“THE BEST Place We Have Ever Stayed!”
Review of Northward Ho!

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Northward Ho!
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We have been visiting Lake George for years, and finally, decided to stay away from the village of Lake George a couple of years ago. Found Northward Ho then and have never looked anywhere since. It's on a beautiful quiet part of the lake that is ideal for swimming. The property is spotless! Don is a wonderful host that will go out of his way to make your stay wonderful. We were thinking of taking our kids to The Great Escape one day and he sells discount tix. When my husband talked to him about the tix, he phoned around to see if we could tix cheaper and looked up the hourly forecast for us since we knew the forecast was iffy and it was our last day. How nice is that?! We love staying there and will never stay anywhere else! So relaxing!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NewJerseyBossFan
There are newer reviews for Northward Ho!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have been going to the Roessler's Northward Ho! cottages for many years. It feels like going home when we come back every year. Lots of the same families come back year after year and we've really enjoyed this aspect, like getting back together with family you haven't seen for a while. The family who runs this property take pride in their business and it shows.
This is not a fancy motel, but it's clean, well-kept, and quiet. They have a beautiful location in Huddle Bay on Lake George. There is dock space available for those with boats. Cottages, small efficiencies and motel rooms are available. It is difficult to get one of the cottages because of the repeat business from year to year. Returning customers get first chance at the end of the winter to rent their unit for the same week each year, but openings do occur. Even the efficiencies are enough for a small family as each unit has an outdoor grill and picnic table in addition to the small fridge and small stove inside.
There is a nice pool and of course beautiful Lake George. There is a small sandy beach area with a swim platform and a dock you can jump from. Very safe for kids. Also a playground area with swings, a basketball net, and a game room with ping pong and foosball. This motel is located close to Bolton Landing, so you have access to the stores, restaurants and marinas in town. Only about 15 minutes to drive to downtown Lake George, too.
And perhaps the best - the fresh made donuts and coffee in the coffee shop/snack bar every morning!

Room Tip: It can be hard to get a good location down closer to the water but definitely choose this option if...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Northward Ho has a retro vibe, but what's nice to know is that it's extremely clean and very well run. One look at the grounds tells you exactly what you're in for: there's hardly a blade of grass out of place.
We stayed here twice last summer. Once pretty much by happenstance. The second time, we were fleeing a bad experience at another resort. It was a huge relief when we called the Northward Ho and they said they could take us.
We stayed in a cottage both times. The decor is basic but you could eat off the floor. The beach is small but there's a big deck down by the water that has a very nice view.
There are a lot of old-school resorts on lake George but it's hard to know which are nasty and which are nice. The Northward Ho is definitely one if the latter.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank 1ta
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have been coming to the Lake George area since the late 70's and early 80's with my family. There is no better place to stay than Nothward Ho! In my later years I still frequent this establishment. My most favorable review on Trip Advisor will always be Nortward Ho!
When visiting Lake George, location is key. It is worth staying in Bolton Landing than the Village. It is just 10 miles north, and this town is Heaven on Earth, so beautiful.
As for this wonderful motel, don't expect luxurious, instead enjoy simplicity, cleaniness, and peace. When I visit the Adirondack region, this is what I want.
The rooms and cabins are comfortable and cozy. The views at the lakefront are spectacular. Bolton Landing is the prettiest area of Lake George.
The grounds of this motel are beautiful. So manicured. This is the cleanest motel in the area. One of the best I have seen anywhere.
If you come in the summer there is a small breakfast area serving homemade donuts. Always a treat.
The clientele at Nortward Ho are mostly return customers. The people who stay here know this place is a gem and are respectful. I recommend this this place to friends and acquaintances
To conclude the owners of Nothward Ho!,the Roessler family, and most notably Donald have kept this place true to form throughout the years. Thanks Don for being so accomodating. My best memories in life with my family have been with Northward Ho! Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank GREGG1971
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Spent 5 days at Northward Ho in late August. I hadn't been to the Lake George area in 25yrs. Other family members have stayed at Northward Ho in the recent past so we gave it a shot. Though not a modern resort, the rooms and grounds are very clean and well kept. More importantly, Don, Gunther and Mimi are so delightful that they made our stay even more enjoyable. Location is great. I'd rather be close to Bolton Landing than in the town of Lake George-which is only 10 miles away and a pretty drive.

Room Tip: Motel efficiencies all have gorgeous lake views.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Virginia G
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I grew up going to Lake George with my family since I was about 6 months old. My parents always stayed at Northward Ho and have known the owners (now retired and their son Don runs the motel) for 30 years. This year we took my 12 month old son there! It hasn't changed much in 30 years but is clean, neat and very well-maintained. The German family that runs the motel is extremely dedicated to cleanliness (a huge plus near Lake George where many hotels there have a beachy, often buggy, and unclean atmosphere).

The motel is located just a few miles away from Bolton Landing town, which is quaint little town with a small supermarket, cute restaurants and places to eat and some shopping. It's also only miles away from Lake George village and the Lake George outlets.

The motel is right on the lake, has gorgeous views if you stay in a room near the lake. They have rowboats for guest use and a rec room with ping pong, foosball and coffee and homemade doughnuts in the morning, which are just amazing.

Highly recommend this motel!

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet, rooms near the lake offer great views
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TML214
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I have been going to Lake George and the Northward Ho for years. Each visit, I have a great time staying at the Northward Ho. The location is great - right on the water (you definitely want to stay at a place on the lake when visiting this area), in Bolton Landing, but still close to the town of Lake George. The rooms and cabins are simple, but very clean, and have an "adirondack" atmosphere. The rates are reasonable. The staff is very friendly and does a great job maintaining the grounds. Each morning, they make home-made donuts - which are delicious! I have family members that have stayed at other places on the lake (when the Northward Ho is not available) and have had horrible experiences - dirty rooms, bugs, ect. I have never heard any such complaints about the Northward Ho. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
The Point
The Point
#5 of 8 in Bolton Landing
Golden Sands Resort on Lake George

Been to Northward Ho!? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Northward Ho!

Address: Lake Shore Drive, PO Box 464, Bolton Landing, NY 12814-0464