“The Grande Dame of Lake George”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We decided to embrace the cold on our anniversary an in the process were left with a terrific impression from a classic property.
I received a weekly travel specials e-mail that included a terrific weekend rate at the Sagamore. By the end of our stay, I would have easily paid double. On our way up there (driving), I called ahead and told them we were going to arrive late in the evening and would be hungry. They said that the restaurants and room service closed at 11:00pm but they suggested that they could arrange for a meal to be waiting for us in our room prior to the closing. I jumped at the chance and was thankful for the suggestion.
From the moment we checked in, the staff was warm and friendly. The discounted rate was for the Lodge rooms, not the hotel section (we knew that already), and we found the accomodations more than adequate for being considered "value accommodations." The rooms were large (200-250sq ft), and rustic. The bathroom was also quite large and well appointed. The rest of the property was impressive to say the least. There was a heated indoor pool w/hot tub, a fair sized workout facility and a spa. The resort occupies it's own little island on Lake George so I can see the appeal of getting away from it all during the summer.
The following day we were pleasantly suprised to find that there was a 4:00pm Manager's Cocktail Reception in one of the dining rooms. While we were enjoying this, we walked over to the concierge and had them make dinner arrangements for our anniversary that evening. When we returned to our rooms we were surprised by room service with a bottle or Per Secco and two champagne glasses.
Our only regret is that we didn't try all of the hotel's restaurants as we were only there 3 days. But we will definately return.
Kudos to the Sagamore and it's staff!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 13, 2008

Recently spent our first weekend at the Sagamore for a Valentines Weekend Special. My husband had set-up the weekend as a surprise. He gave me the information and I looked on-line at the resort and read the reviews. I am very happy I did not panic when I read many of the reviews. We travel quite a bit and we are quite picky. There was nothing to complain about, except maybe the price. First of all, I will note that we did not have a standard room. My husband really splurged with a lakeview governors suite, which was absolutely top of the line. I did not see the other rooms or the inside of the lodge rooms. Other than the rooms, the service, amenities and hotel itseslf would be the same for everyone.

The food was exceptional with great service. The hotel was beautiful and clean as could be. The service throughout the hotel was fabulous, from the bellperson to the maitre'd and everyone inbetween.

They treated us the way I would hope to be treated, especially for the quite high cost of the room. That being said, I have stayed at hotels that were just as expensive and did not get as good service.

I can't explain why there was such a discrepancy in the reviews, unless the hotel was really on the top of their game for the weekend when we were there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't have a problem laying out the $$$'s. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Long Island, New York

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank longislandmom_8
Reviewed January 18, 2008

If you go to Lake George,there is no better place to stay than the Sagamore. All water sports on site,tennis and racquet ball,good food and drinks. I like the one bedroom with kitchen and fire place on the lodge, I hope one day I can rent the castle by the lake !! The town of Bolton Landing (which I prefer over Lake George Village) is just outside the enterance to the Private Island.You can eat inside the Resort, cook or eat out on the town,all different price range,a supper market and grocery store next to the enterance,a very nice walk on a good day from the hotel or you can use hotel shuttle bus.You don't have to leave the resort and you will run out of time or money try to do all the activities on site,they also bus you to their Golf course(one of the best),horse back ridding or white water raffing.I send my son to their sailing school last year and he loved it.If you choose to venture out ,within 15 minutes to 1/2 hrs you can do just about every thing including rodeo.Lake Placid area is only about one hour away and there are planty to do there too !! Be sure to try out the Algonquin(next to Chic Marina) and the Log Jam Steak House(by the Outlets)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank cclui
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We spent New Years eve at the Sagamore in Bolton Landing after booking a one night stay directly through the resort. They were pushing a three night stay, but we were able to procure a one nighter, much to the chagrin of the resort management. Apparently the reservationist made a mistake when taking our reservation and when I called back to make a dining reservation I was informed that "somebody screwed up" and that they were not supposed to be booking one night stays for the holiday. Sounded silly to me, but anyways on with the review. We booked a "walk up" lodge room with a king bed. It was located in one of the outer buildings, about a five minute walk from the main hotel. The room was certainly adequate, clean, on the small side, but not spectacular. It was expensive ($256) for this type of accomodation, but it was New Years Eve and you expect to pay more. The property is nice, with lovely grounds and a beautiful view of Lake George. The historic hotel is very nice with a large fireplace, bellmen at the door, and some nice sitting areas. There are several restaurants and lounges at the historic hotel, all very expensive. We ate dinner at the Club Grill, which is located off site at the Sagamore golf course, about a two mile drive. The hotel has a shutle service for resort guests that brings guests to the restaurant and will also shuttle you around the property. While dinner was very nice at the Club Grill, it was also highly overpriced for the type of meal and service. The menu is al a carte, so expect to pay alot and receive relatively small portions. We saw alot of people that had returned from skiing at nearby Gore Mountain, the hotel also runs a daily shuttle to the mountain so you don't have to worry about driving. The hotel put on a pretty nice New Years eve party in adjoining conference center, with live music, hats and noise makers, horsdevours, and highly overpriced drinks. The Sagamore is a year round resort and is particularly nice in the summertime. The small village of Bolton Landing is walking distance from the hotel with lots of nice small shops and restaurants. It is a bit of a ghost town in the winter however.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pmso2
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Ok, we read all of the previous reviews on this site and we were very skeptical. But you people couldn't be more wrong about everything bad you had to say about the Sagamore. Believe, me, my husband and I are not wealthy people but if you are looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place, especially in the winter time. We had a Lodge Suite and we thought it was absolutely beautiful. Whoever said it was outdated must have extremely high standards. The rooms look freshly painted and is a very big room. Yes, this is a historic site, which only adds to the ambiance and charm.

The staff was extremely friendly to us and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Housekeeping came twice everyday. Once to clean the room and once to turn down our beds at night and leave chocolates.

As far as the price goes, it is expensive for a room but remember, this is a resort. We asked about the manditory 18 percent gratiuty and found out that a few years ago they did away with it and the staff were not getting paid enough so they had to bring it back. There were times on our trip when certain staff went above and beyond so we even tipped more. You have to remember that people in the service industry make their living on gratuities.

The hotel had such a beautiful charm about it and it reminded us of "The Shining" and they love it when you compare it, especially Billy the bartendar and the Veranda Lounge.

If you are looking for a cheaper destination, there are plenty of motels/hotels along Lake George that will fill your needs. The spa was beautiful, as was the heated indoor pool.

My last advice is do your own research because if you listen to all of the bad reviews on here, you may miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LITraveler37
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stay in Lodge 2 for six nights in a one bedroom main level. We had no problems with the staff or our room. It is true that they could use a good face lift. The room was dated, but very comfortable. I thing they could do better in the cleaning area outside the rooms.
The food and anything you order is expensive and the automatic 18% GRATUITY charge is out of order. I want to tip if the service is good, but not if it is mediocre. Our kids loved it and we over all had a great time. If you stay in one of the Lodges with a kitchenette or full size kitchen take advantage of it and you will save hundreds of dollars in food everyday. We cooked everyday and had no problem need extra groceries there is a supermarket right at the corner of Sagamore Road.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My husband and I spent a long weekend at The Sagamore in November. We were expecting great things as we had heard that it is an amazing hotel with lots of amenities, etc. Well, it looks very nice from the outside. The inside is starting to show wear and the rooms were quite small. The plusses were the view on the lakeside was very nice, the grounds were well kept, and the recreation facility is very nice (we like to play ping pong). However, the tiny room, rude staff, and limited dining which was no better than average in quality (remember we were there in November, this is probably not the case in high season) made our trip less than memorable. All in all it's a decent place but don't expect some magnificent retreat as you will not find it here.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#5 of 89 in Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!