“Didn't stay after seeing the place” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sagamore Resort

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
abu dhabi, united arab emirates
“Didn't stay after seeing the place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

We booked a condo which says sleeps 6 people. Were given a small condo with only 2 queen beds, no sofa bed. It was on two levels. The management tried to accomodate us but instead of the condominium tried to give us a junior suite with another room they called connected. It wasn't connected in any way and you have to go outside to a different door to go to it. Read their policy before you book - 30 days notice or two nights taken as a deposit.. They wanted to charge us $4000 for the four nights because I didn't want to stay. Before you book - make sure it can accomodate you. I wasn't on spring break where it's o.k. for everyone sleeping on the floor so I don't think $950/night for that was acceptable. The management finally charged us only 1 night and went on my way. It's an o.k. hotel full of bugs from the surrounding lakes and mountains and I didn't find it suitable for our family. Maybe it is for yours. Just don't bet your whole stay on it.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank alibeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

The Sagamore is a fabulous hotel located near Lake George. My husband and I stayed with friends for several days and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet was very good, and the location of the hotel is just breathtaking. We also had a complimentary ride in a horse driven carriage with a very nice gentleman who steered the horse. We stayed in the lodges. My only criticism of the Sagamore is that our room was not great, it was underground with a view of the parking lot. I happened to see some of their other accommodations, though, and they were all very nice (with the exception of the lodges down below). However, everything else was wonderful. The exercise facility is the best yet that I have seen in a hotel. I would definitely go back to the Sagamore. It's a truly exceptional hotel.

• Liked — Amazing staff and Great Exercise Facility
  • Disliked — Our Underground Lodge Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed in a lodge suite at The Sagamore. The suite contained a kitchen, large living and dining room area, a bedroom and a huge bathroom containing a bathtub and a shower. The room was immaculate and well-appointed. An outdoor porch overlooked Lake George. There are several dining options at the Sagamore including a casual restaurant, and an outdoor veranda Numerous activities are offered for visitors of all ages. We would stay at the Sagamore again and we recommend it to other travelers to the New York Adirondacks.

Stayed July 2008
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

We had always seen The Sagamore from boats on Lake George; the setting is magnificent. When we were invited to a June wedding, we decided to stay at The Sagamore, certain that it would be great. We were mistaken. The first sign of trouble occurred before we ever left home. We called the hotel the morning of our planned arrival to confirm the reservation prior to the 5 hour drive. The operator refused to put the call through to reservations, confirmed that a 5PM check-in was fine(though that is not what we were asking) and then hung up. We called back, got the same operator, who proceeded to say, "is this the woman I just spoke to? Well, if it will make you happy, I'll put you through to reservations", and then disconnected us. On the third try, and with a different operator, we we properly connected and got our answer. When we arrived, check-in was quick and uneventful but when we got to our Lodge, Building 7, room, we had to proceed down a flight of stairs into a smelly, musty, moldy alcove to get to the room. We opened the door to a small serviceable room, but hardly in line with the high price we were charged. When we opened the curtain, we saw a 10 foot deep hole reaching up to ground level. We called the front desk for a new room. After a few minutes they called back and asked if we could return to the front desk for new keys (Great Service?). We carried our stuff back up the stairs and went back to the front desk to get the key for new accommodations in Lodge Building 2. The room was no better, with tired worn out furniture in a dark and too small room, but it had the redeeming quality of being on the first floor, with no smell. Asking for another room was now out of the question as we were late to an evening commitment. The power supply to the room was obviously old in that an iron and a hair dryer could not be plugged in at the same time without blowing the single circuit breaker that served the entire room. We were in the dark 4 times. Is there anything nice to say about this place? Well, the wait staff at the Lake side eatery was excellent and friendly, that is the best of it. The final insult was an $18 fee that is added to the bill when you check out. It's hidden on the back of one form you are handed when you check-in but it's never called out to you (if you hunt on the website, they say it's $8 person/per day. I found it after some hunting when I returned home. That's not what I was charged, by the way, so they are inconsistent and sneaky. ) I believe in tipping the staff but I don't believe in hidden fees that are a defacto increase in the the room rate. I related our eperiences the front desk when I checked out and asked for this fee to be removed. They refused. We've stayed in great places all over the world. The Sagamore is not one of those places. For my money, a traveler to Lake George would likely do far better at the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn.

• Liked — The historical architecture
  • Disliked — Staff and accommodations are both insufficient.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 2Travelin
Winchester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

I've stayed at the Sagamore twice, once in the late fall of '07 and again right after Memorial day in '08. I was attending a conference and had little time to enjoy the resort.

What little time I did have was impressive. The setting is simply spectacular and offers a radical change from the run-down feeling of Lake George. The resort offers a great indoor pool and gym, lots of boating options, and tennis as well. The grounds are spectacular and service is excellent. The new restaurant is very nice though a little pricey.

My main complaint was the room. I believe I opted for the cheapest option but my room was essentially underground. It didn't matter to me as I was never there (and you may not be either given all the things to do) but take the time when booking to understand where you are located. The room itself was recently refurbished and nice but nothing spectacular.

As a guest, it appeared the conference was very well organized by the Sagamore and well executed.

All in all, the hotel is either a great value or a little tired, depending on what you pay and how much you enjoy the facilities.

Stayed May 2008
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

My extended family travels somewhere together every year. There are 15 of us, ranging in age from 64 to 3. We all tend to stay at luxury resorts 99.9% of the time. The Sagamore resort can hold its own with any of other fine hotels that we've stayed in.

At the Sagamore, we stayed in the historic hotel. Between us we had a two-bedroom suite as well as three other hotel rooms. All rooms more than met with the highest of standards. Clean, comfortable and well appointed. We all had third floor lakeside rooms and the views were incredible.

The staff (inc. housekeeping, wait staff, concierge, doormen, bellmen etc.) were topnotch.

We ate in all of the restaurants and made use of room service. In our five day stay we had no complaints with any of them. I have to say the breakfasts were to die for!

We rented ski boats through the hotel on two days and Pat and Brad (the drivers and ski coaches) were more than competent, fun and helpful. We just loved them. They were just great with the participating kids (ages 10, 9, 8, 8, 7 and 6).

I really could go on and on. It was a perfect vacation thanks to the wonderful Sagamore!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank tshughes
Day, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

My sister, sister in law and myself had a fantastic time at the Sagamore Murder Mystery Weekend. This is our third time back. The food was wonderful. Service impeccable. All the staff people were super helpful and courteous. Our Room was in the main hotel where all the action was. The room was clean and overlooked Lake George. The bathroom was spotless. The three of us took showers and never ran out of hot water. The Sagamore grounds are spectacular. I can't wait till next year

• Liked — Clean room and spotless bathroom
  • Disliked — hard to answer
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#26 of 87 in Lake George
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!