“Eh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Carey's Lakeside Cottages
Los Angeles, California
“Eh”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed here for a friend's wedding. I was underwhelmed. The room was damp and dark, the bed was hard, the bathmats were paper, the walls were paper thin (we could hear people snoring in the next room) and there was a falling-apart stuffed deer head above the bed.

That said, everyone else who goes to vacation in Bolton Landing seems to love it. I'm not sure what that's about; I guess maybe this is the type of low budge stuff they do in Bolton Landing and Carey's does it well? I don't know. It's just not really for me.

It must be said though: location is great. Right on the lake, and walking distance to town. And the people were v friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I really don't want to say good things about Carey's because it's my and my husband's weekend get-away place...but Carey's is absolutely the BEST place to stay in Bolton Landing - or even Lake George (which is about 15 miles south of Bolton). We live in northern NJ and just a 3 hour commute from Carey's, but it's an entirely different atmosphere up there. So peaceful, laid back, and totally inviting. Yes, it's family owned (a warm, generous, friendly family!), and it's been around for years, and it hasn't been remodeled, and they haven't 'sold out' to the huge corporate chains...and that's the best part about it. We make our reservations and let them know that we won't be in until after the office closes, so they leave the light on for us in our room and we just check in and settle up the next morning...no worries. If you need anything, they have it or will get it for you. As I told a friend, it's not a 5-star resort, but then again, it's Lake George...home of the campers! It's a charming rustic place, with comfy/cozy rooms - some with fireplaces and kitchenetts, there are propane grills for your use, a small play area for the kids, and a larger beach then some have mentioned. There are canoes and kayaks for your use, as well as beach lounge chairs...and there are plenty of chairs to go around. We bring a bunch of books, a portable radio, some wine and cheese and we are absolutely set for the weekend! The actual town of Bolton Landing is a short walk away, and there are many sights to see while visiting. But, don't go to Carey's if you're expecting plush furnishings and top name toiletries. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of cell phones, TVs, computers, traffic, nasty people, etc....then definitely go to Carey's.... You will absolutely NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NJscubaDiva
northport, n y
Reviewed September 15, 2008

This is not the type of place i would ever chose to stay at but was forced to due to a local wedding. It was surprisingly clean and a throw back to the fifties. With some updates it could be fabulous. A great dock-the photos do not do justice to it...for the low price it is well worth a try..

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank adriNorthport
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I just retuned from a three day stay at Carey's. We were invited to a wedding at the Sagamore and were looking for a more reasonable place to stay.. and we found it at Carey's.
I traveled with my own family, my parents and my sister's family. We had three cottages right next to each other. My parents had an effeciency which was perfect. They get up early so it was great that they could make a cup of coffee and then relax on the porch. My sister had a room which was more like a hotel room and we had a great room with a fire place .
Yes, some of the rooms have deer heads hung up on the wall. I don't mind this as I grew up in the country and am very used to this... If it bothers you ask for a room without.
We really enjoyed our stay and if it weren't for a yearly family trip to the Finger Lakes I think I would try to make it back this year. It's perfect for families.. close to the lake with a little beach front. You can also take out the canoes or rowboats free of charge..They also have life jackets for you to use. The beach isn't that big but it's plenty and the water is clean .
Carey's is also close to town, you can walk it easily.
The rooms are clean, the people who own it are great as are the people staying there. Everyone was so nice.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank ttravelerbug
Michigan
Reviewed April 16, 2008

My husband and I had a getaway trip last year and found Carey's on the Web. We went during pre-season (late May) and just loved it. It was very chilly when we were there, so we were able to use the fireplace. It was cozy, inviting, clean and very nicely kept.

I agree with the reviewer who mentioned how nostalgic it all is...really takes you back in time. We were passing through, so we only stayed one night that trip, but we loved it so much we are going back to stay a bit longer this time. Do check this place out if you're in the area!

• Liked — The beautiful cabins. Felt like I stepped back in time.
  • Disliked — I liked everything.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Mineola
Reviewed June 26, 2007

With the weather super & the temp's in the 90's, what better way to start summer than a couple of days on Lake George. Carey's Lakeside is still like an old friend. The rooms were spotless, and the people who own the place are as nice as always. We come here for a enjoyable vacation, nice rooms & grounds. And the beach, ( not to big ) which always has friendly people enjoying the lake. If you want a fancy, high priced stay, go to the Sagamore( and we go there too ). But if you want to remember a simple, quiet ,old fastioned stay come to Carey's.

2 Thank Chief160
New York
Reviewed July 22, 2006

I just got back from a weeklong vacation at Carey's with my wife and one year old son. We loved it.

Our room was done in a rustic style, with wooden beams and a big stone fireplace (which we would have tried out in another season). We had a small kitchenette, with a mini-fridge, stovetop, and sink. The bathroom was small but clean, with a stand-up shower.

The hotel spans a grassy slope leading down to the lake, where there is a sandy beach, a large dock, and plenty of lawnchairs under shady trees, perfect for reading, snoozing, or just staring out at the beautiful view.

Carey's has been run by the same family for 50 years (three generations work there now) and the service is friendly and attentive. Although not fancy, everything is meticulously upkept, clean and comfortable.

Some nice surprises: A swingset with baby swings for our son; a rec hall with vintage video games like Galaga; rowboats and canoes free for guests to use; outdoor gas grills for your barbecue.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#2 of 8 in Bolton Landing
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to Carey's Lakeside Cottages? Share your experiences!