above) was just above the kitchen and heard all sorts of noises that were not in-line with a top quality resort.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in rooms near 207 as this just above the kitchen and you'll encounter all sorts of n...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Great, Restful Stay - Personalized Service Missing",

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to see that there were several areas you rated as favorable. It is appreciated. In addition thank you for pointing out where we can do better. We try very hard to continually improve and the areas you highlighted will help us.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Booked one night New Years Eve package. Price for Room, dinner, Gala, and brunch over $500 without Tax, resort fee, gratuities. Of course alcohol was extra. Total price all said and done $900.
Not complaining. Expected that price and have paid close to that for same set up elsewhere. Problem started, includes Dinner. But then you need to make reservations. But Hotel is only opened on certain dates, and no return calls. So when we did get through, Friday before, no more reservations. Person Rose kept saying I am sorry, but no other options or explanations on how you can book a dinner,dance, and room stay, but then say well you can eat from the buffet at tables with other people at the Gala? NOOOO, the buffet, is for those coming to the Gala for the night....not for that price! So finally it was said " I shouldn't even do this but I will, give you 5:30 reservations...when check in is at 4, and we have a five hour drive...great thanks. No refunds, you had to do that by 12/17. So we settled, or had no other option. Took the 5:30. But Rose you missed something. We needed reservation for buffet next day...we will get to that......Dinner was ok. Ragu sauce was just that ragu. Lobster was not fresh. Frozen and water logged. My wife, said her filet was good no complaints. I traded desert for a coffee. She had the lemon pound cake which she suggested you should skip. So after dinner we relaxed and went over to the Gala, where we could have gotten in at 7 thoight 9, but no one told us...We get there at 9, the buffet was being broken down......the band was good, and the crowd was fun we had a great time dancing...bartender service was good, and plenty of them. So there is a +! We stayed in the hotel not the lodges, which I would reccomend. So after eating at 5:30, and not having anything available at the Gala except for drinks, we started the new year to come back to find everything closed at the hotel, not even a snack machine to get peanuts. Was told at the front desk buffet is from 10-2 tomorrow and you need reservations. Great! We asked but the pamphlet says 7am, hoping, because it will only be 6 hours till we can get something to eat, since we are trapped...the front desk said you could go into town, maybe something is open. Very helpful. Better to not say anything because it sounded sarcastic or plain dumb to say that. So we sleep in, get up and go a little early expecting a line to find we sat very fast at 9:45! Good news right? Nahh....find out theu did open at 7! And was told that the omlette station, waffles, and french toast is not available they are switiching over to afternoon brunch...at ten?? Someone needs to take a course. I did brunch buffets for years....never broke down breakfast options at 10, especially when being told, its not 7 but 10. I am not the only one...the rest of the hotel showed up like an explosion at 10 ish...to find a surprised and overwhelmed staff..nothing set up yet, then the long chow line started for the eggs and bacon or yogurt, lack of bread they ran out, no one with energy or ambition restocking...poor service, poor management, no plan. No wonder why American Express dropped it from its preferred resort list. Should have known. It was like a bunch of clowns that were trained last night, to say "my pleasure" about 100 times. Take your $$ and kick you out the door. Was looking forward to coming up again for the ice bar weekend, but I will pass and look closer here, or just stay home. I have stayed here three times. Each time got worse. We planned on having our wedding here, but that conversation was rude and not much help, which turned us off. Glad we did, because this experience really turned me off with this new change.....I was hoping to come up a few times this summer....I need to see some real good reviews to take the chance for this price. Management you failed miserably, your valet service and bartenders should be promoted, because they are the only ones that understood the service and cost of this place, and care about their company. Good luck with the future.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank kazu79
Dear "Not impressed, disappointed Actually",

Like you we are disappointed as well. We are thankful however that you stayed with us to celebrate the New year. Your review is helpful as we step back and review our offerings, service and programs for 2014.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write the review, it is appreciated and will be put to good use.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sagamore for New Years Eve and the preceding night. We paid roughly $800 for this package of dinner gala and brunch the next day.

While the property and location are magnificent, service and value were lacking to an intolerable degree. It's like all the other reviews with negative comments say: it's a crown jewel on the lake, but the prices and untrained staff make the jewel not sparkle nearly as bright as it could.

We were two couples and had two very different rooms, "garden view" or rather parking lot view and also lake view upper level. Both rooms were in the main hotel and we apparently had it good compared to others in the lodges and other ancillary accommodations outside the main building.

While the lake view was quite nice for the outside scenery, the room had shower issues, wallpaper peeling and needed a style update overall. Beds and bedding were clean and comfortable to be fair.

Housekeeping was mediocre at best and both nights we received no turn down service.

Phones buttons did not route to housekeeping, front desk, bell services, etc. We always called 0 and received front desk staff that were not very knowledgeable and untrained. They couldn't answer questions about our New Years package, dining options, etc.

We asked for wine glasses from room service only to receive them 30+ minutes later, just not on par with the ratings and prices or my expectations.

While the food was not bad, we ate in several onsite locations, it was not anything I would expect from a 4 diamond property. Beverages were also drastically over-priced for cocktails and wines especially. A breakfast for 4 was $75 w/o alcohol and a lunch with a few drinks and basic entrees for 4 was $125. I'd consider myself a foodie and have eaten in some highly esteemed establishments and this place just does not compare for the price. The Inn at Erlowest down the road, while much smaller has exquisite cuisine, a magnificent wine list and impeccable service for similar or lower prices.

While we are long time Lake George lovers for over 40 years and will continue to come back to the region for other resorts and camping it definitely will not be at the Sagamore. I'm sad to say that all those times looking at the beautiful Sagamore from the lake and wondering what it held, has now left me so sadly disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear "High hopes only to be let down..."

We appreciate that you took the time to review The Sagamore. I was pleased to read that you felt the property and location were magnificent. I was however concerned with the other aspects of your review. As you might expect our guests are very loyal and also very critical of the level of service provided and also let us know where we fall short. Your review will certainly help us as we are constantly looking to improve in all areas.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope you decide to return to The Sagamore soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake George
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#22 of 88 in Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!