“Pros and cons”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Contessa Lake George Motel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
“Pros and cons”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom cabin. Very clean excellent view of the lake. Owner and his daughter were very nice. A few things that i personally think its missing is some hooks n the walls since there is not one closet. Has no iron which we needed and the walk to the lake has a very steep hill which definitely made the view spectacular but was not easy to go back and forth. Overall I would recommend it. The kids loved the playground, ping pong and kayaks.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank jomici

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were there for three nights in August- 2 families with three kids. The cabins that they say they have are in fact houses with 4 different apartments. One night, we could not sleep because the guests next door (they did not mean to do it) were moving the chairs and it made a lot of noise. The house has a beautiful view, it is clean but it is too basic, and it has some kind smell that would not go away. I would not go back there, but as far as I could see from the internet this place looked as if it was one of the cleanest in town at a reasonable price.

Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The view is just spectacular, the room was neat and cleaned daily. Air conditioning worked well, which could be crucial in hot weather! Rooms are right next to each other but we rarely heard sounds. More hooks for wet towels and swimsuits would be helpful ;o)

Room Tip: Efficiency room was just fine if youplan to eat 2-3 meals a day off premises. Microwave, small kitc...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island NY
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family has been vacationing in the Lake George area for over 50 yrs. starting first in Diamond Point and working our way up the lake to Bolton Landing. We found the Contessa Resort and have made it our annual vacation stop. We are in our 40th year here! The location is perfect and the views are spectacular. Bob, the owner, makes improvements ever year keeping the grounds, cabins, pool and dock area in great shape. Yes there is a hill that you go down to get to the lake but there is parking if you are unable to walk it. Without the hill you would certainly lose the view which is well worth the exercise. My family rents 3 or 4 cabins and between the kitchen and barbeque grills we rarely go out to eat, choosing instead to sit outside on our deck and look out onto the lake. My children are grown now and still find the time to come to the Contessa (usually bringing a friend) for part of the week. The resort's location is close to town and the public beach. It is perfect for us and we look forward to going back next year.

1 Thank jgiamb88
nyc
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We go to Lake George & Bolton landing often. I use trip advisor to help me find a place to stay so I thought I would give back to fellow travelers. The Contessa had many positives, but I thought people should know the drawbacks that Bob the owner may not tell you when you call.

Positives:
The rooms were very clean, spotless as a matter of fact. Didn't find one bug or one spot.
The showers were wonderful, and the towels were good too (something you don't often find in a hotel/motel in that area)
There is a full size fridge which was nice.
You could see the lake from porch as we were told.
There is a view of the lake from the pool as well which is a very nice luxury.
Plenty of privacy.
Daily maid service

Drawbacks:
No shampoo or conditioner in the bathrooms
the kitchen does not have an oven, stovetop, ANY flatware or silverware
Air conditioner unit is right next to the bed and VERY loud, but it is cool enough most nights that you won't need it.
The biggest drawback which is what inspired me to post this, and that I am very disappointed that I was not told, is that you cannot access the lake easily. It is a VERY steep hill to get close to the lake. I went there once and was panting on my way up. What a shame as the reason I chose Bolton landing was so I could enjoy the lake. I was very disappointed that I was misled about this.
One more thing I was misled about, which I am also disappointed about, is that you canNOT walk to town from there, even though it is close. It is too dangerous of a road to walk and no sidewalk of any sort. So don't count on that either.

All in all it was nice to have somewhere SUPER clean and spacious, and be able to see the lake from the porch, but I just wanted everyone to know exactly what to expect.

1 Thank traveljun1115
Contessaresort, Owner at Contessa Lake George Motel & Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
I have to agree with most of what this reviewer wrote except:

All of our cabins and two bedrooms suites offer full kitchens, our rooms and one room suite do not. The rooms have fridge/ freezer, microwave, and small sink nothing more. The one room suite adds a coffee maker, and gas grill, no where on our web site or in conversation is anyone told that it offers a gas range/ oven, or the cooking and eating utensils of the cabins. Our cabins and multi bedroom suites offer plates, glasses, cups, silverware, pots and pans, and utensils.

Although there is no sidewalk along the road, I as well as my children walked that road to town every day while growing up, and I see hundreds of others doing so as well.

We do have a steep hill to the lake, however we have a parking lot at the lake and guests as well as boaters can park there and use the lake. I myself use a golf cart going up and down the hill.
New Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just got back from staying at the Contessa Resort for a week. It is our second year staying at the Contessa and I wouldn' t stay anywhere else. It has great views, very clean, and Bob is very helpful.

There was a family there the same week, that were loud and rude. My brother and sister-in-law were staying in the motel next to them and asked them several times to please keep the noise down as they have to young daughters who were trying to sleep. We understand that everyone is on vacation and wanting to have a good time, but these people are just rude. We had to call the police because the next day one of the men said to my sister-in-law "am I making to much noise".

Bob was very nice and said we should have gone to the office to make him aware of the situation.

Once again the Contessa Resort is a great place to stay. I would recommend the Contessa to all my family and friends.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

So my family trip to the contessa resort was not enjoyable at all. It started in the reservation process where he would get annoyed if you called with questions about what is available before you get there. i was planning an original trip for me and 7 other members of my family. Its a lot of people to please. Then upon arrival when we checked our two motel rooms which are promised to have two double beds each actually had 1 double bed and one pull out couch in which you must attach yourself. We ended up having extra people so we rented a third room. Dumb mistake. The first night i locked myself out of my room and walked to the office to see if i could get some help. there was no help but all of the extra room keys were hanging in the "open to public" office. i took my room key unlocked my door then returned it. after that my friend went up and took all three keys to the rooms we rented cause we were scared. Upon returning them to him in the morning because i didn't want trouble he said he didn't even know they were gone. your family would never be safe here. anyone can walk into the office take your room key and rob you or maybe something worse. the second day we had a pantoon boat rented which i also upgraded. there was no ladder. the horn and radio didn't work. when we returned the owner ripped the ropes out of my boyfriends hands when he was trying to help. completly rude. By the end of the trip i couldn't get out of the quick enough. the view was gorgeous but i will never plan a trip there ever again. Not worth the money at all. complaining to him is irrational because he has the mentality that because he's in lake george he doesn't need to please his customers or be nice. i just hope this review helps someone actually plan a great vacation far away from the contesse resort.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank tuglife88
Contessaresort, Owner at Contessa Lake George Motel & Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
When ever someone wants to rent one of our motel rooms they are always told they have one queen bed and one queen sofa bed, which is made up, ready to sleep on, all you have to do is open the bed at the end of the day. Some people don't like that so at least they know what we offer, why would you try and hide that?? This group made their reservation months in advance and were coming here specifically for Log Bay Day, which is a huge party on the lake and were told like every one else what our rooms contain. They were here to party which is fine, except when you start to disturb other guests it becomes a problem. the noise level should be toned down by 11 PM.
In the morning the guest in the next room came to me to complain that they had kept his family awake until 4 in the AM by these people. He had tried to talk with them and asked them nicely to please tone down the noise at 2 AM. An argument pursued and threats were made by by the group against the man. I asked why he didn't call me or the police and he said he didn't want to disturb me at that time of the morning. The second evening there were problems between the group and the same neighbor. Another neighbor got involved and the police were called. The outcome was the police told them to keep the noise down after 11 PM, families want their children to go to sleep at that time.
I din't for see this kind of problem with people that come for a party and families being in the same place. I guess if you want to party it up all night long you should stay in Lake George Village.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#1 of 8 in Bolton Landing
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,519 reviews

Been to Contessa Lake George Motel & Resort? Share your experiences!