“Stay here ONLY if you're bringing kids”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Cranbury, New Jersey
“Stay here ONLY if you're bringing kids”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My husband & I stayed at The Sagamore over the 4th of July weekend (Fri to Mon).  What a ZOO!

Friday afternoon/evening was great, had cocktails at the verandah relaxing with the view of Lake George before us. Dinner at The Pavilion was so-so; they were trying too hard (do NOT order the filet with lobster tempura, no idea what the chef was thinking with that lobster tempura).

Saturday was a beautiful day; took the brochure's recommendation to have breakfast before 9am (thank god, more on that later).  Got down to the pool by 9:30, and had a very difficult time finding 2 lounge chairs together.  We went looking for the advertised "adults only" pool and found only a group of chairs behind a gate, next to the table that held the pool towels that everyone needed.  Counter-productive.  There must have been hundreds of kids in the pool area, many of them with gigantic blow up pool toys.  Did I mention the pool is not that big?

Sunday was rainy, so we decided to sleep in.  Went down to breakfast around 9:30.  The breakfast restaurant, La Bella Vita, was crazy!  Standing room only in the waiting section.  We were told the same exact buffet breakfast was being served downstairs at Mr. Brown's Pub & that we could be seated right away.  Wrong on both counts.

The entire weekend was not terrible, the staff was great and very friendly.  La Bella Vita and The Club Grill had great food.  But the sheer number of people at the resort over the weekend was overwhelming.  From conversations with various staff, it seems that 4th of July is their busiest weekend of the season and this weekend was their busiest with over 1100 guests.  YIKES!  Not only was the resort full of their own guests, there were a lot of non-guests there during the day, using the facilities (lobby seats, the famed verandah Adirondack chairs, etc). It was bad enough dealing with the registered guests, but when you can't get a seat at your own hotel lobby, that's a problem.

This was definitely not the peaceful lakeside R&R we had planned.  For the $600+ per night rate, The Sagamore over-promised and under delivered.
It was a Four Seasons rate for a Marriott experience.

We may consider coming back during the fall sason, but the rates would need to be drasticaly lower.  We are definitely NOT coming back during the summer season.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank VacationRoRo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Mountainside, New Jersey
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We were sworn Sagamore supporters. We stayed three summers for a week from 2001-2003. We always felt the service was sublime and the Resort beautifully kept. We decided to return this year and were sorely disappointed with the level of service at the hotel. We stayed in a condo on the property for the first time and were promptly transported back to 1985 albeit with 2011 prices. The mattress was the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever experienced in a hotel. The hotel was full for the July 4th weekend and completely seemed overwhelmed and strained. At one point I asked my husband if The Sagamore was surprised that they had visitors. The Adult pool area was overrun with children and no Sagamore employees appeared to even notice. Room service was confused about whether certain items were available and responded to me "we are fully booked this weekend". I'm not sure what that means to a guest. Pool towels were littered everywhere and the waterfront restrooms were passable at best. I arrived expecting the amazing world class service and attention to detail we received in the past and left wondering what happened.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank susan222
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed at the Sagamore, and the whole experience was A-Plus. The hotel is gorgeous and the staff was warm and accommodating. It wasn't cheap, but we really feel like we got a lot for our money. There was a lot for our 11 year-old son to do, between the three pools, the lake, tennis, horseshoes, croquet, fishing, basketball and especially The Rec--the Sagamore's amazing recreation center. It's like an aircraft hanger with numerous activities including mini golf, whiffle ball, pool, foosball, board games and ping pong. There was also a Wii and an X box to use. Whomever designed this place really understands kids, because the Rec could handle many kids at once, and had activities to interest children of different ages. There were all kinds of activities every day as well--tours of the kitchen and gardens, s'mores with a guitar player around a bonfire, carriage rides, and even an ice cream social. Trips on the Sagamore's own ship, The Morgan, were also included. The crowd was upper middle class, with a good smattering of foreigners, and there were lots and lots of families, many with small children.

The restaurants were quite good, and the prices were just a little on the high side....not exorbitant. Our room in Lodge 4 was fine--not new, but clean and comfortable. We had to walk about 150 yards to the main hotel, but as we were right next to The Rec, the location turned out to be just fine. My only small complaint is that the outdoor pool was a bit warm, so that it wasn't really refreshing when the weather got hot.

We travel quite a bit, and this was one of the best vacations we have had, probably because there was so much for our son to do without leaving the grounds. Because he could stay busy, we could actually relax. We'll definitely go back to the Sagamore, and we'd like to bring friends next time. Three enthusiastic thumbs up from our family!

Room Tip: room was cheaper on expedia
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mominmoscow430
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2011

There are many renovations in place to expand this beautiful, historic property into a more "family-friendly" resort. This is where you lost me... I miss the upscale restaurant, silver plated logo flatware and the fact that it was opened all four seasons. My favorite space was the Veranda, almost a part of the lobby - it felt as if you were back on the Titanic. If I want to be around average families and screaming children I'll go to a Holiday Inn. Do what you need to do, but I won't be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dba80
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My girlfriend and I drove from Montreal on Friday and made it door to door in under 2.5 hours. Dinner on first night at La Bella Vita was delicious. Huge portions of great food.

We hit the bar afterwards for a nightcap and went to our room to relax. Our suite was comfortable with two separate rooms connected by a hallway with a kind of old-timey feel and a modern twist. Two flat screen TVs and a nice bathroom gave us plenty of room and comfort.

If I'm looking for a negative, the internet, although free, was extremely slow. I would gladly have paid for a better connection.

All things considered and having used the spa for Adirondack Hot Stone massages (expensive but worth it), I have to say that this is a fantastic place to spend a weekend relaxing. We ate well and slept well.

It's not cheap but the history and service make it worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I attended a conference at the Sagamore in early June. coming from LA I was looking forward to staying at aHistoric Hotel - from the photos it looked lovely - until they showed me to my room - well over $400 per night for a view of a parking lot with "historic 1970's decor!"
The room had a foul odor and the front desk was less than helpful. The so-called Lodges are never shown in the publicity materials and I was duped paying for my room what others attending the conference paid for lovely rooms in the main hotel. Don't go to this place and get stuck with a lovely view of the parking lot - go somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Don't go if not in main hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank devjob
Plainville, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This hotel was perfect in every way -- great rooms, fabulous food, and attentive staff. We had a 3-day business meeting here and although we typically go to a different place each year, several people in our group stated they would love to go back to The Sagamore. From the renovated rooms in the main hotel to the breathtaking views that surround the hotel to the beautifully manicured grounds, there is not one negative thing I could say about this place. . . . and I heard only praise from the rest of my group as well. This hotel is definitely a winner!

Room Tip: The waterview rooms are the best, of course!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#24 of 88 in Lake George
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!