“Fantastic Family Trip”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our children booked three Lodge rooms at The Sagamore for a celebratory family 3 night stay. I was very upset to read the reviews posted in early July. We had a very positive experience for all involves ages 5 1/2 to 70! The Lodge rooms are a decent size and the furnishings need some updating! The linens more than make up for this...nice fluffy towels and high count linens. They were also fairly quiet which is very important. Yes, the Lodges are at a short distance from the hotel, we enjoyed the walk, and if we were tired the shuttles are always making their rounds.
We had breakfast everyday in the dining room and the food was delicious and beautifully served. We relied on local restaurants for our dinners. Lunch was good on the deck or at the pool overlooking the fantastic lake. The boat ride is part of the resort fee and was very enjoyable.
One suggestion to management: why have the two chairs and the TV on the same wall? Why not move the chairs to make them easier to use for TV viewing?
Otherwise a great time was had by all!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed at the Sagamore for three nights in a lower lodge room with a king. The room was a large size recently updated. It is a more affordable way to stay at this great hotel. Everything was immaculate! The staff couldn't do enough for you. Any request was taken care of within minutes! I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request building 1 or 2 so you can be close to pool and restaurants. Use a AAA discount if you book...
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Visited this past weekend for the fourth time in 3 years. There's a reason we keep coming back! Still, this is really a four-and-a-half star review. I'll share the pros and cons:

PROS
* Got upgraded to a duplex in the Hermitage, a converted carriage house. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and 3 TV's - nice! Though we missed having a lake view.

* Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, classy and congenial fellow guests, lots of activities in the rec room, a fun cruise around the lake, a family-friendly bonfire night we always enjoy. Movie night was fun too.

CONS
* Overcrowded pool area that is SERIOUSLY deficient in shade. My *whole* fantasy of this visit was that I'd sit poolside and have a waiter serve me drinks and lunch. Got to the pool and couldn't find a seat under an umbrella. When I finally did find a chair under a tree, was informed by the waitress that she was "too busy" to serve anyone in our area - even as she kept whizzing by with food for people sitting a whole flight of stairs down from us, on the water. Had to go fetch my and my kids' lunch myself, which took about 40 minutes of prime time. Sounds whiny, but come on, this is why you go to a luxury resort - to feel pampered and have a certain level of service.

* General scarcity during busy weekends. Our first night, we couldn't get into any of the Sagamore's upscale restaurants because they were all booked. Settled for Mr. Brown's pub, a sort of gastronomic purgatory for those who don't plan meals in advance. Got cold soup and indifferent service there.

* Kind of light on activities for grown-ups. It doesn't matter much when the weather is good, but when it rains, it bores. A few years ago they used to offer a midday gelato-making class that my friends and I loved. How about more fun stuff for adults?

But ah...I'll be back...that view, the scene, it's so good!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank miatagirl
Reviewed July 29, 2013

So Lake George is beautiful. No bones about it. But the Sagamore is lagging behind. In order to be a landmark hotel, it needs to re-invest in its rooms (the smell of mold was everywhere). The restaurants are good. The pools, boating docks and recreational areas are also very nice. It is, all in all, a very nice place.

However, the hotel is pricing in a SIGNIFICANT premium to other locations on Lake George as well as the Aderondack area generally. In order to justify that, more attention and updating to the rooms is a must.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Frazier E
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The scenic location of this hotel is just beautiful. The restaurants are all reasonable and a very good dining experience. The service is exceptional. The town of Bolton Landing and it's restaurants just add to a fantastic experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This resort should have at least 4 stars, if not 5. I was extremely pleased with the overall experience I had at the resort. It was a beautiful hotel with flawless customer service. Everything we wanted and more was given to us at this resort. We stayed in the Hermitage Suites which were big, clean, newly renovated, and more than we needed for two people. I would definitely stay there again with another couple because we had plenty of room. The kitchen was newly renovated and had everything we needed. The bathroom was very clean and so was the bedroom. I would highly recommend staying in these suites if you are not able to get a room in the actual hotel.

Now onto the pool area--the pool area was magnificent. We were able to get chairs after we visited the fabulous fitness center. This was at about 9 am. I would recommend, especially on nice days, to get out to the pool area before 10 am. The chairs fill up quickly and having a nice spot by the pool is key. The fitness center was everything and more. It was the nicest fitness center that I have ever seen at a resort.

Lastly--I'd like to comment the Pavilion restaurant right on the lake. Although we couldn't get a reservation until 9pm, it was perfect. The drinks were fabulous and the food was out of this world!!! We had mussels, crab cake, and the surf and turf. Every last bit of the meal was magnificent. I would highly recommend this restaurant to those who are staying at the resort, but also those who may just want a nice dinner..

I give this resort five stars without a doubt!!!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We used to like doing an overnight at the hotel but had not been since the new management took over and did major renovations. It is now awesome! Just beautiful! The service, which had been a previous weak point, is now first class. And the lodges, which were getting old and funky, have been totally refurbished. Dinner at The Pavillion was very good, and it's a beautiful setting. Complimentary little cruise on The Morgan the next morning was a nice perk. Best Bloody Mary ever. Treat yourself!

1  Thank Cherylesq
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#6 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!