“Old World Charm”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed July 9, 2013

There is no better or more beautiful location than the Sagamore. The views are gorgeous, and the facilities are lovely. The hotel still maintains the aura of a lost age of decadent splendor, particularly in the summer. Appearances are impeccably maintained. The problem is in the execution. We were there for a four night weekend over July 4. The lower level lodge room was fine though the AC was having all sorts of noisy problems. The TV did not work despite a couple of calls to housekeeping. Then there was the transformer outage, plunging the hotel into total chaos on July 4. Our dinner on the terrace was nice looking, but the food was terrible and very expensive (generally a bad combination). I believe this may have been due, in part, to the power problems. Brunch on Sunday morning was certainly ample, though service was very poor (at a buffet no less). The golf course is excellent but drainage problems continue to plague players on 6 or 7 holes. The pool area is absurd. WAY too crowded. All of the chairs are taken by 7 am. Really? Pool workers "save seats" and umbrellas for certain guests which is really shameful. The filter broke on the main pool and it was a cess pool of germs. A young child actually threw up in the indoor pool! There was a wedding 3 straight nights while we were there, which I think starts to detract from the main service for hotel guests. However, the view remains outstanding! I keep vowing I will not go back, but then summer comes around and I think about sitting in an Adirondack chair on the lawn, and I can't help myself but make that reservation!

Room Tip: Lower level lodge rooms are cave like and noisy from those upstairs. Ask for a room close to the ho...
3  Thank Cindy K
There are newer reviews for The Sagamore Resort

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room we had was small but nice. The bathroom was updated and clean. The pool area was very nice and overlooked the lake. The hotel is in walking distance to Bolton landing, but about 10 minutes from the city of lake george. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The concierge was very helpful and nice. We ate at the Italian restaurant in the hotel which was great! The hotel had daily scheduled activities for kids and families. It was a full service resort. They also offer a free boat tour of the lake on their boat. They have boat rentals, tennis and much more.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family visited the Sagamore years ago and loved the hotel and location. Hearing that the Opal Group has newly renovated the facility made us curious enough to go back, this time as an "older" couple without children. I had mentioned that there was just the two of us and asked for a modest room, but was surprised to find we had in a very large suite. Supposedly, this was the only room left, even though I made my reservation 3 months in advance. The room was much more than we needed and way too far from the main hotel. For the most part the staff was friendly and helpful, but the bar area was a frustrating mess. Food in all the venues was wonderful, but sometimes impossible to get a table. In fairness this was July 4th weekend, but I think the following best describes the Sagamore: great for families with lots of kids, but noisy and crowded if you are looking for an adult getaway. And way too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Make sure you know where your lodge is located. Some are far from the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Harradexperience
Reviewed July 8, 2013

OMG...when I had read on Trip Advisor before I left for my trip, about the spider problem at The Pavillion restaurant at The Sagamore, I couldn't believe it to be true BUT when we went for the 4th of July weekend, I couldn't believe what I saw!! First off, the hotel is beautiful. We were lucky enough to score a reservation at The Pavillion which is right on the lake to dine and watch the fireworks on the 4th of July. We weren't seated for even 2 minutes, and already things were crawling on me!!! We were a party of 6 and 3 of us could NOT take it anymore..spiders on the tables, the chairs, the rails, the floor, everywhere!! When we brought it to the attention of the staff, they sighed and said they are well aware of it but there's nothing they can do...they're not allowed to spray because it's on the Lake and that they've lost sooo many diners because of it. They were all SOOO nice and understanding. I felt bad for them as well. They were so accommodating however and set us up in La Bella Vita, their Italian restaurant INSIDE the hotel and it was wonderful!! The other 3 in our party did stay at The Pavillion and dealt with the bugs as they were not affected by their presence. They had a very good meal there as well. I feel however that this review is necessary for those out there who do not like bugs...this is an expensive restaurant and one should not have to dine feeling uncomfortable throughout the course of their dining experience. Thankfully we did get to see the fireworks before we RAN INSIDE!!

3  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Visited this report for three days while attending a conference onsite. The place has definite possibilities, but it is poorly run. The staff lacks training and diplomacy dealing with the guests. The rooms are smallish, but well appointed. Th furnishings are nice and the place is kept clean for the most part. The carpets in the hallways are water stained due to leakage from room showers in the rooms. The food is good and plentiful. Room service is very good and food comes fast and hot. Aside from being located far from NYC (5 hour drive) the place is large and expansive. If you decide to go here, make sure you get a room at the hotel. All other accommodations are second rate and not worth the high price of your stay. This is an expensive place overall.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The location of the Sagamore might just be the most beautiful spot in New York State. Right on the water overlooking Lake George, you can't get a better view. We went for a long weekend, our last getaway before our first baby. The pool and setting were perfect for relaxation, which is pretty much all an 8.5 month pregnant woman can do. But there are lots of activities for everyone--from kids to the outdoorsman. The insane price of the rooms is worth it for the view and amenities, but the room we stayed in was nothing to write home about. Small and somewhat outdated, noisy air conditioning--not bad (it was clean), but I've had much nicer rooms in much cheaper hotels. The front desk service was great, accommodating and polite. Wait staff could use a lesson in organization--the restaurant seemed a bit chaotic. Overall a great stay; I'd go there again in a heartbeat. Beware though: on top of the cost for the room, there's a daily $30 resort fee. It's supposed to cover the amenities (which there are a lot of), but I don't understand why they don't fold it into the cost of the room. Makes you feel like they're nickel and diming you.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Grnbeans
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were a group of 11 for a business supper. We were en route to Albany and decided to stop at the Sagamore for supper. Great choice as the settings is beautiful on the lake on well kept grounds. We were on the veranda and so we were able to enjoy the lake and the scenery. Food and service were very good and everyone enjoyed their meals. More than I could finish however. Nice touch when fireworks stating going off. When I asked the waiter if that was every night, he explained that the fireworks were ordered by a wedding party there that night. Nice !!! Overall a very nice resort based on our meal and what we experienced.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Tea Island Resort
#6 of 89 in Lake George
Courtyard by Marriott Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!