“Spend the extra and indulge in a historic room”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely perfect. This gem in the middle of Lake George sweeps you away instantly to a resort of magnificent relaxation. The governors suite with a lake view is worth every penny. Gorgeous suite with a perfect view of the resort and lake. The staff here are all genuine and sincere and go out of there way to make your stay perfect... Thinking of thing you don't even expect. Stay here for a romantic get away for two or bring the kids and enjoy a resort with plenty to do for everyone. A trip on the Morgan is not to be missed!

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel and the food and service was excellent. The property is so beautiful, you can forget about the few flaws with the rooms. We have no regrets and would return again. I read many other reviews and many indicated an aging hotel. Fortunately we feel that just adds to the charm

1  Thank 187RichardO
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that I had won a bid on a 2 nght stay and 2 rounds of golf at The Sagamore resort at a charity event. My husband and I and another couple decided to go and have a fun 3 days. My first issue I have is with their web site. I could not find any description or pictures of the room type that I could pick from. I am pretty picky about where rooms are located. My first mistake was trusting that this is a 4 star resort and any of the rooms would be nice. My friends paid $199 per night. So we arrive, check in and go out onto the beautiful veranda in the main hotel and have a drink. The resort is on a beautiful bridged island and the grounds around the main hotel are beautiful! After our drink, we made reservations at the La Bella Vita for dinner at 7pm. It was now 6pm. So we went to our room. Many of the rooms are in separate buildings - 6 to be exact. There are 3 levels in the building. Of course, our room was on the bottom floor. As we go down the stairs and enter the entry area to our room and my husband opens our door, I ask...do we have a window in the room??? I felt like we were in the basement. There was a set of sliders in the room that overlook the hill that is below grade of the main road. Not the best view considering the lake was all around the island. I wasn't happy with the room but decided not to complain. Off to dinner we go! Let me say that most of the restaurants were not open at the resort as it was the beginning of September so we dind't have many choices, in fact, that was the only restaurant open for dinner. They were not ready for us at 7 so we had a drink on the lovely veranda. 20 minutes later they bring us to our table out side. They have heaters in the ceiling that are really nice at keeping you warm and you can enjoy the beautiful lake view. Service was slow to start but we were OK with that. After our drinks arrive, our waitress takes our orders. 25 minutes later we get our starter and are told that dinner service may be a little slow because they have a large party in the dining room. Finally after another 1/2 hour, our waitress asks us if we would like another drink...yes, please! After 2 hours of getting seated, still no dinner. I get up and talk to the food service manager and was not pleased with the conversation we had...."I can't go in the kitchen and cook the food"! Off I go to the ladies room. On my way back, my party is walking through the doors and I am told that they are out of veal, which two of us had ordered. The manager then approaches us and tells us they found some and will cook it for us. We politely declined and left the restaurant without dinner.
Now I am a very tollerant person but this was just not right. I proceded to the front desk and vented about the room, the food service, and their web site that doesn't give you pictures or descriptions of the room type you get. Oh...they charge a $25 resort fee every day that you are there and they never disclosed that to us. The manager ended up coming out and upgrading both rooms with out charging us for the upgrade. Before we repack and bring our bags up the stairs to the 2nd floor room we inspect it and I must say, it was a very nice room! We had a kitchen living room, dining area, and separate bedroom and a little deck to sit out on overlooking the lake. We were very happy. People who were in the basement rooms all made comments....none very nice. The resort should disclose to customers what type of room they are getting - it would save them from having unhappy customers!
Another observation was that they had shut down many of the restaurants and that they were not well stocked with supplies in them. My feeling is, if you are going to be open, at least have stock to be able to give your customers what they order.
All in all, the area is beautiful but the service needs help! I would not got back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank jojoNH
Reviewed September 10, 2013

we recently stayed at the Sagamore for the 2nd time. It is beautiful, but not worth the money you pay. we bought the spa package and the massage was great, but suite was overpriced. we had 2 double beds and when i checked in i asked if they had king and he spoke with a manager and said they could do it. what i did not know is that it was more expensive. when i checked out price was a lot higher than what my orginal receipt said. outdoor pool was wonderful - very warm and relaxing. the indoor pool was not that great and floor was extremely slippery when your feel got wet. a big compaint i have is the electric fireplace in the room, which ended up with my son going to urgent care. usually these fireplaces are not hot to touch, but this one was and it ended up with him getting a burn and a trip to the urgent care (which by the way does not take my insurance and is 20 minutes away). a sign should be on the fireplace that they get hot! security (who was very nice) came to the room when i called the front desk to see where the local ER was , but when we checked out a manager did not even care to ask how my child was. we also had to fill out an accident report and still no on took the time to seee how he was, which was kind of disappointing. i take a trip to this area every year, but probably wont be returning to The Sagamore.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ghughes75
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Advertised as one of the great resorts in the U.S. what a disappointment this hotel/spa turned out to be. On the National Registry of Historic Hotels someone needs to update this place in a big way. We spent Labor Day weekend there and bought the "dining package" with the King room with the lake view. Not cheap by any means. Celebrating a joint birthday with my daughter I got a half hearted "happy birthday" when I checked in. The room was the size of a postage stamp not even large enough to fit a roll away bed for my granddaughter. They moved us to a slightly larger room with a broken air conditioner. Our second night with a window air conditioner making noise all night we couldn't sleep from the noise and the heat. The air conditioner blocked half of our "lake view" which I payed extra for. The rec facility for children was very dirty. The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. Bad "Goodwill" used looking furniture in this area. Beautiful pools but not children friendly. Too deep for little ones who can not swim and they did not provide any life vests so my granddaughter could not go in the pool. The elevator from the pool area into the hotel was also filthy dirty with old worn carpet that looked like it had not been vacumed in years. The food actually was good. The breakfast buffet was excellent. It was going well until our last night and my granddaughters pasta had rancid butter on it. They did not offer to bring her something else to eat. I guess because kids eat free under a certain age. The free boat ride around Lake George was very nice and a good hour and a half long. It was the best part of our stay. A huge disappointment overall. Except for Adirondack chairs everywhere you looked... there was no ambience for being in the Adirondack mountains....Would not go back if they gave me a free stay. They did adjust our bill by a few hundred dollars because of the broken air conditioning but for what we paid they should have compted one of the nights. One last thing it is highly unfriendly to the handicapped. Very un-accesible....The outside area of the hotel is lovely but they need to maintain the inside better...Perhaps we expected too much for how it is advertised.

Room Tip: If you go book a suite...even with an American Express Platinum card do not expect to be upgraded. D...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very disappointed in my recent stay at the Sagamore, the service was slow and the staff was at times rude. Our room key stopped working and it took 30 min for someone to let us into the room. One night we requested a shuttle back to our lodge, the front desk was so rude we decided to walk. This hotel needs new management. However, the view is beautiful and the grounds are lovely.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel
1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have returned to the Sagamore after almost 20 years. The place has changed. Pools, fitness area, and the views are magnificant. Food service is above average and a bit overpriced. The breakfast buffet at the Italian restaurant is excellent and worth the price ($22). The worst thing about staying in the main building is the loud noises. Kids are all over the place and out of control. Then, groups and young indiviulas stay late at night with loud outdoor conversations, including screeming. Room sound insultation is not good and you feel the noise, including rooms above you. If you need a relaxing and quiet time, the main building is not for you despite its great views of the water. The lodges may be a bit quieter, but water view is mostly obscured by heavy trees. Suites are not huge in size and are overpriced. As a couple with grown children, we probably will not come again due to the noise factor.

Room Tip: Lodges may be quieter but you have to walk to the main building to use facilities.
1  Thank TexasMte
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#5 of 89 in Lake George
The Chateau On The Lake - Chateau Rooms

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!