“Not that great for the price at all....”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went here in the Fall of 2012 and this was the first and last time I would ever stay here. It is certainly overrated and over priced. We went to look at the fall foliage. The room was ok but not worth $335 a night The service was average and a lot of things in the room didn't work. We went to the bar to eat the fish fry which is supposed to be the best but we thought for the price it was not at all. The food prices and drink prices were very high and you hardly got any food. The only good thing about this trip was the free boat ride around the lake to look at the fall foliage. That was great but I don't recommend this hotel at all. If it was more reasonable priced I would change my tune but it isn't going to happen.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tomtravelsalot

Reviewed May 22, 2013

strange mixed bag. Website advertised suite sale but when I called I had to badger them for this. Was told they assign rooms upon arrival. Arrived one hour past check in time and was given Lodge Building 4, which I could tell from the map would not have the view of the lake I was promised, sure enough the view was of the street curb and fire hydrant. We requested a change and were given building 2, excellent view of lake through trees. If the better building was available why not put us here in the first place; other hotels have given us free upgrades to attract future returns. Lodge room was beautifully decorated/recently completely renovated. Choose room stye carefully and ask questions to avoid facing the parking lot as some rooms do. Some missing touches: no bedroom window screens, light switches worked oddly, but the real issue for us was lack of kitchen item. Assortment of lids but no pots. Called operator for fry pan, someone came right over and they were very friendly. After that, stopped by front desk twice to inquire what should be in the kitchen, but there was never any followup. Had plates, glasses, silverware and serving spoons but no pots, toaster, cutting knives/board. Families with kids planning to cook should pack or inquire. Had Keurig coffee maker, but had to ask for more coffee as housecleaning gave all decaf; plus these hardly make a full cup. It is complerely shameful to charge $25 per room daily activity fee when there are no activities at all this time of year. None. Rec Center not open, Morgan bout tour not open, no programs or activities, outdoor pool not open, This money got us 2 normal bottles of water upon check-in only. Ha! oh and wi-fi too. Room card deactivated twice. Staff do not seem ready for the big season which is just one week away. Property is beautiful, nature trail pleasant, beds incredibly comfortable, bathroom great except what seemed like heat lamps did not heat, large private porch with two rocking chairs and electric fire place were especially enjoyable, we had a good time, and may return. Our concern is we expected more attention to details since this is an expensive resort.

Room Tip: lodge room selections vary so ask. some face parking lot, some face lake. lodges are a very short...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed May 21, 2013

By any account, this place has phenomenal views of Lake George. Stayed one night, in a suite, in the Historic Hotel. (There are other accomodations scattered around the property known as the Lodges. Some have views of the Lake) Because the resort just reopened for the season a few days earlier, we really had the place to ourselves. Rooms were good, high quality sheets, towels, shampoo and soaps, and comfortable beds. Flat screen TV. Coffee maker and refrig in living room part of the suite. Resort fee per room covers phone, valet parking, wifi, and fitness center. Asked for turn down service, and even called the front desk twice, but it wasn't forthcoming. Restaurant was a disappointment, dessert was stale. The resort deserves 3 - 3 1/2 stars, but is not a luxury 4 -5 star property. I think the staff could be easily overwhelmed when the occupancy is at peak capacity. Again, a special place due to its location, quality similar to a Hyatt family style resort.

1  Thank bjb57
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you are looking for a beautiful property to visit on Lake George, this is it. The setting doesn't get any better. This is a great place for a family traveling with kids, but could just as easily be a couples getaway. I've stayed here twice now and seen a noticable improvement in the service at the hotel since the last visit. My personal preference is to stay in the main hotel which has an old world charm to it. If you can get a room with a view of the lake, you will love it. The hotel offers several dining options, although if you are there during low season, some will likely be closed. The Spa, according to my wife, was excellent. Only complaint, which is a minor one, was that their cable channels are limited, so I had to venture off property to watch any sports, even though they have a really nice pub on site.

1  Thank Joggerjohnny
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was at the Sagamore for two nights for business meetings. The food was decent and the view magnificent. The room was fairly clean (i had one of the suites), but i found a hair (not mine) in the bed and the sheets were not changed from day one to day two. I'm ok with not changing the sheets everyday, but typically there is a sign giving the guest an option. The decor in the suite was a bit dated, but it was comfortable. My overall impression: The Sagamore is okay just not special enough for me to make this a personal vacation retreat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Sagamore has for 30 years been where we go for mother's day brunch. In the Trillium this used to be a great place to take mom. What the heck were you thinking taking this event to a conference hall, off the lake, with absolutely no ambiance? Who goes all the way out to Bolton Landing to sit in a room that feels like a wedding hall without the band, bride, groom or fun. We skipped it and just had lunch in the restaurant. This was so awkward that we laughed. When you say you are open it usually means you are also ready. We were treated by half the staff as if we had already done something wrong just by showing up. There were at least 20 servers running around setting tables but nobody seemed interested in getting a drink order from one of two tables seated. The bread that we were told twice was still baking came out cold after the second request. Long gone are the days when a white gloved waiter brought each mom at the table a flower and thanked them for coming. The food was pretty good, shame more people weren't eating. We were told they moved brunch in to a giant ugly room to "grow the event". Um, wasn't it enough to turn a room that seats at least 200 three or four times at brunch? If you were selling out that was because people liked it, why would you completely change it and coral people in to a windowless room? Oh wait, I forgot the best part. In the middle of this corporate event room there was a giant screen with a still shot of the the lake. Hilarous. The lake is across the parking lot!! There is a view of it from a beautiful and empty dining room!! Why oh why did you ruin mother's day brunch. Don't be greedy, be exclusive. If you sold out that is great. I would rather you increase the price but don't stick as many people in a room as you can and feed them like a college cafeteria, not on mother's day. Please, don't do this next year. I can assure you that you will lose your bread and butter customers, the ones like us that have gone every single year for 30 years. We aren't once a year customers either, my parents are there regularly all year. Save Mother's Day!!

8  Thank Chris W
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I only stay here when I have a business conference. Yes, the grounds are pretty. On site restraunt food is excellent, but it should be when breakfast with tip is almost 50.00, and no I didn't have the lobster and eggs. To get to the conference building there is a covered walk way, however, the sidewalk is full of many large cracks and things don't roll very smoothly.
There doesn't seem to be any long time staff. I don't think I would ever stay here on my own dime, for the 300 plus a night, I do have an appreciation for older historic building, but please get some better sound proofing windows especially above the employee area

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#4 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!